16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 5:03 AM by Newsgroup_User

css general question

jquest4
      I have a blank page, (home page), inserted a table in which most of the page will be created from. Do I define in (new style sheet) or would it be better to use (this document only)? If I use (this document only), does it create a css page, or does it only keep the info in the (head) on that page?
        • 1. Re: css general question
          gg8899
          If you're using CSS, you could probably create a table without having to insert a table by using <div>s. It's a lot easier to control.

http://www.chlamydia-test.co.uk
          • 2. Re: css general question
            Level 7
            On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 03:00:33 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I have a blank page, (home page), inserted a table in which most of the page
            >will be created from. Do I define in (new style sheet) or would it be better to
            >use (this document only)? If I use (this document only), does it create a css
            >page, or does it only keep the info in the (head) on that page?

I think you mean - do I use an external file sheet - in a separate
            file such as style.css

or do you put the css in the <head> section.

Well it is usually far better to put the css in an external file
            sheet. and link to it from each page.
            Then you just keep the code in one place, all pages can use it - and
            if you make an adjustment - you only do it once and it affects all
            pages.

You can still put some css into the <head> of an individual page - if
            it will only apply to that page - but even then there are better
            ways.............

give a page an id and make the css only work on that page

html
            <body id="specialPage">

css

#specialPage .specialCSS {..}

--

~Malcolm~*...
            ~*
            • 3. Re: css general question
              jquest4 Level 1
              Malcolm_, I think were on the same 2 pages, but I'm on the other one LOL. That is where I'm getting confused. The book mentions that it is better (for site management) to make a separate css style page just for the home page. But thats here nor there at this point. I'm confused on how to create the two different types and what they actually look like. For an external sheet, do I actually create a folder in the root folder and call it "css", or does the program do that for me when I use the "define in _ new style sheet file" choice. Also, If I use "this doc only" choice, is there a sheet that it creates or does it all stay in the "head" on the page I'm building?
              The learning curve is killing me!
              Thanks for all the help in advance.
              • 4. Re: css general question
                Level 7
                On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:47:21 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"

>Malcolm_, I think were on the same 2 pages, but I'm on the other one LOL. That
                >is where I'm getting confused.

ok :-)

>The book mentions that it is better (for site
                >management) to make a separate css style page just for the home page. But thats
                >here nor there at this point.

Depends - sometimes web sites do have a front page quite different to
                the rest of the site - and maybe that does make sense.

But there will be many css styles that will still be common to both
                home page, for example fonts, font sizes etc etc. In that case, I
                would define everything in the main style sheet(s) and then just have
                either have another style sheet that modifies styles for the home page
                - or if only a small number - put them in the <head>

>I'm confused on how to create the two different
                >types and what they actually look like. For an external sheet, do I actually
                >create a folder in the root folder and call it "css", or does the program do
                >that for me when I use the "define in _ new style sheet file" choice.

That's a mater of personal taste. I personally always put css style
                sheets in a separate folder and make it css. Likewise with images -
                they go in a folder called img.

Dw won't do it automatically - you just need to define it in the file
                manager and when you use Dw - tell it to put the external css sheet
                there.

>Also, If
                >I use "this doc only" choice, is there a sheet that it creates or does it all
                >stay in the "head" on the page I'm building?

not automatically

Looks like you are just using design view and don't know much code ???
                As always - it is so much easier if you understand the code

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
                " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                <head>
                <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
                <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
                <title>Untitled Document</title>
                <link href="../css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
                <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" -->
                <link href="../css/homepage.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                <meta name="Description" content="Test document" />
                </head>
                <body>
                </body>
                </html>

Note the link to the style sheet for the home page is in the editable
                area of the head - ( using Dw templates )
                This link would NOT be in the template file ( don't want it loading
                into pages other than the home page.
                But you add it later to the home page.

because it is loaded AFTER the main style sheet - its contents will
                override those in the main.css.
                --

~Malcolm~*...
                ~*
                • 5. Re: css general question
                  jquest4 Level 1
                  Ok, now were on the same page. Your explanations are making this clearer and are greatly appreciated.
                  I think if I could have a few more interactions with you, I could grasp this hole thing right here. I don't want to consume your hole life (LOL) but could I ask you a few more?
                  • 6. Re: css general question
                    Level 7
                    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:45:31 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"

>Ok, now were on the same page. Your explanations are making this clearer and
                    >are greatly appreciated.
                    > I think if I could have a few more interactions with you, I could grasp this
                    >hole thing right here. I don't want to consume your hole life (LOL) but could I
                    >ask you a few more?

OK lets find the same paragraph :-)

Fire away
                    --

~Malcolm~*...
                    ~*
                    • 7. Re: css general question
                      jquest4 Level 1
                      Ok, I created a new folder in the root folder called "css' I didn't put a dot (.) before it. Is this correct?
                      I am using the split screen and am trying to learn the basics first, while learning the code as I go. I have most of the panels open on my laptop, and the document window (w/the split screen) on my remote monitor on my right.
                      I understand the cascading effect of the sheet v/s the head hierarchy for the most part. If I wanted to make a style sheet for the home page (final.html) the book says to press the "new css rule" button on the css panel. Then this opens and then I hit the "new style sheet" button, then the "Save as" panel opens and I save this in the "css" folder. I name the file ".final" ? or ".finalhtml.css" or ????? Also, I just noticed the -document/ site root- drop down on the bottom of the save as window. Should this be entered as "site root" relative???
                      Or am I just totally lost?

• 8. Re: css general question
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:02:00 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"

>Ok, I created a new folder in the root folder called "css' I didn't put a dot
                        >(.) before it. Is this correct?

yes

> I am using the split screen and am trying to learn the basics first, while
                        >learning the code as I go. I have most of the panels open on my laptop, and the
                        >document window (w/the split screen) on my remote monitor on my right.

lucky you - I don't have a second screen - I really must get one.

> I understand the cascading effect of the sheet v/s the head hierarchy for the
                        >most part.

> If I wanted to make a style sheet for the home page (final.html) the
                        >book says to press the "new css rule" button on the css panel. Then this opens
                        >and then I hit the "new style sheet" button, then the "Save as" panel opens and
                        >I save this in the "css" folder.

Yes - ok

>I name the file ".final" ? or ".finalhtml.css"

no don't put a dot in front
                        the name of the file doesn't really matter, but use a name that
                        describes what it is for yes. So if it is for just the home page - one
                        name would be homePage.css

>or ????? Also, I just noticed the -document/ site root- drop down on the bottom
                        >of the save as window. Should this be entered as "site root" relative???

site root

> Or am I just totally lost?
                        >
                        maybe you were temporarily uncertain of your position, but hopefully
                        the fog is lifting :-) ?

--

~Malcolm~*...
                        ~*
                        • 9. Re: css general question
                          Level 7
                          On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:02:00 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"

> I understand the cascading effect of the sheet v/s the head hierarchy for the
                          >most part.

Ok just to emphasis:

look in the code view and make it look like this

<head>
                          <link href="/css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                          <link href="/css/homepage.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                          <style type="text/css">
                          .test {background-color:#FFFF00;}
                          </style>
                          </head>

Remember that it is the last style uploaded that is used - all
                          previous defintions are overuled.

so in this case - in the homepage ONLY the style sheet for the
                          homepage must be loaded last.
                          As I said before if you use a template - you need to put the link to
                          the home page inside the editable section:

<head>
                          <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
                          charset=iso-8859-1" />
                          <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
                          <title>Untitled Document</title>
                          <link href="/css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                          <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="head" -->
                          <link href="/css/homepage.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                          <style type="text/css">
                          .test {background-color:#FFFF00;}
                          </style>
                          </head>

note also that if you put a style in the header style section as here
                          - that two will overight a style in both main.css & homepage.css

- get it :-)

--

~Malcolm~*...
                          ~*
                          • 10. Re: css general question
                            jquest4 Level 1
                            Good one! LOL,
                            Ok, now the file shows up, I guess it was the site root relative gig. So, This is the page that controls all of the css for the home page? So then I edit this page directly? .......
                            The main reason I bought dreamweaver, is that it has the windows style interface and the code also. I assume that this css sheet can be edited not only with code on the page but with the panels also?
                            I notice that the page doesn't have any of the "www3 public' etc. identifiers at the top of it, is this normal or did I miss a button?
                            • 11. Re: css general question
                              Level 7
                              On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:25:09 +0000 (UTC), "jquest4"

>Good one! LOL,

aha - the fog is lifting :-)

> Ok, now the file shows up, I guess it was the site root relative gig. So, This
                              >is the page that controls all of the css for the home page? So then I edit this
                              >page directly? .......

yes - if you don't repeat a id or class name from the main.css - that
                              will still work in the home page.
                              repeating the tag, id or class in the hompage.css will overight it.

> The main reason I bought dreamweaver, is that it has the windows style
                              >interface and the code also. I assume that this css sheet can be edited not
                              >only with code on the page but with the panels also?
                              yes

> I notice that the page doesn't have any of the "www3 public' etc. identifiers
                              >at the top of it, is this normal or did I miss a button?
                              >
                              no - you must not have the <! DOCTYPE stuff in the css.
                              DW normally puts
                              /* CSS Document */

that is a comment - you ok with that ?

--

~Malcolm~*...
                              ~*
                              • 12. Re: css general question
                                Level 7
                                Going off line now for about 6 hours -
                                how the fog blows away
                                --

~Malcolm~*...
                                ~*
                                • 13. Re: css general question
                                  jquest4 Level 1
                                  It is all making since now. Probably the biggest learning curve, but what do I know. Ha.
                                  Hey, thanks for all of your help, you cleared up the biggest part of starting this.
                                  Again, thanks,
                                  John
                                  • 14. Re: css general question
                                    Level 7
                                    Malcolm has a hole life?

--
                                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                    Adobe Community Expert
                                    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                    ==================
                                    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                    ==================

"jquest4" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:g65rer$dp2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Ok, now were on the same page. Your explanations are making this clearer
                                    > and
                                    > are greatly appreciated.
                                    > I think if I could have a few more interactions with you, I could grasp
                                    > this
                                    > hole thing right here. I don't want to consume your hole life (LOL) but
                                    > could I
                                    > ask you a few more?
                                    >

• 15. Re: css general question
                                      Level 7
                                      On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:56:05 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                                      <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

>Malcolm has a hole life?

stupid English language / spelling :-)
                                      and messed around by you Yankees :-)

--

~Malcolm~*...
                                      ~*
                                      • 16. Re: css general question
                                        Level 7
                                        As I recall, that word has always had an entirely different meaning than
                                        "whole". And I go back quite a ways.... Back to the time when 'hole' was
                                        our entire universe. 8)

--
                                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                        Adobe Community Expert
                                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                        ==================
                                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                        ==================

"Malcolm _" <malcom@mon.org> wrote in message
                                        news:oq6e84pdrd62g33h6lar1akkqrpe22um0n@4ax.com...
                                        > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:56:05 -0400, "Murray *ACE*"
                                        > <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >>Malcolm has a hole life?
                                        >
                                        > stupid English language / spelling :-)
                                        > and messed around by you Yankees :-)
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        >
                                        > ~Malcolm~*...
                                        > ~*