13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 11:30 AM by Steve Grisetti

Lock-up with Media Downloader

spondell

Hi,

I've got an older version of Premiere Elements (3.0) that I am trying to re-install after a hard drive crash.  The installation appears to have gone ok but when I try to direct the source menu to DVD, it opens Media Downloader, comes up with a "locating device" message, and that's all she wrote.  I've got through the checklist, down to the parts of modifying the registry, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled.  I'm betting I'm not the first person to have this problem.  If I can't get this to work, it looks like I'm out of luck with Premiere Elements (don't know what else to do).  I looked back through several pages and didn't see a solution on this Forum.  Any ideas from anyone?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
          spondell Level 1

Oh yeah, I'm running an XP Pro environment.

• 2. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Are you running that version as Premiere Elements 3.0 or the Premiere Elements 3.0.2 update?

Just an aside, you do have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 3. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
              spondell Level 1

For my re-load, it was 3.0.  After your post, I updated to 3.0.2 with the same result.  QuickTime says it is current, version 7.6.4.  I had done this same activity before the re-load with the same result.

• 4. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not meaning to sound like a smart aleck, I don't remember seeing this problem in the five years I've been hosting this forum. So you could well be the first to experience it...

• 5. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader

Interesting though that you had the same problem before you re-installed your OS!

• 6. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                    spondell Level 1

To clarify, the problems were before and after I reinstalled PE, not the OS.  I didn't use the program much before the crash and don't remember trying to source from a DVD before the crash.

• 7. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader

Does the Media Downloader work with any other device? Like a digital camera attached via USB?

This will tell us if maybe the problem is with the DVD driver rather than the downloader software itself.

• 8. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Spondell

How do you feel about a little test as follows.

Go through the motions of burning your Premiere Elements 3.0.2 Timeline to Disc, but do not. Have your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, have your media (even a few photos if not video) on the Timeline, and head over to the burn dialog. When you get there, I want you to check out two things:

a. Is there a Ready designation there with respect to the disc insertion? If not, press Rescan and see if you get the Ready designation.

b. In the burner location spot, does it clearly list the burner whose burner tray you have the DVD disc inserted?

As you probably guessed I am trying to get a handle on the burner drive recognition by Premiere Elements, taking the Media Downloader out of the equation.

Let us see how we do on this and then we can move on from there.

ATR

• 9. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                          spondell Level 1

OK - I've done ATR's test and as I go through the steps to burn the DVD, it shows a "Ready" status to the correct drive.  I'm going to reboot and try Steve Grisetti's idea of detecting another device.  I'm rebooting because I had to force PE to close last time and a file called Photo Downloader was also running and I had to force that closed.

• 10. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                            spondell Level 1

And I've tried Steve Grisetti's idea of the digital camera - still locks up while "loading device list".  I also updated the driver for the DVD recorder, but it looked like a minor update according to Dell.

• 11. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

spondell

Thanks for trying the suggestions.

Do you have any version of Photoshop Elements installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements 3.0.2?

If so, I have something else for you to try. If you have Photoshop Elements 3, 4, 5, or 6, open the Organizer and go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Camera or Card Reader and disable the Adobe Photo Downloader. I have Photoshop Elements 3, 6, 7, and 8, but not 4 and 5. I know first hand that there is a check off for disabling the Adobe Photo Downloader in versions 3 and 6. I do not see that you can do that in versions 7 and 8. And, of course I do not have versions 4 and 5.

Since nothing else has resolved your problem so far and you mentioned that the "Adobe Photo Downloader" fails to close, that got me going in this desparate direction of looking for a conflict between the Photoshop Elements "Adobe Photo Downloader" and the Premiere Elements "Media Downloader".

Have you tried "flushing the preferences".

From Steve Grisetti old and gone FAQ,

"To flush the preferences, hold down the Shift and Control keys as you start up the program, clearing up many problems. (The only trade-off is the loss of some preference settings. Project files will not be affected.)"

ATR

• 12. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader
                                spondell Level 1

I don't have Photo Elements installed and never have.  I tried the Shift/Control start to no effect.  I did find the place in the PE program files where Photo Downloader is.  Interestingly, when I launch the Photo Downloader exe, it launches Media Downloader only (not the whole PE) and it still locks up.

• 13. Re: Lock-up with Media Downloader

I would expect that something is wrong on the operating system level, since this seems to be unique to your computer.

It's possible that there's a corrupt or outdated driver somewhere (your disc drive?) that's messing things up.