3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2009 10:07 PM by Harm Millaard

organizing hdd's and optimizing vista, HELP!

mikemikemike09 Level 1

bout to install 6 more gb of ram for a total of 12 plus m 3rd hard disc drive {180 for programs, 1tb for cache and such, 1tb for files}

question is there, I understand that it is best to optimize items such as pagefile size and indexing options, but is there a guide for EVERYTHING needed to optimize vista?

and what is the best way to set up the cache hdd for all programs and OS?

and here is the part I am having trouble with, what is the best way to organize the 3rd hdd? would it be best to just move the location of the "my documents" "my videos", etc. folders to relocate to this hdd?  or what is the best way to organize videos, pictures, documents, all files, etc.?

any other advice for this setup is appreciated.

and I am still going to use a small part of this hdd for personal use, would it be okay to partition any of the HDD's? or just use the hdd that i am using for my documents, and would the cache hdd be used for items even such as outlook 2007 data files?

thanks

• 1. Re: organizing hdd's and optimizing vista, HELP!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The info is spread around three guides. Storage and Tuning are of particular interest to you, I think. How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 2. Re: organizing hdd's and optimizing vista, HELP!
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>indexing options

I have indexing OFF on all drives... it slows things down, from what I've read

• 3. Re: organizing hdd's and optimizing vista, HELP!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Mike,

Make sure that indexing and compression is turned off on all disks. Responsiveness of your system will improve noticeably.

I would use the following disk setup:

1. C: OS & programs, including Adobe and Outlook.

2. D: Pagefile, fixed to 8 GB (min=max), media cache, scratch or preview files and project files.

3. E: media and exports.

I assume you have the stock Intel CPU cooler? If so, you can improve your cooling by getting a special CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-U12P with push-pull configuration, or the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, or similar.

In your PM you alluded to slight overclocking to around 3.2 GHz. To achieve that set your BCLK in the Bios to 160, instead of the default 133. Leave everything else on default. Now check with CPU-Z that your bus speed is 160, your core speed is around 3280 MHz and the multiplier is 21. Next check the temperatures in your system using both HWMonitor and Speedfan (use the Exotics tab and click Show the Magic button). On this page the Frequency will be shown as 3200 MHz, because Speedfan uses the standard multiplier of 20, while CPU-Z uses the turbo mode multiplier of 21.

The temperatures should hardly go up when overclocking, maybe 3 degrees or less while idle and should be below 45 degrees.

I also suggest you go through the Services section in the Optimizing and Tuning Guide that I linked to earlier, because that will lower the overhead of Windows and improve system performance as well.

If you want, you can post screenshots from CPU-Z, HWMonitor and Speedfan, so I can check your settings as well.