2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2009 7:49 PM by Steve Grisetti

difference between new project settings and export settings

thomhu

Hi folks,

I'm trying to understand the difference between the settings when you initially set up a project and when you export.

For example, you can select in the initial setup screen HDV, then choose either HDV 1080  or HDV 720. In my home movie just for fun project, I didn't know about that and just went with the default standard 48k and then mixed all kinds of formats in there with the sanyo xacti fh1 - 1920 x 1080 60 field, 1280 x 720 30 fps, 640 x 480 30fps and  downloaded clips, pics and other stuff. It seems to work ok, but I'm new and have no real frame of reference.

On the other end of things, when done and in the "share" tab,  you can export to a zillion file types, one of which is HD 720.  My question is, does it make a difference to the quality of the video whether you choose in the initial setup or export? pics attached

Thanks,

Thom Huntington

• 1. Re: difference between new project settings and export settings
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Of course it makes a difference what you choose as your project setting!

Your project setting should match your source material. If you are using video from a miniDV camcorder, for instance, you should use the DV setting. If from an HDV camcorder, the HDV setting, etc. Using the incorrect project setting can mean a lot of extra rendering, and an occasional interlacing problem, later.

Your output settings are a different matter -- but your output can only be as good as your input. For instance, you can't output a hi-def video from a standard def video project. So, for output, you can go down in resolution but not up.

Make sense?

• 2. Re: difference between new project settings and export settings
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Specific to your Sanyo, you should only shoot video you plan to edit in Premiere Elements in full AVCHD -- and then use the AVCHD settings in Premiere Elements. Those hybrid videos your camcorder is capable of producing are only going to lead to problems with Premiere Elements.

As for AVCHD, the downside is that it's one of the most challenging consumer video formats in the world to edit! Because it is highly compressed hi-definition video, it takes a lot of power to work with it. Most people who are successfully working with it are using a quad core processors with 4 gigs of RAM. If your computer is less powerful than that, you may find a lot of performance challenges trying to work with AVCHD.