14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 1:05 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE 2 Export to tape problem

Team Man Level 1

Could anyone please give me an answer to this, in Elements 2, if I export to tape it plays the timeline out to the tape ok, when you play the tape back in the camera everything seems alright, If I then try to capture the said tape, I can’t detect any Audio, Video is fine, although there is sound on the camera

If I export to tape in Premiere Pro that tape can be captured Video and Audio.

Why is it not working in PE 2, I’m sure it used to, very embarrassing when I sent a tape to someone and he couldn’t capture sound, he rang to say there is sound on the camera, but won’t capture it, then I tried at my end and found there was this problem.

• 1. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you're using a FireWire connection, I know of no way this can happen.

Are you saying that the tape (output from your Premiere Elements project) has no sound, although the project itself does have sound?

What happens if you plug your camcorder directly into your TV and you play that tape. Do you get sound and picture?

• 2. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
            Team Man Level 1

Hi Steve,

The output from PE does record to tape with sound, and you can then play the tape to the TV with sound, but then if you try to capture that tape to the PC again, it won't capture the Audio

I have two computers with the same Premiere Elements on and it is the same result on both PC's.

As I said this came to light when I sent a tape to a colleague and he couldn't pick up the sound even though he said he could hear it playing an the camera

I have tried with both computers and three different camcorders all put the sound on the tape but you can't get it back to the PC.

If I do it in Premiere Pro there are no problems so it is not the cameras or firewire cables, it all seems to point to Elements.

• 3. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
              Team Man Level 1

I have just installed my old Premiere Elements 1, I have done a test with that, exporting to tape and then capturing that tape back to the computer and it all works fine.

I have just checked all the tapes in my archive that had been done with the Elements 2  none of them can be captured with Audio.

Of course, I only checked the recording not its ability to capture back to PC at the time.

It would be interesting if anyone else out there that has PE 2 to check and see if they have the same problem.

Perhaps they would let me know.

• 4. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem

Because of the way video is streamed over FireWire from a miniDV, it really isn't possible that you're getting the video and not the sound, Team. They're all one file!

There are only a few possibilities that I can think of:

1) Your camcorder is recording the audio at a non-standard sample rate or audio format (something other than 12 bit 48K).

2) Your camcorder is equipped with a dubbing feature and, for some reason, the audio is configured to record to channels 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2.

But you're right. If if either of these were true, why would it work with version 1 and not version 2?

So one other possibility is:

3) The ASIO is configured wrong in version 2. Seems strange that that's the case on two computers -- but it could be.

The test is to play the video you've captured with version 2 in Windows Media Player. Is there sound?

If there is sound, you know that version 2 captured the audio okay but the program isn't playing it right.

If there is no sound, then there must be an issue with how the camcorder is configured.

As I said, audio and video streaming over FireWire from a miniDV are not two separate files! So there's no way the program could get one and not the other. The only possibility is that, for some reason, one program is seeing it and the other isn't.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                  Team Man Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve,

This involves 3 camera's, a Sony trv 900, a Sony trv 950, and a Sony trv 7000, they all behave the same, I can get the sound on to the tape but can't capture it off, and the Premiere Elements 2 does the same on 2 computers.

A tape that was sent to a colleague wouldn't capture the audio from his Camera, a Canon XL1, and he uses Avid I think.

Its very baffling as every thing is OK with PE 1 and Prem Pro.

As you say it just shouldn't do it, ,,,but it does.

Now I know, its not a problem because I can use Prem Pro to do the archive tapes, but I've got quite a few done with PE2 that I now have to retrieve the sound on  and redo them with Pro, among them are 6 tapes of a cruise round the Norwegian Fjords, that had the rubbish edited out of them and Archived.

Perhaps if in the future you find something out, perhaps you will be kind enough to let me know, although I would still be intereted to find out if anyone with PE 2 has had the same problem.

May I take this opportunity to say how much use I have made of your books

• 6. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                    Team Man Level 1

I have played a clip that had been captured from one of the Archived tapes in Windows Media Player  as you suggested and there is no sound , although as I have said before the sound can be heard on the speakers on the camera when you are capturing it but not on the headphones on the PC as you are capturing, and when you put the capture on the timeline there is video but no sound waves.

That's as much as I can say.

• 7. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem

I'm deeply flattered, TeamMan!Thanks for your kind words about the books.

Sorry I can't offer more help.

• 8. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                        Team Man Level 1

Just to say thank you very much for your help Steve, as I said its not the end of the world for me, I'm sure I can retrieve those archive tapes, I'm just very intrigued to know what its all about, I don't suppose I shall ever know.

Thank you

Alan

• 9. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem

Have you checked your audio settings in the camcorder, and can you confirm if the camcorder has dubbing ability, as I mentioned above?

• 10. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                            Team Man Level 1

Yes, the camcorder does have dubbing ability, it will be using this how I hope to retrieve the Audio from the archive tapes.

• 11. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem

It may have something to do with how these dubbing channels are set up then. I've heard of people who were able to capture their video but not the audio that was recorded to the dub channels.

• 12. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                                Team Man Level 1

I know What you are saying Steve, But it works ok exporting to tape in Elements 1 and Premiere Pro, and the same applies to 3 different camera's.

• 13. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem
                                  Team Man Level 1

I thought someone may be interested in the work around to retrieve the Audio from my archived tapes that would only capture the Video.

Open Premiere / Click capture, move the capture window to the right hand edge of the page, move the page to the left of the monitor,just so you can see the capture window.

now open a recorder programe in the right hand side of the monitor (I used AVS in this one), with the camcorder connected by the Firewire to capture the Video, connect the red and white RCA sockets on the camcorder to the inline audio socket on the computer, set the volume level you want in the recorder programe.

Now start record on the recorder programe first and then press capture on Premiere the two will capture the Video in Prem and the Audio in your Audio programe at the same time (mine did)

If you drop the Audio file on the timeline under your Video, then uncheck the snap function so you can move the audio backwards and forwards so you can get it in lip sync, and there you are, done.

One thing, first time I tried it, I started capture first and the clicked audio record, and it stopped the camera, so if you start audio recorder first anthe video capture it should be OK

Here's a pic of the monitor

export-to-tape-problem.jpg

• 14. Re: PE 2 Export to tape problem

Well, it's a solution at least - though it's a shame you have to use a workaround at all.