12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 9:38 AM by EricFight

Size changes on its own!! Why??

EricFight

Ok so for instance.......i go to my transform palette and want a box that is 36" x 48"....i type in 48 in the width. then hit tab to go to the height and 48 changes to 47.9998 in then i type in 36 in the height and hit enter and it changes to 35.9996 in.  I have to go back and type it all in again to get it to stay at 48 & 36. Does anyone know how to fix this. I don't have the constrain proportion link clicked so that wouldn't cause it. Any help would be awesome!

• 1. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
          John Danek Level 4

Not sure why that is happening, but I'd use the rectangle tool and input the dimensions there.  Never had a problem doing it that way.  You know, just select the rectangle tool and click anywhere on the artboard and up flies a dialog box where you can input the data.

• 2. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
            EricFight Level 1

yeah that works but like if i do that and then lets say i'm making a sign(which is what i do) and i have the sign laid out and the size changes just a bit.....i just want to be able to select all and change the overall sign sizes....i mean it only changes the the size like.0002 or something like that but when i put a hole bunch of signs together to print...it's harder to deal with numbers that are like 48.9998 instead of a whole number?? could this be some glitch...every happen to anyone else??

• 3. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
              Jesseham Level 4

You probably have "use preview bounds" checked.  Look in the flyout menu on the align panel.

• 4. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                JETalmage Level 6
                ...could this be some glitch...?

Yes. It is another example of the sloppy functionality of this program.

The state of the Use Preview Bounds preference should not cause the behavior, but it does. Whether dimensions include stroke weight (preference on) or not (preference off), when you expressly enter a value in the dimension field, the value you enter should be the one applied (either including the stroke weight or not, depending on whether you have the preference set).

It is also another example of the sloppy interface design of this program. The setting is a general preference. Yet its control ambiguously also resides in the Align Palette flyout. This intuitively suggests that setting it in the Align palette will cause it to be employed only when Aligning objects. But as you see, it affects object dimensions as well. Yet the setting is not available in the Transform Palette's flyout menu.

Illustrator is replete with such poorly-designed things. Application-level general preferences are treated in the interface as if they are document-specific. Things that should be application-levels unreliably fail to stick between launches (palette settings, Insert Menu Item Action steps). Settings that should be document-specific are stupidly stored as general prefs (Smart Guide angles).

JET

• 5. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jesseham has it correct check it out.

it is not due to sloppy anything it is because he has use preview bounds checked, uncheck it in the preferences and it won't happen and please mark Jesseham's post as the answer.

• 6. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                    JETalmage Level 6

1. Select the object.

2. Toggle the Use Preview Bounds setting off/on.

The dimensions in the Transform Palette and Control Panel fail to update until the object is deselected and reselected. The user experience is that "size changes on its own." I also call that sloppy.

JET

• 7. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                      Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

perhpas i don't understand what you mean by updates?

but look at this and tell me where I am going wrong.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/updates.mov

• 8. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                        shunithD Level 3

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

perhpas i don't understand what you mean by updates?

but look at this and tell me where I am going wrong.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/updates.mov

Pardon me if i'm wrong but that seemed to be a totally meaningless video???? One thing it does seem to prove though is that AI does not accept absolute dimensions. You enter 600 and it changes it to 599.x. Again, i'm probably missing something,,,

• 9. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Yes you missed the fact that if you do not choose the Use Preview Bounds then it will not change the size if you do select preview Bounds then the preview bound will be used and displayed.

James then claimed that it does not update the info if you deselect option unless you deselect the object and select i again. The video shows that is not quite factual unless james is referring to something else.

Now for you if you do not want the preview bounds measurement used turn it off and you will not see your dimensions change.

FYI I have found that there are some users that cannot relate to anything I write or post as screenshots or movies and you maybe one of them
                          and there is nothing we can do about it. I will try to remember your name and if you post a question I will just ignore it.

• 10. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                            JETalmage Level 6

Eric,

What OS and AI version? I'm on Windows, CS3

Wade,

Use the Align Palette's flyout menu to toggle the preference, as Eric was instructed to do.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about this.

Use Preview Bounds means that dimensions are to reflect the measures of objects including their strokes. Therefore, if the preference is on, and one keys a dimension into a field, then the dimension entered should be the dimension of the object including its stroke!

1. Set document units to points.
                            2. Set current stroke to 5 pt.
                            3. Turn on the stupid Use Preview Bounds preference.
                            4. Rectangle Tool: Click. Enter 100 in both dimension fields.
                            5. Now stop a minute and THINK. The preference setting dictates that dimension values should reflect the dimension of the object including its stroke. Therefore, the dimension of the resulting object should BE 100 pt.
                            6. Click OK. The dimension displayed is 105 pt.
                            7. Key 100 into one of the dimension fields in the Control Panel and press Enter. The dimension displayed is now 100.238.
                            8. Key 100 into the same dimension field again. The dimension displayed is now 100.012.
                            9. Do it again. The dimension displayed is FINALLY 100 pt.

If that's not sloppy, nothing is.

JET

• 11. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The Align Panel, really!

• 12. Re: Size changes on its own!! Why??
                                EricFight Level 1

Sorry for the delayed answer....but both of you are correct....it's doesn't do it when i uncheck the use preview bounds.... but i see what jet is also talking about...thanks for everything guys!!