15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 11:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio

MobiMel Level 1

Hi,

I downloaded and used the Prism Video Converter to obtain the desirable DV-AVI for my project. My FLIP videos converted fine but my MPG videos from my Sony DV now have no audio. I used the conversion settings recommended in the Video Conversion post on this forum. Should I use different settings? Should I use a different software?

Thanks,
      Melanie

• 1. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you hear audio when you play the clip in Windows Media Player?

• 2. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
            MobiMel Level 1

Hi,

Yes, the original MPG played Audio fine both in Windows Media Player and in Premiere Elements. After I converted to DV-AVI with the Prism Converter I lost the Audio.

The MPG was created using the Sony Picture Motion Browser import to computer function direct from the camcorder mini disc. It saves the footage to your computer as MPG by default (It looks like MPEG-2). Then I edited down the MPG to the clip I wanted (still in Sony Picture Motion Browser) and then converted that to DV-AVI with Prism. THEN I loaded the DV-AVI clip into PE8...no audio.

Am I missing a codec? I started to download some free packages suggested by Prism but got worried when I read that Microsoft strongly advises against adding free codecs. I also looked into Square D's MPEG Streamclip but it warns about some uninstall/reinstall gymnastics that need to be performed with Apple Quicktime in order to get the right codecs...but that by time it was after midnight and I was getting highly frustrated. Hoping the forum can help shorten the path to video nirvana.

Thanks,

Melanie

• 3. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio

I can't say, Melanie. You kind of threw us a curve ball, bringing the Sony Motion Picture Browser into the mix. I've no idea what codecs that program is using.

What type of camcorder is your original video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

• 4. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                Kodebuster Level 3

Melanie, for clarification, you used the Sony Browser to to not only download from your camera to Mpeg, but also edited the same via the Browser to output a final Mpeg.

This edited Mpeg from the Sony Browser played audio and video just fine, prior to conversion with Prism.

Can you tell us the (Sony) camcorder that was used for the original content.

I'm asking because if it is a Mini-DVD style Handycam, there may be a way to convert the VOB files on the Mini-Disc directly to DV-AVI, bypassing the Mpeg step (Prism will also convert from VOB format directly to DV-AVI, so will VirtualDub)...

• 5. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                  MobiMel Level 1

Hi,

It's a Sony DCR-DVD505. Nothing special. Uses standard mini discs and raw output is in VOB format. Sony Motion Picture Browser ships with the camcorder. I put the disc from the camcorder in my computer's DVD player and Sony Motion Picture Browser fires up automatically. There's a function in there to copy the videos you select from the DVD to the computer. The files are copied in .MPG format by default.

You can then use the Motion Picture Browser software to do simple editing to the .MPG videos you just copied to your computer...which I did. I just clipped them down to the bits I wanted.

At first I imported those edited .MPG's from my computer to PE8. PE played them fine, audio and video  (as did Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker). It was when I started trying to edit in PE that the problems began (I won't bore you with the hopeless debacle of using WMM). I reported the PE* crashing problem here and at first we all thought it was my FLIP videos which I dutifully converted to DV-AVI with the Prism software. They work great.

Since DV-AVI is the preferred format for PE, I also converted the .MPG files...that's when I lost the Audio.

Arggh! This is so frustrating!

So, do I need to go all the way back to my original VOB files and convert those to DV-AVI using Prism? That means I have to redo all the editing/clipping on about 40 videos. Yuk.  I assume the best place to do that is in PE.

Or can I use the .MPG files that seemed to be playing fine in PE8? I bet the answer is no.

Thanks,

Melanie

• 6. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                    MobiMel Level 1

Hi there,

Just responded to Steve so this may be a little repetitive. Don't want to miss an opportunity to get help.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. It is a mini-DVD style cam. And yes, I know I can convert straight from the VOBs to DV-AVI with Prism. The only problem is that I will have to redoing all the clipping I already did in Motion Picture Browser for over 40 videos. Yikes.

If that's the answer, that's the answer. At least I'll know for next time. What a learning curve this video thing is!!!

Thanks,

Mel

• 7. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio

There may be a simpler way, of course.

What other output options are available from the Motion Picture Browser? MPEG is probably not the most efficient format to use in this case.

• 8. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                        Kodebuster Level 3

I've used the Sony Browser very little over the years, to my knowledge even with the latest version, the only output option is Mpeg.

When I did use it, I only used it to download to Mpeg, and never used any of its editing capabilities.

You may be best served to first convert to DV-AVI successfully, then use PE to edit to your satisfaction...

• 9. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                          MobiMel Level 1

Hi Steve,

It looks like MPEG is the only output option. I could find no place to select a different output option and there is no reference to other available output options in the help files (that I could find).

I looked hopefully in the DVD Creation menus for conversion options but no luck. There was one line in the help files under DVD Creation that specifically states that MPEG files cannot be converted in the DVD creation process.

Thanks,

Melanie

• 10. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                            Barb__O Level 4

An observation --

Sony DCR-DVD505

looking at the camcorderinfo.com site, I see that this camcorder records 5.1 audio

"The DVD505 compresses video onto DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs in the MPEG-2 format. ....

Audio is compressed into Dolby Digital 2/5.1 channel sound.

So perhaps the 5.1 audio is complicating the conversion process.

Previously posted in this thread --

"You can then use the Motion Picture Browser software to do simple editing to the .MPG videos you just copied to your computer...which I did. I just clipped them down to the bits I wanted.

At first I imported those edited .MPG's from my computer to PE8. PE played them fine, audio and video"

A suggestion to try -

Open a new Premiere Elements project (project setting for SD HDD,DVD camcorder) and place only one of these .mpg's that you had clipped with Motion Picture Browser on the Timeline. Then Output from Premiere Elements 8 to DV-AVI: in other words try using PE 8 to do the conversion of your .mpg from the Sony Motion Picture Browser to DV-AVI!!

I know that suggestion sounds weird, but using PE 7 worked for me to convert a .mpg with 5.1 audio from a Sony HDD DCR-SR100 to DV-AVI. So I think it is worth a try with your video and PE 8.   However, don't do any editing in this PE 8 project and try it first with only 1 clip (mpg file).

Steve or someone else who has PE 8,

Please post how to do the DV-AVI output under PE 8 because I don't have v8 installed.

• 11. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                              MobiMel Level 1

Barb, you goddess, you. Using PE to convert the MPG to DV-AVI worked. I now have a working AVI. Though I noticed after converting and importing only one of these AVIs into my project, PE got busy rendering again. Hopefully my performance issues don't come back. I'll get the rest of them converted and let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Melanie

• 12. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                                Barb__O Level 4

Well , I like good news of course, but I will also give credit to Steve Grisetti because he was the one who had originally suggested that I try using PE 7 to convert my .mpg file with 5.1 audio.

HOWEVER, I am puzzled about why it is rendering

"importing only one of these AVIs into my project, PE got busy rendering again"

Steve, what do you think about the rendering???

• 13. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                                  Barb__O Level 4

Melanie,

What are the project settings for the project that you are using to do the editing?

For the project in which you do the editing of the converted to DV-AVI video files, the project  should have a  DV setting for widescreen or standard.

• 14. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                                    MobiMel Level 1

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the tip. I checked my project settings and they are set for DV for NTSC. The rendering may have been happening because I also had my old not-converted-properly AVIs still in the project. I've removed all that and am now working on converting those videos again...this time using PE8. I'll report to the group the results once I've got everything strung back together again.

Thanks for your help!

Melanie

• 15. Re: Prism-Converted MPG's Now Have No Audio
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Melanie

It sounds like you did a good job creating your DV AVI and were able to find the export location for that yourself.

This has been stated elsewhere in these threads, but I will repeat it for those who may have missed it.

In Premiere Elements 8, if you wish to export your Timeline to DV AVI, there is no longer a File Menu/Export/Movie route. File Menu/Export is now the route for just Title saving. To export your Timeline as DV AVI, you need to go to Share/Personal Computer/AVI (no longer just Share/Personal Computer/DV AVI). Once there you select one of the following:

DV NTSC Standard

DV NTSC Widescreen

DV PAL Standard

DV PAL Widescreen

Also, now a copy of the DV AVI created is no longer placed automatically in media of the project prel that it was created from. You need to go to the hard drive save location that you designated in the export dialog and bring it in from there to Premiere Elements 8 media panel with Get Media/Files & Folders.

Melanie, apparently what you needed was the DV AVI conversion. If the route within the program works, which it did in your case, that is great, quick, and the way to go. Sometimes it does not. At the onset, I would have suggested MPEG Streamclip, instead of Prism, for the conversion and am 99.99999999999999% sure that would have worked for you.

http://www.squared5.com/

But you did a good job. Keep up the good work.

ATR