14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 12:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Formatting new internal drive

nitzua

I just bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA drive for use with Premiere Pro 2.0. I've gotten my system to recognize the drive, and have started formatting it. This process seems as though it will take upwards of 15 hours, based on it's progress thus far. My question is this: if I didn't create a partition on the drive before I ran a full format, will this be a problem? I've did some Googling after I started the format and I came across a few step-by-step guides that all mention creating a partition, but I don't want to interrupt the full format since it's taken so long to get to 10% completed. I realize this problem isn't completely Premiere-related, but since I'll be using the drive solely with Premiere, I thought I'd ask about it here.

System:

CPU: P4 HT 2.4ghz

Ram: 2x 1gb DDR

Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Series

I'm not on my machine right now, and I can definitely provide more information if needed.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Formatting new internal drive
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A lot will depend on how the drive ships. Most that I have installed over the decades have needed to have the Active Partiton set. Used to be fdisk, but I have to admit that I have not installed my last 8 drives, so in XP/Vista, things might have changed.

As soon as your Format is done, go to Windows Disk Manager and see how it views the HDD, prior to attempting to use it.

Good luck, and maybe someone else can step in with both knowledge of your HDD and also any tips on installing it with XP/Vista.

Do also check that it's setup properly in your BIOS from Setup. This is often forgotten. Now, your BIOS might pick up on it and make the necessary settings for you, but check.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Formatting new internal drive
            nitzua Level 1

So you recommend NOT interrupting the current format, even though I didn't create the partition beforehand? My main concern is that if I wait until the format is done and need to partition the drive in order to use it, that I'll be facing another lengthy process in partitioning the drive.

• 3. Re: Formatting new internal drive
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not like canceling out of something like this. Even if it takes awhile, I'd let it complete. BTW, the last time that I Formatted my last 2TB FW-800 external, it only took about 4 hours. I do not recall what time it said it would take, but I just left it and by 4 hours it was done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If you really need to partition your drive use a product like "Partition Magic".

For the future, on a new drive I typically just use "Quick Format"

• 5. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Thanks for chiming in. It's been a while, since I have had to do the initial work on an internal HDD, so I'm rather out of the loop nowadays. In the "good old days," one had to first use fdisk to set up the active (single) Partition, to prepare the disk for Formatting. That was the Partition that I was referring to and not the Partitioning of a physical HDD to logical drives.

If I read you correctly, this is no longer needed for the physical disk as shipped. Is that correct? Only Formatting to the appropriate format is all that is now required. Is that also correct?

Again, thank you for updating this old guy from back in the MFM days!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... it's been awhile, but from hazy memory...

After installing the "bare" drive, go into control panel

select administrative tools

select computer management

select disk management in storage

select the drive... and then it gets hazy

I *think* you have to create an active partition before you format, but could be wrong, if the software is "smart" enough to do that in one step

I do remember that the TYPE of drive (dynamic or standard ???) made a big difference, but right now I don't remember which type it was that caused problems... so if you do have problems, check your drive type and switch to the other type

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Formatting new internal drive

I think I can predate you, how about designing vacuum tube multivibrators for computational usage!

The answer is yes and yes.  All you currently have to do is install the drive and make sure the BIOS recognizes it and then the OS will see it.  In the OS you have to go Manage (I right click on My computer or nowdays Computer).  Under Storage left click Disk Management, Initialize the disk and then format it.  Unless I have a old questionable disk I just Quick format it.  These terms a XP terms and change slightly with Vista and Win 7.

Just saw the post of John and yes I do not select dynamic operation of the disk

• 8. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Why partition a disk? You prefer more overhead and more wear and tear without any benefit?

• 9. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                          nitzua Level 1

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up stopping the original full format and creating a partition before I went through with it again. Problem was, I had the drive type set to dynamic (I'd read something about it being better somewhere) and having it set as such wouldn't let me partition the drive. I set the drive back to standard, created the partition, and started the full format. This time, it took under four hours to complete.

• 10. Re: Formatting new internal drive

Harm, I agree with you if you properly design your storage I rarely if ever partiton a disk.  The exception I would see is if you have a way oversized drive for a function why waste the excess space?  Partitioning it and just using the excess space for archiving should not cause and excess wear and tear on it.

• 11. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

My memory and yours must be seeing each other on the sly. At least you are more current, than I was.

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste... " and I really think that my mind is "wasted... "

Hunt

• 12. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

Thank you for updating this old guy. OK, you DO predate me, but only by a bit.

I wondered why fdisk was no longer included in the little utilities - it ain't needed no more!

Thanks for informing me, and also helping the OP.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I think that it was me, who muddied the waters by mentioning the "P-word," partition. In them "olden days," setting an Active Partition was required, prior to Format. Bill has updated me on exactly how it's done now. I do not think that the OP was going to partition, or at least I hope not. Always good to warn away from doing such things though.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Formatting new internal drive
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I set the drive back to standard, created the partition, and started the full format. This time, it took under four hours to complete.

Glad that you got it sorted out. That time frame is more in keeping with what I get with my 2TB FW-800 externals.

Sorry that I confused things with a bunch of totally outdated comments. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Good luck,

Hunt