19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2009 8:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Every time I post a reply to a post, I have to post it twice.

The first time, I get a message saying that an error has occurred and that I can't post a blank message (even though it displays my message right below the error code!).

If I click the Post Message button again, the message posts.

I also can't edit any of my posts. I've tried -- but it deletes my entire post when I try to post the edited piece!

Is it just me, or is anyone else having these problems?

• 1. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't had to go back and edit anything lately, but do not see the posting problem you describe

• 2. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
            Kurt_777 Level 1

Steve, the other day, I posted something, then went away to another site without checking my post. When I did come back to read it again, my post wasn't there. I assumed I had not clicked on "Post message", although I was sure I had.

Funny things seem to happen at sites that support digital video products. This isn't the only video site where I've seen these odd problems.

Kurt.

• 3. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I have not had any problems with this forum posting and/or replying. It does get a little up tight if I try to post without Logging in first.

And, I love it when it does not sign me off when I am in the middle of writing one of my long posts , thus forcing me to sign in again to submit the reply I was preparing.

I have seen reports of a few former major contributors who have decided to take their Q&As to another forum for reasons similar to the ones you presented.  I cannot confirm their difficulties with the system here either.

Just out of curiosity, do you find these difficulties arise mainly when you are in a rush? Might your busy schedule be contributing to a rush situation which feuls these types of situations for you?

RX Note the time of day and frequency of occurence, access the situation for 2 weeks, and please report back.

ATR

• 4. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Just add on.... that should be assess, not access

That brings up another point...is there a way for one of the forum members to do some editing on his replies if he sees a typo? Or is that a Moderator Only task?

ATR

• 5. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                  nealeh Level 5

No problems here posting nor editing

------ END OF ORIGINAL POST -----

And here I go with an edit of the message

------ END OF EDIT POST ------------

Message was edited by: nealeh to confirm edit feature

• 6. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hmm. Maybe it is just me! Or FireFox.

• 7. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                      Kodebuster Level 3

I have no issue with the editing of posts, except as observed from ATR when it logs me off in the middle of an edit.

Regarding log offs, it seems to occur mostly on a 24 hour basis.

If I login in the morning, typically I'll stay logged in all day, but at the touch of midnight, your logged off once again.

I can't understand why the mostly random log offs, it's a pretty sad situation. (It never happens at Muvipix, log in once, tell it to remember you, come back a month later, and your still logged in and active).

WIth all of the great Forum software available, how they finally decided on this boat anchor is hard to believe.

Also, it is quite slow at many times through out the day.

(And that point system based on Stars, is that some kind of joke or what).

Hopefully over time, it will get better (always the optimist)...

• 8. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                        bombproofmedia

I had no issues as a new user, and i use fire fox too! I reckon it is just your set up steve. Maybe a fresh install of windows is needed??

• 9. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          is there a way for one of the forum members to do some editing on his replies if he sees a typo?

ATR,

It depneds. In general terms, so long as no replies have been posted to that message, the Edit button should be there. There is supposed to be a time limit, but I have had the Edit button months later. I have also lost it almost instantly, with no replies to it. This should not happen, but does, and with some regularity.

In the old forum, there was an approximately 30min. time span to Edit - now, it can be months, or the wink of an eye.

Steve,

I think that I missed this episode of forum mess-up. Biggest problem that I have is the constant logging-out. This is also supposed to be on a timer of approximately 4 hours, but can happen only moments after logging-in, or maybe stick for two days! I've been getting logged-out so often that I now do a Ctrl+A (Select All), Ctrl+C (Copy) and then Paste to Notepad, so as to not loose everything. If I have to go and search for links, or similar, I've just been doing separate posts, when I locate each link, because sometimes I get an Edit, and sometimes I do not, regardless of no replies to my previous post (see comment to ATR above).

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Your replies were missed. I hope that you were not away recovering from the shock of the Denver team creaming the Patriots.

Back to business, where is this edit button to which you refer? Is it present only if you are the originator of the thread or can you get that Edit post option if you are a responder?

I re-read my posts until I think that there are no typos. But, sure enough, there will be a your without the r and aspect ration instead of aspect ratio. I am certain there are pixies out there between the Post Message button and the time the post gets posted. But, I know the system here is fine, and it must be me. I owe up to that in this regard.

ATR

• 11. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                              Kurt_777 Level 1

ATR, this had me intrigued so I went to one of the threads that I had started, and checked it out. In that thread, my original post didn't have an "Edit" button. BUT, all my subsequent replies to the members' responses in that thread, did. It appears right alongside the Reply button in the bottom right corner of the post.

Unless you're a Moderator, I'm pretty sure the only way someone can "edit" someone else's post is to cut and paste it into their own reply post first, as you probably already know.

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 12. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kurt_777

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There was a place in a post where I had ACC where it should have been AAC, but just my luck no edit next to the Reply in that one. I am just a nobody, not a moderator, so I guess it stays as is.

I need to experiment with this some more. The key may be to have as header a name to whom you are responding. If you do not put a name and just write in comments in a reply space, that is when I think that you do not get the edit next to the reply.

But, now I know what to look for thanks to your help.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                  Kurt_777 Level 1

My pleasure, Tony. You're more than welcome.

And it's good to see someone on this big bad Net who actually cares about being accurate and getting their grammar right. "ACC" ain't "AAC", and I'll bet it makes a huge difference if you get it wrong! And yet I'm constantly doing battle with the young'uns who blithely try to tell me that it doesn't matter how they spell a word, as long as they know what it means!

Brother!

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 14. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                    nealeh Level 5

I think the 'edit' disappears when another user has replied to your post. If you could change the original after it has received a reply then you could twist the response.

For example if you had a thread that said "Truman was wonderful" you could then edit it, after receiving replies in agreement, to read "Hitler was wonderful". Note that these are examples only and not a reflection of my views.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 15. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Well, in my post above, where I said "My pleasure, Tony" to A T Romano, the "edit" button is still there.

Yet, you have replied to my post, so.... I dunno.

Anyway, it just goes to remind us that we should all think before we speak. Me especially.

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 16. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                        nealeh Level 5

Kurt_777 wrote:

Well, in my post above, where I said "My pleasure, Tony" to A T Romano, the "edit" button is still there.

Yet, you have replied to my post, so.... I dunno.

Not quite - I replied to Tony's item not yours. You can see this next to the time stamp:

image2.jpg

You replied to me - and my edit button has disappeared.

image.jpg

As I am now replying to your item, your edit button should have gone.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          my original post didn't have an "Edit" button.

You are correct. The one place that there is never an Edit button is on one's original post. Only a MOD, with the MOD-console, can edit that original post.

As you observe, you will most likely have the Edit button on YOUR replies (anything after the original post), that has no replies directly posted to it. This edit button stays around for an undetermined time. As I have observed, this time can be from months to almost instantly. There does not seem to be a rhyme, or reason for it. For a while, I thought that it might be that someone HAD replied, and I was just not seeing their reply. Refresh did not reveal any replies, so I have to chalk it up to those "pixies," that cause mis-spellings, or at least are cousins to those little guys

Maybe three lifetimes ago, I spent a good deal of time as a civil engineer. I guess that it was from that experience, that I developed a desire to find logic in everything that I observed. I have yet to find that logic in the edit button's appearance and disappearance. My observations are just not leading to any conclusion that I can draw - sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's gone... ?

I reported on these initial observations only days after the forum changeover. Back in the previous iteration of the fora, there was a general FAQ entry to the effect of, "One cannot rewrite history, but they WILL have approximately 30 mins. to edit their replies." That seemed to be pretty close, 15 - 45 mins. That was why I questioned the almost immediate disappearance of the edit button sometimes. The reply in the Forum Comments forum was, "someone has replied to your reply, so the edit button is gone instantly." Armed with that info, I began closer observation. Yes, I did notice that a reply usually eliminated my edit button - though there were a few exceptions, even to that. On that same forum, several time frames were suggested from the old 30 mins. to 2 days. Imagine my surprise, when I encountered several replies in the Encore forum, that were months old, and they STILL had the edit button, which worked! To date, no one from Jive (the forum software provider) has given an ironclad explanation of exactly what the circumstances are, surrounding the appearance/disappearance of the edit button. To date, my observations are totally inconclusive - no logic.

Now, one will (or should) never see an edit button on any other poster's reply - only their own, when posted with the same log-in that they are currently using. If one has more than one Adobe log-in, they should NEVER see an edit button on any replies posted from another of their accounts.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

There are two ways to view the forum (plus variations by browser, and also the differences when one views/responds via e-mail): Threaded and Flattened. I used Threaded to see the indentations when one replied to a specific reply. This is how I view many such fora, but they have many enhancements over our Jive-version here. In Threaded View, I could see the indentations fine, but things like "Reply #," now disappeared, and it was tough to find the chronology of replies, though you could see the threaded result. I gave up on that view, for Flattened, that did two things for me: showed the chronology and also gave me the Reply #'s. A trade-off yes, but I have decided to keep the Flattened View.

One way to help, when replying TO another reply, is to do a block quote of part of the reply, to which one is replying. Sometimes I get lazy and just address the poster of the reply, to which I am replying, especially if they were not the OP. I try to use a simple block quote more often, as I realize that many are viewing in Flattened View, and it is tough to follow the threaded aspect that way. In Threaded View, it's a lot easier to see when one has replied to my reply, so the edit button should disappear for me. That does seem to be the case most of the time, just not always.

Hunt

PS - in the other fora, there is a really nice feature of their Threaded View - each seen post/reply is collapsed, and ONLY new posts/replies are expanded. You know immediately what is new. You can expand any older, seen replies, at will and from within the post editing screen, or can Expand All. Back in the old days of the Adobe fora, one got a NEW banner, for all new posts/replies, plus the little "red flags," on the forum main page. I hate the loss of both of those aspects and have requested that Jive add them back, as they were very useful - to me, at least.

• 19. Re: Is it just me or is this forum getting nutty again?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As an example of the differences between the Flattened View vs the Threaded View, I have just responded to replies from Kurt and from ATR, yet my two replies appear below Neale's post, in reply to Kurt. That is the chronological order in the Flattened View. This reply to Neale, should kill his edit button on his post in reply to Kurt, and will appear at the bottom of the replies. Were one looking via Threaded View, each of my replies would be sprinkled around the thread, and indented below Kurts, ATR's and Neale's, though they all came after Neale's last post. Try it, by changing the View in one's Profile. [I only wish that I could hot-key the View in IE 7, so I could swap Views on the fly.]

Hunt