2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 12:55 PM by Judy_Arndt

Leading problems FH to AICS4

Judy_Arndt Level 3

When AICS4 imports a FreeHand MX document, visible text imports at the correct point size.

However, AI ignores leading settings for paragraph returns without associated text. It appears to reset leading of all paragraph returns to the AI default which is 120% of point size.

The result is nasty paragraph shift and text overflow. If I simply resize the type area, paragraphs are still vertically misplaced.

Is there any way in AI CS4 to reset default leading of 120%  to 100%?

Here are some screen shots of what I’m seeing. In FHMX, all text and leading was set to 12 pt in FHMX. Green text in the images below is text converted to outlines in the FH document. Black text is live text.

leading-errors-fh-aics4.gif

• 1. Re: Leading problems FH to AICS4
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In the preferences you can set the leading to 0.1 pt. That is about as close as it gets.

But thaat actually does little for you.

Perhaps making an action will do it.

• 2. Re: Leading problems FH to AICS4
            Judy_Arndt Level 3

In the preferences you can set the leading to 0.1 pt. That is about as close as it gets.

Wade, do you mean the setting in Preferences>Type? Although the preferences pane doesn't tell the user what those settings do, they control the keyboard shortcut increments (Opt+Arrow Key). They have no effect on how AI imports type.

I experimented with setting leading in Paragraph Panel>Justification, but that affects only selected text and Paragraph Styles.

I tried setting an AI Paragraph style with the same name and settings as the style in the FH document. Importing the FH document into this AI document still gave me the same type leading mistranslations.

I found this in the AICS4 Help PDF. "By default, leading is a character attribute ..." It looks like the paragraph sign and other invisible characters are not considered characters by the import engine, so their type attributes are not translated.