4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 7:46 AM by Videoman54321

Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?

Videoman54321 Level 1

Hello,

I will be building a video editing/photo editing computer and wanted to ask some opinions about the need for a very fast scratch disc/virtual memory disc these days.

The computer will have a drive for the OS, drives for projects and a drive for the page file and scratch disc functionality.

Since I will have 12gb of RAM, I wonder how fast does this page file disc need to be?

I have the option of making it a RAID 0 setup but wonder if this would help as with so much RAM the disc would not play a mojor role?

I will be using Adobe After Effects which seems to need a lot of resources, so maybe faster the better on every component?

Thanks for your input.

• 1. Re: Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE does not really use a system's scratch disk. Most of its functions are so dependent on physical RAM, paging to disk would be meaningless as it would affect consistency of image buffers. It does, however use carious disk caches, and indeed it would help to put them on the fastest drive(s) in the system. Whether those need to be RAIDed is another question, but since AE uses an optimized image buffer format for storing the data, usualyl a good SATA drive is fast enough, as for RT playback you still have to RAM preview first. And don't be fooled: 12 GB may look like a lot, but it really isn't once you start building heavy projects and rendering them with multiprocessing as well as using specific workflows that involve other programs running at the same time (DynamicLink etc.)...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?
            Videoman54321 Level 1

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been wanting to the get AE to work well on every system I have built for the past five years.  It always seems like it needs more resources.

So a RAID 0 pagefile drive would not be necessary, correct?

What would you build in your best case AE PC?

I know at least I will use Windows 7 64bit.

Any other advice or opinoins would be welcomed.

I am seeing this computer build as one that will last since now that I shoot in 1080p, I don't see a need for anything more intensive for quite some time.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What would you build in your best case AE PC?

Good question. I do not think that I would go crazy about processing power. I so love intels Core7i processor, I'd take that route any time in favor of true Xeon processors these days. The reason being, that to me interactive performance is more important than brute rendering power and those processors due to their dynamic clocking mechanisms also function reasonably well with non-multithreaded operations, while still leaving enough room for anything that is properly multithreaded such as plug-ins like Particular v2 or any of my 3D programs' rendering routines. Of course that may be different for you. I'd definitely throw lots of RAM at it. 12 GB as I have now are okay, but 24 would be even more attractive. In that regard you should also consider, that there is a strong push for 64bit everywhere, not just at Apple and Adobe, and in the long run most professional programs will be 64bit native, allowing you to actually use all that RAM. Harddrive-wise, I would limit myself. Disks consume a lot of juice and personally I do primarily motion graphics and 3D, so the throughput of footage is not that big, even though I render 10000+ frames of 3D images regularly. A RAID would be optional to me and if at all, I'd go for an external quadruple eSATA RAID. If you do regular editing with filmed footage, of course that becomes a different story. In that case you would have your machine full with internal disks. I'd still only RAID the storage disks, not any system drives, though and if I did, I'd probably look for a RAID 5 system, not just RAID 0. A similar power monster are graphics cards and given, how little they are actually used by most Adobe programs. I'd approach this quite conservative. Pretty much any card in the 200 USD range you can buy is good enough. I'd be more concerned wheter it actually supports some plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?
                Videoman54321 Level 1

Thank you for your input.

I would like to have 24gb of ram but there is a massive price difference in the 2gb & 4gb modules.

There are not a lot (if any) of i7 boards that support more than 6 slots, so 12gb looks like the tops right now.

My main goal is to have a system that AE finally becomes a program that I want to use more often.  Even now, AE always seems like it is slow and crash prone due to lack of resources.  Maybe it will always feel this way due its design, but its functionality is amazing and a must for higher level work.