4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 9:16 AM by Videoman54321

Help with Large Composition Settings

Videoman54321 Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to get an effect where a video is playing, then starts to zoom out in 3d space to show other videos playing right next to it.

Sort of like the the video detaches from the frame and goes back to show it is part of a group of 20 videos.

This is like the Sprint commercials on in the US now where one thing becomes part of a larger group of things...

Anyway, I have 20 video clips and I made a composition that is 9700x5456 to hold them all at 1080p resolution.

I then placed that composition in another compostion (1920x1080).

All is fine until I render and get the "unable to allocate space for a 9700x5456 image buffer" error.

So, anything I can do to get this out of After Effects?

tuen the lights out or start in safe mode?

I am running XP 32bit with max ram.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Help with Large Composition Settings
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Ah, the constant struggle...! I don't think you can use that on a 32bit system. It might render on a 64bit system where you can get the full 4GB assigned to AE, though, just not with 3GB on a 32bit system. In your case, you should consider the "oldschool" way of doing this - build 2 or 3 comps where the images are physically sized differently so the whole grid never exceeds a number of pixels, then fade between them. visualyl it should make little difference - the motion blur during the transition would perfectly disguise the transition and when fully zoomed out, it doesn't realyl matter if the clips are scaled HD content or lower-res versions.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help with Large Composition Settings
            Videoman54321 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I got lucky.  I lowered the composition settings to 7300x3xxx and the project rendered out.

I guess the limit is somewhere between 7300 and 9700 pixels wide for a 32bit OS.

It does matter to have the full resolution clips as this will be displayed on a 1080p television.  Not too many places to hide!

Is there a 64bit version of After Effects?

I will be moving to Windows 7 64bit very soon and as everybody would want, it would be great to have access to more bandwidth.

• 3. Re: Help with Large Composition Settings
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is there a 64bit version of After Effects?

>

> I will be moving to Windows 7 64bit very soon and as everybody would want, it would be great to have access to more bandwidth.

After Effects CS4 is still a 32-bit application, but you can get substantial benefits from running it on a 64-bit operating system. See this post: "CS4 Production Premium on 64-bit operating systems".

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help with Large Composition Settings
                Videoman54321 Level 1

Thanks for your help!