8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 3:36 PM by the_wine_snob

CS3 install succession

Polytrop

I recently installed  Premiere and Encore CS3 on my new system Vista HP 64 on a Dell XPS430 6 GB RAM and a dedicated HD for PP data files. Several freezes, hang ups and reinstallations later I gave up and reinstalled Vista and several applications but not PP and Encore.

Now, before I do that, I´d like to know if someone has any tips concerning 1) the order in which the applications ought to be installed, 2) when to install the 3.1.1 and 3.0.1 upgrades, 3) if it´s a good idea to copy the Encore installation files to the desktop and start install from there (previous tip), 4) if install and/or later normal execution of the app:s need to be started "as administrator" and 5) any other concerns?

Thanks in advance, regards "Polytrop"

• 1. Re: CS3 install succession
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Insert disk 1 and go from there. Follow the instructions and install to the default directory.

• 2. Re: CS3 install succession
            Polytrop Level 1

Well Harm, as you could have noticed from my Q, the  plain install  doesnt seem to  work on my system....

• 3. Re: CS3 install succession
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe you ought to try with a supported OS. So revert to XP or upgrade to CS4.

• 4. Re: CS3 install succession
                Polytrop Level 1

Are you  claiming CS3 is not compatible with Vista (64)? Please read this http://go.adobe.com/kb/ts_kb402169_en-us

I´d be very happy if someone could comment on  my questions above, thanks!

• 5. Re: CS3 install succession
                  Polytrop Level 1

Well, I succeeded to install the cs3-SW-pack this time. And the software seems to work fine, knock on wood. Anyway, I´d like to emphasize that this (working APP and Encore) is not always the case for all users. As far as I´m concerned, I had severe trouble with that software before I reinstalled the OS on my new computer. So, my question here was not irrelevant. Please, just do a forum or knowledge-base find/search with the worlds "premiere" and "freezes", you will  see what I mean.

The reason install of SW worked this time was probably because the computer now was configured with the proper drivers for videocard and other HW. In fact, that was not done properly by Dell at delivery.

Happy editing!

• 6. Re: CS3 install succession
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Are you  claiming CS3 is not compatible with Vista (64)?

Kind of, yeah.

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)"

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: CS3 install succession
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      the proper drivers for videocard and other HW. In fact, that was not done properly by Dell at delivery.

Ugh!  I'd never use a pre-installation machine.  Even were I to buy a pre-built computer, the first thing I'd do is wipe the hard drive and start fresh.  Pre-built computers come with a LOT of junk on them that can adversely affect the performance of an editing rig.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: CS3 install succession
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        The reason install of SW worked this time was probably because the computer now was configured with the proper drivers for videocard and other HW. In fact, that was not done properly by Dell at delivery.

Even if the installations had been done properly, your drivers would likely have been months out of date, by the time you took delivery of the computer. Luckily, Dell does have good driver support, unlike some other resellers.

Now, to get rid of the bloatware. This ARTICLE might be of some use for getting your computer ready for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt