3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 6:53 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Improving Image Quality

lsb4uebay Level 1

Hi,

I have a handful of pictures that are in '.jpg', ',tif', or whatever other image formats they are.  All of these images are relatively small to  begin with.  I would like to use them in Adobe Illustrator, but have the following concerns or questions with how to control:

• How to improve image quality, especially if I resize the picture?
      • How to get & "control" a standard image size?

The intent of having these pictures is hopefully to avovid a lot of work to recreating them in AI or in a layout with specified sizes.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Improving Image Quality
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

lsb4uebay wrote:

Hi,

I have a handful of pictures that are in '.jpg', ',tif', or whatever other image formats they are.  All of these images are relatively small to  begin with.  I would like to use them in Adobe Illustrator, but have the following concerns or questions with how to control:

• How to improve image quality, especially if I resize the picture?
          You cannot improve the image quality, but you may reduce it; every time a JPEG is resampled, it loses quality.
          • How to get & "control" a standard image size?

You may select the image and change the dimensions. That will not change the underlying image, only the size. When you open an image in Illy, it will be 72 PPI; to get 300, you may divide the W or H value in the Transform palette by 0.4 and DoubleClick to keep proportions.

The intent of having these pictures is hopefully to avovid a lot of work to recreating them in AI or in a layout with specified sizes.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Improving Image Quality
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Umm, no. Sorry, you are looking for a one-button solution where none exist. There is no magic way to uprez images without losing quality. Not in AI, not in Photoshop, not the smartest fancy plug-in. If the images are too smal, then you have to live with that, buy the full-res versions (if it is stock images) or, ultimately, rebuild them from scratch in whatever ways. Everything else is just wasting time on looking for an instant solution where there can be none. The rest is beside the point - when using images for print, one worries about their resolution (pixel density per realworld unit), not their absolute size. both are of course related, but a 4x5" image rastered at 72 dpi will usualyl always look less pristine than one rastered at 300 dpi or above. So by all means, educate yourself about those things before venturing into something, that could possibly turn into a disaster if not done properly.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Improving Image Quality
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Illustrator I would say would be the worse choice to even think about doing this even if it could be satisfactorily accomplished some how in anther program. AI simply has no image manipulation or editing capabilities of its own.