8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2009 5:33 AM by Benisho

Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4

Benisho Level 1

I don't know why but any PSD file that have transparency in it and placed on an illustrator document, printed with those frames around it (see example JPEG file that  I added). I tried to print directly to the printer and got those frames. I tried to create a postscript before and then PDF throe the distiller and still, the PDF print those frames. You can see the PDF that I added and examine it. You will see under the "output preview" that the parameters of the black background is the same around.

What is that?!

• 1. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I just printed this file on my Epson R1900 from Acrobat and it prints perfect?

The only thing I did was to go the the Advanced menu in Acrobat and then to Print Production and chose Flattener Preview and made the rsolution to the highest setting for line and gradient mesh and to check preserve overprint.

I do not think any of that had any effect the file prints fine. and crystal clear i must say.

See attache scan of a print I made. I can't help but think you printed in draft mode or you are using one out of date printer. And a very poor scanners as well.

img002.jpg

here is a detail enlargement. No squares.

Screen shot 2009-10-09 at 1.25.57 AM.png

• 2. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I just printed it from Illustrator and it is fine there as well.

I took a look t the file in Ai and there are some clippings paths that are not necessary but some are necessary so perhaps eliminating the unnecessary clippings would get rid of your problem.But you do not appear to have any transparent photoshop files in this art.

Screen shot 2009-10-09 at 1.48.09 AM.png

• 3. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
              Benisho Level 1

All you said about open the PDF and doing some flatten transparency, and try to open the PDF on Illustrator is not relevant, because, as I said created postscript file and drupe it to the distiller to create the PDF on Press Quality - so it did flatten the file with the highest quality and that's the reason that when you open the file on illustrator you got all those cuts and clippings.

about my printer and my scanner:

I just bought it. It's a color multifunction laser printers of Samsung - CLX-3175FN. I printed the file in 10% size and scanned it - that's why you thought its no good.

So you saied that you printed it and there was nothig wrong with it?

Can it be a RIP problem on a new machine?!

What do I do?

• 4. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That's what you posted and you said that you could not print it from either the pdf or the ai file.

I do not know if you have a post script printer but printing from acrobat should take care of that, the point i made was i was printing to a non posttscript printer and got terrific results.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way your printer is handling this file.

This is what you can try.

Open it photoshop, print from there as a flattened tiff.

Or

Flatten it and raster the art and print from either AI or Acrobat.

Or

export it from Illustrator as a tiff or a psd file. flattening the image and printing from either Illustrator or photoshop or Acrobat or ID.

Or

place the original Illustration file in a ID document and try from there.

You can try it as a smart object in Photoshop.

As for the relevance of my printing experience with this file,it is of no importance what happened to the file that cause the boxes
                the important thing is that it printed just fine and it should on your printer as well.

• 5. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
                  Benisho Level 1

say, in what printer did you print it?

was it laser?

if ill need to replace it - do you recommend on some specific model?

• 6. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I printed it on an Epson R1900 I am certain the R1900 is the best but this is not a laser it is an inkjet. So it prints fast for an inkjet about two or three minutes for a 8.5x11 print so it is much slower than a laser.

But the quality of an inkjet with images are much greater in my opinion. The R1900 I have save as a pdf and print from Acrobat if I have vector art in the document. It prints excellently from Acrobat and gradients print very well without banding.

I understand it prints excellent in OS 10.4.11.

There other Epson printers that do not have this problem and you can get RIP software for them as well.

I used a Canon inkjet previously and did not have this problem on the Mac in OS 10.5 but had some problems with gradients which I do not have with
                    the Epson.

The R1900 make outstanding  photographic prints and if you print those from Acrobat they are even better than excellent.

I mention it because it is one sale.

I  cannot give you advice on laser printers and as a photographer I do not need to usually do 100 or so prints, nor do I ever need to collate the pages.

Though I cannot print text directly from Illustrator to the R1900 I can for some reason from ID?

There are going to be newer models to replace the R1900 and there is the printer that are considered professional Epsons like the 3800 but I know little of them from experience, they do have a great reputation.

• 7. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
                      M.Jay.Victor Level 2

Try setting the document color mode to RGB and printing it, may also try creating an RGB PDF as well.

• 8. Re: Odd frames when printing transparency PSD on black background on Illustrator CS4
                        Benisho Level 1

I can't use RGB profile if I want to be precise with my works.

I found the problem and how to fix it.

I think it is a problem with the RIP of the printer. The printer receive vector, raster and transparency object together and needs to flatten to a single image - it doesn't succeed.

So, if I send to the printer from Illustrator, under "Advanced" I use customize pref. by tuning it to all raster and not vector at all the print printed good.

It's so primitive and stupid that with a new printer I still need to do the RIP with the application.