3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2008 1:02 PM by vectorg6

Write data to hard disk

vectorg6
      Im creating a CD based projector that writes to the hard disk using Buddy API. Does anyone know what the best practices are for writing to the hard disk for various operating systems? Currently I have the application hard coded to write to "C:\myfoldername\ " Is there a better way to set this up that is not hard coded but also works from Win98 to WinVista? I also need some Mac information about where to write information.
        • 1. Re: Write data to hard disk
          Level 7
          It depends on what your "data" is and who needs access to it, but you
          might try using 'baSysFolder("personal")'
          • 2. Re: Write data to hard disk
            UdoGre
            quote:

Originally posted by: vectorg6
            Currently I have the application hard coded to write to "C:\myfoldername\ " .

Do not do that. This works on your machine, but it will most likely fail on any other machine where the user is not administrator. And it will fail on my computer, too, since my system (win XP) is not located on C:, which is used for a pendrive instead.

For my last project, i did a script like this:

repeat with i = 1 to 60
            put baSysFolder(string(i))
            end repeat

and looked for what folder suited me best: #35, All users\Applicationdata. For you project, you might rather use #26 (current user\applicationdata) or 28 (current user\locale settings\applicationdata).

HTH,

Udo
            • 3. Re: Write data to hard disk
              vectorg6 Level 1
              Thank you both for your answers.

I currently have
              baSysFolder("personal") which seems to be working on most machines for my application

This is the users personal documents folder