3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 1:51 AM by velvetdodson1966

Why won't my pdf files open automatically any longer?

deannnnnnn

I installed Acrobat Reader 9 a few days ago and since then I am no longer able to automatically open pdf file.  When I attempt to open a pdf (double click the document icon) from any source, including those saved on my hard drive, a browser window opens momentarily then closes and a File Download window opens, giving me the option to "Open" or "Save" the file.  If Is select "Open" the browser window again opens momentarily then closes and I'm taken back to the File Download window again.  The only way I can open the pdf is to first save it to my hard drive and then right-click the file icon and select "Open with Adobe Reader 9."  This is not a problem for files that are already saved on my hard drive but it's a BIG PAIN when I'm just trying to open a pdf from a web site, for example I'm on my bank web site and want to briefly open one of my statements that's stored as a pdf.  I can't just open it. I have to first save it then navigate back to the file and then open the file with specific instruction to "Open with Adobe Reader 9."  HOW ABOUT THIS:  IF YOU ARE A PDF FILE AND I DOUBLE-CLICK YOU, DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.  JUST OPEN!

I've tried to find an option under "Preferences" that would let me specify that I would like pdf files to open automatically without saving to hard drive but so far to no avail.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Why won't my pdf files open automatically any longer?
          pwillener Level 8

I have read your post three times, and I cannot understand what your problem is...

1. What is your operating system?
          2. What is your browser?
          3. What is your Adobe Reader version?
          4. What - exactly - happens when you click on a PDF link on your browser?
          • 2. Re: Why won't my pdf files open automatically any longer?
            velvetdodson1966

FORGIVE MY COMPUTER / SOFTWARE IGNORANCE. MY PROFESSOR MADE A MISTAKE. SHE TOLD ME TO DOWNLOAD

ADOBE READER TO BE ABLE TO HEAR HER PODCAST LECTURES, BUT SHE REALLY MEANT TO TELL ME TO DOWNLOAD

AND INSTALL "QUICKTIME" INSTEAD. YOU SEE, I JUST LEARNED TODAY THAT ADOBE READER IS USED FOR PDF

FILES (VISUAL FILES), BUT QUICKTIME IS FOR AUDIO / VIDEO FILES AND THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED IN ORDER

TO 'HEAR" HER LECTURE! BUT I WAS ABLE TO GET THE RIGHT PROGRAM INSTALLED FINALLY, AND WAS ABLE TO

GET THE LECTURE DONE. THANK GOD!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING TO MY CRY FOR HELP. VELVET DODSON6

• 3. Re: Why won't my pdf files open automatically any longer?
              velvetdodson1966 Level 1

DEAN, I AM A RELATIVELY NOVICE ADOBE USER, BUT AFTER SEVERAL HOURS TODAY TRYING TO GET MY HISTORY

PODCAST LECTURES TO WORK, AND BEING TOLD ERRONOUSLY BY MY TEACHER TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ADOBE

READER'S LATEST VERSION TO GET THE PODCASTS TO WORK - I HAVE MANAGED TO LEARN A FEW THINGS ABOUT

ADOBE READER IN THE PROCESS. COME TO FIND OUT I DID NOT EVEN NEED ADOBE READER - I NEEDED QUICKTIME

FOR THE PODCASTS, BECAUSE ADOBE HANDLES PDF FILES AND QUICKTIME HANDLES AUDIO AND VIDEO FILES.

ANYWAYS, AS I WAS SEARCHING AROUND THE ADOBE SITE LOOKING FOR HELP, I FOUND AN ANNOUNCEMENT THAT

SAID THE NEW ADOBE READER 9.1 WAS HAVING SOME TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES AND WOULD BE UPGRADED AND

FIXED SOMETIME SUNDAY NIGHT ??? THEY SAID IT WAS SUFFERING FROM SEVERAL "GLITCHES" THAT HAD TO BE

FIXED AND APOLOGIZED FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE. MAYBE THIS "SERIES OF PROBLEMS" THEY ARE GOING TO FIX

OVER THE WEEK-END, WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM TOO??? SO THAT ALL YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IS REINSTALL IT OR

DOWNLOAD / UPGRADE? THE FIXED VERSION. YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THE WEB PAGE??? HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

WISH YOU THE VERY BEST!! VELVET DODSON