8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 8:34 AM by Doyle Lonnigan Branched to a new discussion.

Rendering Problems - Error Messages

Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

Hi, all.  I'm trying to export an h.264 format video which will be uploaded to YouTube, but I'm having an issue.  Each time I try, it seems to render fine but after it's done I get an alarm sound and I'm told:

After Effects Out of memory (102400 requested)

(23::40)

When I click "okay", I'm hit with this one:

After Effects: AEGP Plugin Media IO plugin: UNRECOGNIZED EXCEPTION

(5027::12)

Does this mean anything to anyone?  I seem to be able to export avi's, MPG2 and Quicktime just fine, but everything I'm reading is telling me that h.264 is the format to go with for YouTube.  Anyway, if anyone can offer any advice I'd appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It helps if you tell us such things as what version of After Effects you're using, what operating system you're using, how much RAM you have, what you've already tried to troubleshoot this problem, what steps exactly you're using when trying to export...

• 2. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
            Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

CS3, Windows XP, 2 GB RAM.  So far, I've tried stretching the movie from it's native 640 x 360 to what I'm told is HD, that is 1280 x 7220.  Since posting, I also found a nifty YouTube video which seems to explain the problem and offer a fix.  This guy's explanation is that the h.264 output module was originally designed for SD video and that wider aspect ratios will confuse it.  His suggestion is to choose Quicktime as your output module, choose h.264 as your compression codec, and ignore AfterEffects when it tells you not to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzTYh3f8Ww&feature=related

Anyway, this seems to work, though the quality was not as good as I'd hoped.  Not bad, though.  I'm going to try to tweak the settings and see if I can improve the result, but in the meantime I'm still receptive to alternate explanations and courses of action.

• 3. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I've been happy with using F4V (H.264 in a Flash video container) for YouTube. That's how I encoded this. But that's only available in After Effects CS4.

I'd think that encoding to H.264 in a QuickTime container would work fine from After Effects CS3---being sure to use the Render Queue panel and not the FIle > Export menu command.

One thing that seems problematic in your description is this:

> "So far, I've tried stretching the movie from it's native 640 x 360 to what I'm told is HD, that is 1280 x 7220."

There's no way that's ever going to look good. Doubling the width and height of a movie is guaranteed to make the result look blocky and pixelated, since the software has to make up image data for every second pixel in width and height (meaning that 3/4 of the whole image is fabricated).

• 4. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
                Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

Thanks, Todd.  I realized that the quality would suffer if I stretched it, so let me ask you this:

The video is basically a person green screened and placed in front of an animated background.  The background is made up of text elements and solids generated within AE, along with a couple of pre-produced graphics.  I was afraid that if I increased the comp size to the larger dimensions, then I'd have to basically realign and scale all of the individual elements by hand to fit the new size.

So, what I did instead was to create a new composition at 1280 x 720 and nest the original 640 x 360 comp within it, stretching it to the new borders.  I figure that AE will automatically scale all of the vector elements in proportion for maximum resolution and I won't have to do any resizing.  The only issue at that point is the spokesperson, which was shot on a standard def handy cam (yeah, I know) and which will obviously suffer a bit at the higher resolution.  Is my logic sound?  Anyway, that's rendering right now so I guess I'll see how it works out shortly.

RESULT:  Frankly, it didn't look much better than when I stretched it.  So far, the best results I've gotten has been from rendering an uncompressed avi file and converting to a WMV file with Windows Media Encoder.  Much smaller file sizes and I think the video looked better.  Since most of what I've read has almost universally said that h.264 is the best, I assume I'm doing something wrong.  I mean, the live video portion will never be HD, but I don't see why the text isn't sharper.  Anyway, I continue to refine my methods, so I'm still soliciting advice from any and all comers.

• 5. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Did you enable continuous rasterization in the pre-comped text layers? That should take care of those problems. For upsizing the actor, you should look into tools like Instant HD or the Boris Upres plug-in. And even without them, definitely make sure to reduce block artifacts before resizing. This should notably increase quality as well as make it possible to apply additional effects for sharpening (Unsharp Mask etc.)...

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
                    Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

Well, thanks for that.  Most appreciated.  I'm not sure how to enable continuous rasterization or reduce block artifacts, but I'll take a look at the AE Help to find out about it.  Is my reasoning sound about scaling all up of the vector objects proportionally by nesting the smaller comp within a larger one?  I assume the render takes a little longer, since AE has to do the additional math, but vector is vector, right?

• 7. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, exactly. Vectors stay sharp as long as there are no effects applied to them that would enforce rasterization. Simply enable the little sun-like symbol on the layer that is your nested comp.

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Rendering Problems - Error Messages
                        Doyle Lonnigan Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium.  Appreciated, as always.