1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 3:02 AM by Mylenium

Memory Hangs in Illustrator CS3

Neil Norman

Hello!

I recently upgraded from a Mac Powerbook G4 1.67GHz with 2GB RAM to a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. I did a clean install of CS3 on the new machine, and since then I keep experiencing memory hangs, mostly when interacting with the pallet menus (layers in Photoshop,InDesign, Illustrator, type in InDesign , etc..). I haven't noticed an of the filters in Photoshop being any slower – in fact those appear to be a little zippier than on myPowerbook . I've found that the same operation when done through the pallets hangs, while it goes as smoothly as expected when done through the menus (Hide Layer is a perfect example). Does anyone know a solution to this? I'm planing to install more RAM, but I would think 2GB would be enough to prevent these system-wide memory hangs on operations that shouldn't be that big of a task in the first place.2

Thanks!

Neil Norman

Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 Gb RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

OS X Leopard 10.5.8

Illustrator 13.0.2

Photoshop 10.0.1

InDesign 5.0.4.682

• 1. Re: Memory Hangs in Illustrator CS3
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          I'm planing to install more RAM, but I would think 2GB would be enough to prevent these system-wide memory hangs on operations that shouldn't be that big of a task in the first place.

Well, re-consider waht you just said, given that the operating system itself can consume up to 1.3 GB with all bells on. 2GB is by far inadequate for most computers these days. That does not necessarily explain your hangs/ laggy behavior, but it may be related. What you should definitely check, is whether the apps in question are not running in Rosetta emulation, but in intel native mode. For some reason that sometimes happens. Also, in case of strange issues, it is a good idea to run tools like OnyX and flush any cahces, including font cahes, system prefetch, boot cache. On that same topic, generalyl look for thijngs like offensive/ bad fonts as well as possibly otehr components inetrfering. Some Haxies for instance do interfere with some Adobe apps, but not all of them, leading to seemingly arbitrary behavior between apps...

Mylenium