Can't speak for Elements 8, but in Elements 6 you can do it like this:
- Rt-click the layer and choose Duplicate Layer
- In the ensuing pop-up dialog, click the Destination Document drop-down list, choose New
- Type a name of your choice for the new document
- Click OK.
A new document is created containing the chosen layer. Click File -> Save As to save it to disk in whatever format you prefer.
Hoe that helps you find the equivalent for your version of PSE.
RE ...ability to export all layers at once...
Just tried this, works OK in PSE 6:
- Click the first layer
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key and click the other layers you're interested in exporting - they should now all be selected
- Rt-click any of the selected layers and select Duplicate Layers, then follow the remaining steps of my first attempt.
Edit: Just found that you can use Shift-Click as well, to select a number of adjacent layers in one go.
[I'm learning new tricks here as well :-) ]
If you have pse 6 through pse 10, then this export layers to files script should work:
1. download and unzip
2. right click on the script and choose copy
3. navigate to the elements scripts folder
example path: (windows and sustitute your version for 8.0)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 8.0\Presets\Scripts
4. right click in a blank area and choose paste
5. start or restart elements and export layers to files should be listed under Files>Automation Tools