12 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2010 7:41 PM by Bob Tarp

Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?

flagezeichen Level 1

I have bought some months before Premiere Elements 7...

is it compatible with Windows 7??

Flagezeichen

• 1. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since Win7 will not hit the retail market for a couple more weeks, I don't know if there are many people here who could answer

You might read at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/

• 2. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Although advanced word from people who are testing it on the release candidate of W7 is that it runs very well on it.

• 3. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Facts:

Windows 7 wasn't around when Premiere Elements 7 was released (or made or thought of..).

Premiere Elements 8 IS supported on Windows 7.

Speculated:

All Vista applications run on Windows 7 (backward compatibility)

Conclusion:

You can try. And not be surprised if it works, or even if it doesn't.

• 4. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                Bob Tarp Level 1

Having 2 versions of  Vista and Windows 7 (32 bilt/64 bit)  is very unhelpful when there is as major  lack of information concerning  the compatability of the particular version of windows OS being used  being available to potential purchasers of 3rd party software!. 

It is very hard if not impossible to return purchased  software to the retailer (who have strict return policies) because the respective compatability information is NOT printed clearly on the outside software packaging or that Microsoft has two "bit" versions of  its operating software (why?)   Also there is NO clear  compasbility listing for all software products  on the websites of 3rd party software companies like Adobe! This can be a very costly and frustrating exercise  for windows software users and why so many of us turn to the MAC where there is a very clear compatability requirement by Apple for 3rd party software being used on its computers!

• 5. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, considering that there have been horrible incompatibility issues with Leopard, Snow Leopard and even whatever preceded those, and many programs from companies like Adobe, I do not think that the grass is any greener on that side of the fence. Maybe you will get some background, if you just check the Mac technical fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                    Bob Tarp Level 1

I am really pissed of with Adobe for totally failing to deal with the fact that Premiere Elements 8 is still only compatible wirh  XP and Windows Server 3  even though it has just been released and that Vista hjas been a Windows OS for at least 12 months and Windows 7 has been available for 6 months! 

I did a quick experiment with my Sony HDV  (1080i) handycam last night (Monday 26th).  Using my Firewire cable, I connected my camera to to my friends I Mac and was able to capture and save a video clip in Hi Def (I Video) with absolutely NO PROBLEMO - total Plug and Play!

On the otherr hand My Windows computer is presently in a local computer tech Dept to investigate why  Adobe Prem 8 is incompatible with Windows  Vista Home Premium (64bit version) - cost to me is $100! 

If Adobe AND Microsoft had done their jobs properly - I would not have to put up with this costly BS!  I am very seriuosly dumping $1000 of  windows computer and software and switching to Mac if I do not get a satu=isfactory solution to this compatabilty problem!

regards

Bob Tarplett

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:34:34 -0600

To: bob.tarp@hotmail.com

Subject: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?

Well, considering that there have been horrible incompatibility issues with Leopard, Snow Leopard and even whatever preceded those, and many programs from companies like Adobe, I do not think that the grass is any greener on that side of the fence. Maybe you will get some background, if you just check the Mac technical fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                      nealeh Level 5

There are many users of PRE8 on Windows 7 (both 32 & 64 bit versions). But it is 'a problem child' on some systems and needs a little bit of investigation to get it working.

If you want us to help you we do need information about your PC, your PRE project settings, the source of your clips, and how those clips got onto your PC. This article will help you to give us the necessary information: Got a Problem? How to Get Started. This one may also be helpful: How can I improve the odds that I'll have success with Premiere Elements 8?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                        Bob Tarp Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thx for your reply.

The technicians at my local computer shop (Future Shop a national chain in Canada)  did a full day of checks, reinstalling of both the OS (Vista Home Edition Premium 64bit)  and the softare (Adobe Premiere Essentials 8) as well as the Handycam Driver (Sony HDR HC5 HD1080 Handycam) and came to the conclusion that there was a fundamental flaw in this Adobe product (both PRE 7 and 8)  in terms of compatabilty  that Adobe will have to address! (too much rushing by developers to  get  software upgrades  to market and not paying attention to fundamentals like full seamless compatabilty with products of 3rd party companies like Sony and the latest Microsoft Windows OS!

There was no problem of compatabilty when the handycam was connected to my friends IMAC - immediate recognition of the camera by I Movie and download with full monitoring during capture and in full HD!.  Windows Vista  import  software also enabled monitoring during capture but did not have the ability to capture in HD mode. but the clip was saved on hard drive in avi format (std def) not  MPEG2 (1080 HD).  The camera driver had been installed on the computer but that did not help!

If I am to continue to use Windows based software/systems I will have to use the Windows import software to capture the Sony clips, save them to the hard drive in (STD) AVI format and edit them in PRE8. Not a good proposition after the capital cost of the camera and computer hardware/software invested ($3000)!  Small wonder that many video users prefer MAC - a decision to change over to be seriously considered within the year!

regards

Bob Tarplett

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 05:00:17 -0600

To: bob.tarp@hotmail.com

Subject: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?

There are many users of PRE8 on Windows 7 (both 32 & 64 bit versions). But it is 'a problem child' on some systems and needs a little bit of investigation to get it working.

If you want us to help you we do need information about your PC, your PRE project settings, the source of your clips, and how those clips got onto your PC. This article will help you to give us the necessary information: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0. This one may also be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/533334?tstart=0

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

>

• 9. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                          Dave Knarr Level 1

Hi Bob,

I had the same problems with video capturing with Windows 7 and Premiere Elements 7 and 8.

The problem is not with Premiere Elements, but with the Firewire driver in Windows 7.

I wrote and article on it and have it posted on our web site.   Here is the link to it and

it explains step by step how to fix the problem.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

I should only take you a few minutes to fix the Firewire capture problem.

Best Regards

David Knarr

Studio 1 Productions

• 10. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for that article link. I hope that it helps other Win7 users.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                              Dave Knarr Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Your welcome.  I know the problem drove me crazy until I figured out the problem.

Dave

• 12. Re: Is Adobe Premiere Elements 7 also compatible with Windows 7?
                                Bob Tarp Level 1

I should not have to risk paying a nonrefundable  $145 for Adobe Premiere Elements 7 or 8 based on the "supposed compatabilty" with either either Vista or Windows 7!   I bought V 8 and even dowloaded the upgrade 8.01 to repair this compatabilty problem only have PRE 8  compatabilty issue to be still a major problem! 

I can capture  clips from my Sony HDR HC5  HiDerf handycam using Windows and \Sonys own media browser  . i can also capture from my \sony Hc5  in regular DV mode but NOT  in 1080 Hi Def even after installing the Sony Vista upgrade utility! PRE  generates a captured avi video file  when I use the alternative accessible Handycam DV!

There is definitely wrong with PRE 8 in that even with Firewire connection and its 8.01 upgrade patch - it does not "recognise" the HC5  in full HD mode!  !  will install Sonys own editing suite to compare with Adobe PRE8!

regards

Bob Tarplett