10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 8:20 AM by Jim_Simon

Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?

ucwotic

I am rolling 70 names in 45 seconds for End Credits using the Titling feature. Problem is they are really quite blurred! I have exported to test DVD reproduction but same visual nasty. (Using TimesNewRoman but have experimented with many sans serif fonts also - same problem.) Have never had problems before with slow rolls and fewer names.   Compression is all set at max render possibilities.  Am running a 64 bit Xeon 5520 with much RAM but have tried the same titling with Premiere on a 32 bit machine - same problem.  Also - before exporting and with all viewing options maxed in PPro, the titles scroll with blur but when stopped the blurring immediately snaps back into focus.  It seems like PPro doesn't can't handle the speed of the scrolling with titles.  The slower the titles scroll the less the blur etc.

Any insights or suggestions gratfully received. This is really making my deadline seem hard to manage.    Maybe I need a plug-in?

Thanks for reading - Bo

• 1. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
          sam.kurkoski

Is your footage de interlaced, or interlaced?

• 2. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
            ucwotic Level 1

Thanks for taking an interest.  The video settings for Titles are set within the Titling applet - it's not imported media.  AFAIK the available settings are all Progressive rendering.

• 3. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I find I get better results when I create the title in Photoshop and use the Motion effect to simulate a scroll.  (Using 20 point Arial minimum.)

• 4. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                ucwotic Level 1

Jim that sounded like it might work but....  I just tried it and same problem.   I used 20pt Arial in photoshop with just 15 names to create the titles, saved as a .JPG (and tried .PSD etc also).  Imported to PPro.  Added a simple scroll motion effect but still blurred.  Even just running the timeline without motion creates blur.   Did I miss something?

This problem is for sure able to be replicated on other PC's and I'm pretty sure now that this has gotta be a software limitation.  Adobe seems not to have a solution - maybe AE but I just haven't got the time to learn it.

I'm looking now for the easy way out - best titling plug-in software that can be learned in an hour?

• 5. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                  Mikael B-MXYDzw Level 1

This may sound crazy but try to put a blur on the text track, without changing anything. I use this to force the Premiere to actually render the file.

For me it has solved many problems with the graphics but keep in mind that non-blur effect works only if you do not touch any settings on the effect you apply and it does not matter what kind of blur you use.

Good luck:-)

Mikael

• 6. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

At this point, more information may be needed.

What are the sequence settings you're using?  What is your source media?  What specific settings did you use to create the title in PS?  What apecific export settings are you using to make the DVD?

• 7. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                      ucwotic Level 1

Jim,  Another way to approach this would be if you could let me know what settings could be used in order to avoid the problem.  If there are no settings that can avoid the problem then it is the software.  I have started a new project with numerous different sequence settings i.e. a blank timeline other than the Titles.

I have tried many settings permutations and get the same results on 2 machines.  The source media is PPro Titling applet.  The larger the type and the slower the roll, the less obvious is the blur.  (I have tried adding "blur" effect on suggestions here but did not find that helped.)

The Photoshop method I simply typed a few names and saved as a JPG and also tried saving as a PSD.  Imported this file to PPro and the blur is noticeable immediately the timeline is activated and snaps back to focus when stopped.  Export to MPEG DVD and MPEG with various settings but does not help.

Thanks for your interest Jim - it will be nice to know if PPro is actually capable of doing a long title roll without motion blur.

Bo

• 8. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The only way to approach this is with more info.

Start with answering the 16 questions in one of the included links: Some suggestions

• 9. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

...Even just running the timeline without motion creates blur.

Are you saying that just a plain title put on the timeline and played, with no motion, is blurred?

• 10. Re: Titles - "fuzzy" credit roll - what to do??  CS4 issue?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Another way to approach this would be if you could let me know what settings could be used in order to avoid the problem.

Too many to list.

I have tried many settings permutations

That statement is always kind of a red flag to me.  It generally says "I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so I'll try a bunch of different things".  The problem with that approach is it introduces far too many variables into the mix.  A real editor knows what he is starting out with, and where he is going to end up.  He knows there are specific steps and settings that will get him from A to Z, and he uses only those to make things work.

So I guess we have to take another step back and ask, what are you starting out with as far as media (besides the title, as generaly speaking there are no credits without first seeing a video) - DV, HDV, DVCPRO HD, screen capture, something downloaded from the Internet, something else entirely?

And where do you intend to end up with this -  DVD, Blu-ray, iPod, web site, computer playback, all of the above?

Be precise with your answers.