Hello. I've isolated a potential issue with PE8. The MP4 files it creates for mobile streaming fail on iPhones and Androids due to the position of the MOOV and MDAT atoms in the MP4 file. The PE8 presents puts the MDAT at the beginning and MOOV at the end. This is illegal for iPhones and Android phones to stream over http.
1. Install Premier elements 8.0
2. Make a movie
3. Click the share tab
4. Click mobile phones and players
5. Click apple iPod and iPhone
6. Choose preset= iPod and iPhone High Quality
7. Click advanced
8. On multiplexer tab, verify that multiplexing=mp4 and stream compatibility=iPod. It should be since this is the preset. Leave it as is.
9. Cancel out of the advanced dialog
10. Encode your movie
11. Upload your MP4 to an http server
12. Create an HTML file which has a link to the MP4 you uploaded
13. Visit the HTML file with your iPhone or Android
14. Click the link
The video doesn't stream, giving an error on your phone
The video to stream
PE8 is encoding the MP4 file with MDAT atoms before the MOOV atom. It is *required* for the MOOV atom to be before any MDAT atoms to enable http streaming on iPhones and Android phones.
In the preset, advanced dialog, if you choose the PSP stream compatibility, the repro will also fail. Streaming does not work on iPhones or Android phones with this preset. I have a PSP, but I am not aware of any way to stream videos to a PSP. So this advanced preset naming is misleading to me.
It is *only* if you choose the stream compatibility=standard in the advanced dialog that streaming works. With this advanced setting, the MOOV atom is before any MDAT atoms. Now streaming works on Android and iPhones.
I suspect that there is an error in the definition in the stream compatibility settings or definitions.
Would you like me to move this thread over to our Tips & Tricks area, Dale, since it may be good reference material.
I do see value in doing that. Do you think that experts (you?) or Adobe will notice it there for future investigation/resolution?
Most likely not. So it's worth writing them directly using the Contact button at the top of this page.