1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 4:59 AM by RossRitchey

sync netstream to timeline possible?

jiggy1965 Level 1

Is there a way to sync a netstream flv to the main timeline? I want the animation on layer 1 to play in sync with the netstream object on layer 2, that's why. netstream.time only provides seconds so I would lose a lot of frames of the animation. And adding a cue point for every frame would be a bit too much.

• 1. Re: sync netstream to timeline possible?
          RossRitchey Level 4

There is not a reliable method for doing this.

This is because the animation on layer 1 is preloaded, and the netstream loads at run-time - causing it to buffer.  You can not guarantee the users connection speed, and therefore, cannot guarantee the amount of buffering that will be necessary to play the netstream object.

Typically, what I would do, is to import the video (I am assuming that is what your netstream object is) into Flash and embed it in the timeline, and then put the animation on top of that.  If you don't (understandably) want to have a SWF that large, then export that out as a video (with the animation), and convert the video to a flash video format.  Then you can simply have a video player SWF that loads the entire thing.

If, on the other hand, the animation needs to be interactive, you will have to foray into the realm of programmatic animation using cue points, or a direct, embedded video.