8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 3:55 AM by Steve C2

Convert PE v3 projects up to v7

Vgers2 Level 1

I purchased v7 sometime ago to find out that it does not allow the upgrade conversion of my v3 files.  Will v8 convert my v3 files, and my v7 files to the v8 version?

Does any one know how to convert v3 projects to v7?

• 1. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

I just got finished writing up the following in rebuttal to another thread. This applies to Premiere Elements 7 as well as Premiere Elements 8. Please check it out and see if you can confirm:

I would suggest to you that there should NOT be any problem opening a project .prel from an earlier version of Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements 8.

What I suspect may be the case is that you may be actually unsuccessfully trying to force a project .prel into another project .prel. That is to be expected. Check out the following to determine if this works for you.

I have Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8. I do not have version 3, so I used version 2 to obtain a saved project .prel. In addition, I archived that project so that I had a saved Project Archiver Copied Folder with that project .prel with all it’s source media.

First I went to the hard drive save location for the project t.prel (not archived version), right clicked it, and selected Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 8. The project .prel opened without problems. Closed out of Premiere Elements 8.

Next I went to the hard drive save location for the project .prel (archived version), right clicked it, and selected Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 8. The project .prel opened without problems.

If the Premiere Elements 3 project prel really did not open in the later versions, you could have always exported it to DV AVI and brought the DV AVI export into Premiere Elements 8. But, there should be no need for that. Also, if you moved any of the source media for the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel after you saved it, you could be in for some reconnect issues which are a whole other matter.

I have not had a chance to try it, but I believe once you edit a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version, you cannot go back and edit that project .prel in the earlier version.

Let me know how this turns out.

ATR

• 2. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said in the other thread, Tony, I do warn against this. It should work -- but sometimes things corrupt too. And, as you said, once you've opened a project in version 7, you can't re-open it in version 3.

So, if you do decide to do it, immediately do a Save As and save the project under a new name. That way, in case your audio corrupts or your effects go bonkers, you can go back to your original version 3 project and open it in version 3.

• 3. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

This is just a copy/paste for my response to your comments in the other thread by this user. In this type of situation, I would imagine that the most likely scenario might be a lot of reconnect messages because the source media for the earlier project .prel may be long gone from the computer hard drive save location, unless of course the earlier project was archived with the program's Project Archiver.

SG

You are one of my favorite people, but I must respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

I have never ran into a problem opening a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version (Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8). BUT, granted I do not do that often. And, the impression that your earlier comments left me with was it could not be done. Not recommended and cannot be done are two different things, especially when some do have success opening a project .prel from an earlier version in a later version.

But, I must strongly agree with you on the need for backup, whether it be in this specific matter or when you are working within only one program. There are never enough backups for valuable material (photos, videos, whatever).

If this user tells me that the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel will not open in Premiere Elements 8 and gets an unsupported message, that suggests to be that the wrong route is being used, as I have described. And, I am waiting for feedback on that. BUT, if this user tells me that the Premiere Elements 3 project .prel opens in Premiere Elements 8 and shows evidence of corrupt file(s), that is another matter. I do not believe that was the case as posted by the user originally. And, I am waiting for feedback on that.

We are both basing our observations on first hand experiences which appear to differ. I will standby my comments as posted.

ATR

• 4. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7

Can't argue with that, Tony!

• 5. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
                  Vgers2 Level 1

thanks guys for your help.

Would either of you, or both, think this is a good idea.

1. First, uninstall v7 and reinstall v3.
                  2. Follow your instructions using v3.
                  3. Upon completion, uninstall v3 and install v7 and follow your instructions, or should I uninstall v3 and install v8?
                  • 6. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7

Unless you're pressed for space, I wouldn't bother to uninstall any. It won't hurt to have more than one version on at a time. And, at least until you're absolutely sure you won't need the previous versions, they'll be there if you need them.

• 7. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Vgers

I am in total agreement with SG's latest comments about leaving the programs installed (but, not using more than one at a time), evaluate your situation, and make your decision.

There is a recent thread that suggested the routine approach of having installed only the latest version. I equated that to "burning your bridges behind you" which I feel is never a good idea, and, as I said then, especially if that was a working bridge. Maybe the "never" is too strong a word. So maybe ...is never a good idea, except if space does not permit....

ATR

• 8. Re: Convert PE v3 projects up to v7
                        Steve C2 Level 2

Here's some unsolicited feedback.  I have tested PE8 at the same time that I have had PE 3.02 installed on my pc.  I would guess that Adobe has set up installation, assuming that one does not override Adobe's default directory settings, so that both programs do not cause conflicts with each other.  Additionally, I have successfully tested with both PE8 and CS4 (although not at the same time) while creating a 45-minute video complete with music, effects, and transitions, and burning it to DVD.  Not to say that I recommend doing this, but it seems safe to state that if one can do this, one can safely have two versions of PE installed at the same time.