10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 7:15 PM by GA_Anderson

negative y value

GA_Anderson Level 1

I realize that the zero points on Page Layout programs such as ID by default are the top left corner and that in Drawing programs such as IL the default is in the lower left corner.  I know that you can drag the cursors from the junction corner in the top left in Illustrator to put the zero points up there, but it then gives the y values (as you make a box) as a negative value.  I'm so use to positioning things in ID by using positive y values from the top left that this bothers me.  Is there a way to change the y value to positive numbers after you set the zero points to the top left corner of the document?  In other words so the x and y values display as they would in ID.

Thanks.

Gordon

• 1. Re: negative y value
          Jens Peermann Level 2

You can reset the zero point to any position you want. Bring up the Rulers and move your cursor to the upper left corner of the artboard where the Rulers intersect. Click to grab the white square and drag it onto the artboard, where it will turn into a vertical and a horizontal dotted guide.

If you want the upper left corner of the document to be the zero point, line up those two dotted guides with the upper and left edges of the document and let go the mouse button.

• 2. Re: negative y value
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gordon,

Is there a way to change the y value to positive numbers after you set the zero points to the top left corner of the document?  In other words so the x and y values display as they would in ID.

The long answer is no.

• 3. Re: negative y value
              shunithD Level 3

Jens Peermann wrote:

You can reset the zero point to any position you want. <snipped>

The OP knows that and has done exactly that. His problem is that the values on the vertical axis are then in negatives (-10, -20, -40, etc.). He wants them to be positive.

Gordon,

The answer as Jacob says, is no. Your only hope is to mentally ignore the negative values and think of them as positives. There's a thread here on the same subject:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2270763#2270763

• 4. Re: negative y value

And shunith gave the short answer.

• 5. Re: negative y value
                  GA_Anderson Level 1

Opps... reading the past threads I didn't mean to open up Pandora's box.  Thanks for the info though.

Gordon

• 6. Re: negative y value

For my part you are welcome, Gordon.

One of the problems with using negative values is that you have to think reversely when you change Y values, too: add instead of subtract, subtract instead of add.

So it is a tough issue.

• 7. Re: negative y value
                      GA_Anderson Level 1

The interesting thing is that I can see how many folks can make good arguments as to why a drawing program should reference the Y position as top to bottom, and good arguements promoting the reading of bottom to top.  But it's a little surprising (to me) that since both ID and IL reside within the Creative Suites package that Adobe would not make the decision to go one way or the other, but at least have the measurment components set up the same way within both programs,

Wouldn't Adobe jump at the chance to change modern history, make the rivers flow uphill and single-handedly decide which viewing mechanism makes the most sense and BINGO... that's the way the art world will function from this day forward...   oh well.

Gordon

• 8. Re: negative y value
                        shunithD Level 3

Jacob Bugge wrote:

And shunith gave the short answer.

• 9. Re: negative y value
                          JETalmage Level 6
                          Wouldn't Adobe jump at the chance to...single-handedly decide which viewing mechanism makes the most sense

Egads, man, a thousand times NO!

We already needlessly toil under Adobe's ideas of what "makes sense." Letting Adobe's interface designs dictate defacto norms is folly to the highest degree. It has already set vector graphics back by decades. Trust me, you don't want to see my list of inferior interface "norms" driven by Illustrator.

JET

• 10. Re: negative y value
                            GA_Anderson Level 1