5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 8:50 AM by the_wine_snob

Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4

pebalsamo Level 2

So I have a NTSC DV sequence in Premiere and there are a few clips with some crackign in the mic that I want to try and get rid of.  I right click on the clip in the timeline and select Edit With Soundbooth/Render and Replace.  Soundbooth opens and I go to Clean up Audio Clicks and Pops, and apply the effect.  The audio sounds good and I hit Save in Soundbooth.  When I go back over to Premiere the audio is now .5 sec off.  For some reason it is doing this on all but the very first clip in the sequence.  It does not matter what order I am doing it in all the other clips that I take into SB come back into Premiere 15 frames off except for the first clip that is using the audio from the clip, which happen to be the 12th clip in the timeline.

These were shot with a Sony PD170 and captured with Premiere.  The audio is just fine on the timeline until taken into SB.  The clips had the Fill Right effect put on them in Premiere and I am also working from a Duplicate Copy of my sequence (so I do not mess anything up).  I have taken out the Fill RIght effect in Premier and tried taking that into SB with the same result of the clip being 15 frames off.

Has anyone else had or heard of a problem like this...

Not a huge deal because I can trim all the audio and shift it down but I would rather not have to do that to the whole timeline if I do not need to...

Thanks

Phil

• 1. Re: Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

I have not seen, nor have I heard of similar. Now, I use Audition, and my workflow is the same as yours, with the substitution of Audion for SoundBooth. For me, it's worked 100%.

What you describe is odd, at the least. If this was a common issue, I'd think that we'd have heard of it from CS3 on.

That said, I'm at a loss as to where you should even look for a solution. Hope that others will spot the problem and be able to help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4
            pebalsamo Level 2

Thanks Hunt...  I have used SB before with no issues, I thought maybe it had something to do with this specific effect.  Maybe I will try just a volume adjustment and see what happens with these clips...

Thanks for taking the time to answer...

Phil

• 3. Re: Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Could be an Effects issue, but I use a bunch of the Restoration Effects in Audition (so similar in many ways to SB), and never encountered any issues.

This will be an interesting thread. Wish I had something to add, but only did beta on SB and decided to stick with Audition, 'cause I liked it better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4
                pebalsamo Level 2

OK I got it figured out...  I had cross dissolves between these audio clips that was 1 sec long.  On the fist clip with the on camera audio there was just a fade up.  I guess the other clips fading over each other is what was throing it off by 15 frames.

I guess if I had done this to the original clips and not the shortened clips in the timeline it would be OK.  The new audio file that is created by SB is only as long as the clip in the timeline, and not the full length of the clip.

Seems stranges that it would not account for the cross dissolve but at least I know better for next time...

Phil

• 5. Re: Editing Audio with Soundbooth CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Phil,

Good detective work. Yes, with NTSC footage and a 01 sec. Transition, you'd get 15 Frames!

Glad you got it nailed. Transitions in the Audio did not cross my feeble mind. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt