15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 9:32 PM by samanthahhi

Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000

marcbarriere Level 1

Wich opening presets for my projects  should I use  for avi from Nikon D5000?

The files are AVI: 1280x720 at 24 frames/s. Here is attached a very short video.

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unfortunately, you can't edit video from a still camera in Premiere Elements.

The best solution is to either edit it in MovieMaker or use MovieMaker to convert it to a DV-AVI, per the specs in this FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
            marcbarriere Level 1

Thank you for the information. But, I am very deceived. I like Premier elements very much, the way it works.

I dont understand there is no warning that Premier elements dont work properly with files from Nikon D5000.

I can import files in a project but there is a lot of problems (crashes, memorie, etc.) so It is not possible to export in good quality (exporting for youtube, works  properly).

I am very deceived,

It is like if Lightroom did not accept raw files from Nikon or Sony...

Can I get my money back?

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not from me! I'm just a guy in Milwaukee!

But you can certainly contact the vendor you bought the program from.

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless Nikon has changed things, the files should be MJPEG and the installation of one of the MJPEG CODEC's should solve the problem for you. The Morgan and MainConcept get very high marks, and there is also Lead.

You might want to Search the PrPro forum for Nikon D-90 (think there are some D-3000 comments too), for a lot of details on these files. With the proper CODEC installed, PrPro handles the footage fine, and I would assume that PrE could do similar, though have to admit that I have not tried it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                  marcbarriere Level 1

The files are AVI. Here one of them:

http://barriere.info/ftp/

I will look at your message.

Thank you

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

marcbarriere

I have actually downloaded the sample clip that your posted and looked at it in Premiere Elements 8.

In addition, I did my homework and looked at:

a. its properties cited in Premiere Elements properties

b. the gspot software description of the clip

I found it to be a 1 second clip, with a video codec of MotionJPEG and audio codec PCM Audio. Frame size: 1280 x 720. Frame rate: 24 frames per second.

I set the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) to PAL HDV HDV 720p25 (template from which to edit). The clip opened  in Premiere Elements 8 without problem (I do have the LEAD codec installed.) And, there was audio. The image  in the Edit Mode Monitor was good to excellent as was the sound, but, as I said, the download was 1 second.

In addition, Premiere Elements 8 has Share/Personal Computer/MPEG as well as QuickTime and other that will probably meet your export needs.

I would also add that I have a point and shoot camera (not a DV Camcorder or any other camcorder) that shoots AVI MPEG4. I can import that into Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8 and get beautiful results consistently for Share/Personal Computer/ as well as Share/Disc/Disc.

Since your source media are MotionJPEG, some or all of your problems may be resolved with installing the LEAD or Morgan codec as Hunt has implied. The LEAD codec is not the $10 codec that it used to be. It is now part of a $600 kit. So, look at the Morgan codec. Also, make sure that your computer is optimized.

What little there was of it, your video and audio played great in my tryout of Premiere Element 8. Do not be too quick to run away from Premiere Elements 8. Look for yourself and then decide.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

marcbarriere

The first download was 1 sec (DSC_1056.AVI), and I commented on that in the previous post.

I just downloaded your 10 sec (DSC_1448.AVI), and it also loaded well in Premiere Elements 8 and looked good in the Edit Mode Monitor.

Rendering of the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard is a good idea to get the best possible preview, but in this case the unrendered Timeline looked very good.

In both cases, there was good quality video and audio, and system was stable.

Please continue with your work with the suggestions made by Hunt and I. We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

(When you get to export, do not forget to look at the settings under the Advance button in a particular export type.)

• 8. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                        marcbarriere Level 1

Hello!

Thank you for the information.

You set the presets template to PAL HDV HDV 720p25. As I am in Canada

(NTSC) do you think it is better for me to use  HDV720p30?

I can import the files. I had pay attention to the advance setting for

export. Is that a good idea to change them to 23.9 images/sec for an

export in mpeg. I want to have the best quality.

A+

marcbarriere

I have actually downloaded the sample clip that your posted and looked at it in Premiere Elements 8.

>

I found it to be a 1 second clip, with a video codec of MotionJPEG and audio codec PCM Audio. Frame size: 1280 x 720. Frame rate: 24 frames per second.

I set the Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) to PAL HDV HDV 720p25 (template from which to edit). The clip opened  in Premiere Elements 8 without problem (I do have the LEAD codec installed.) And, there was audio. The image  in the Edit Mode Monitor was good to excellent as was the sound, but, as I said, the download was 1 second.

In addition, Premiere Elements 8 has Share/Personal Computer/MPEG as well as QuickTime and other that will probably meet your export needs.

I would also add that I have a point and shoot camera (not a DV Camcorder or any other camcorder) that shoots AVI MPEG4. I can import that into Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, and 8 and get beautiful results consistently for Share/Personal Computer/ as well as Share/Disc/Disc.

Since your source media are MotionJPEG, some or all of your problems may be resolved with installing the LEAD or Morgan codec as Hunt has implied. The LEAD codec is not the $10 codec that it used to be. It is now part of a $600 kit. So, look at the Morgan codec. Also, make sure that your computer is optimized.

What little there was of it, your video and audio played great in my tryout of Premiere Element 8. Do not be too quick to run away from Premiere Elements 8. Look for yourself and then decide.

ATR

>

• 9. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                          marcbarriere Level 1

One antoyher thing:

For the output how can I keep the images at 1280x720, The settings seems

to be lock at 720x480. Is 29.97 is the same as 24 f/s?

Thank you again.

Marc

marcbarriere

>

ATR

>

• 10. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that your output is "locking into" 720 x 480 is because a DV Export Preset was chosen. DV (DVD-Video) is 720 x 480 @ 29.97 fps. You will need to choose a Preset that allows for the 1280 x 720 @ 24 fps. The NTSC 720p should allow this for playback on a computer, or via BD (Blu-ray Disk) on a 720p set-top player.

There is quite a difference between the 29.97 fps and 24 fps Frame Rate. You will want to keep the Frame Rate of your source footage, unless you have a really good reason to deviate from that. One reason would be, say a Flash FLV file with a lower Frame Rate, or other streaming delivery.

ATR had previously pointed out (in another thread) that the Lead CODEC for MJPEG was now part of a major package. Both Morgan and MainConcept are individual CODEC's, and get very high marks from most users. On the PrPro forum, one user had an issue with the Morgan, but the MainConcept worked 100%. Because of the other users reporting total success with the Morgan, I almost have to assume OE (Operator Error) in that one case. Otherwise, it seems to make no difference with MJPEG footage. I'd go with the Morgan first, and be sure to install per the instructions. Reboot, and then test.

Please report your success and good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

marcbarriere

I have been busy this morning experimenting with your 10 sec video sample and Premiere Element 8.

First about your question

I suspect that Hunt may not have targeted the situation to which you refer. He seems to be at the level of the MPEG preset of NTSC or PAL DV. I think that you were referrring to settings under the Advance button. There, if you dot the NTSC and find frame width = 720, frame height = 480, and frame rate = 29.97 and you want frame width = 1280, frame height 720, and frame rate = 24 frames per second, then:

a. click on 720 and type in 1280

b. click on 480 and type in 720

c. click the arrow in the frame rate spot to get the drop down list and then select 24.

Next, let us go over the starting media, in this case, your 10 sec clip DSC_1448.AVI with:

a. Video codec = MotionJPEG, file extension = .avi, frame size 1280 x 720, frame rate 24 frames/second, fields = progressive, pixel aspect ratio = 1.0.

b. Audio codec = PCM, 11025 Hz 176 kb/s (1 chnl, aka Mono).

And you say that you are in a NTSC location.

This is my suggestion for a first try:

Make sure that you have the LEAD or Morgan codec installed as per prior discussions.

Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) = PAL HDV HDV 720p25 and use that as your editing template.

As for export, try:

a. Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with preset HD720p25. And then under the Advance Button/Video Tab, all that you will have to change is frame rate from 25 to 24 frames per second.

or

b. Share/Personal Computer/MPEG with preset HD720p25. And then under the Advance Button/Video Tab, dot the NTSC instead of PAL, change the frame size as detailed above, change the frame rate to 24 frames per second, and change the Pixel Aspect Ratio to "Square Pixels 1.000". (Please note that you could have gotten to this same place by selecting the preset HD720p30, making the appropriate setting changes to get the settings just described for Advance/Video Tab with the preset HD720p25.)

Now for the audio export....you started out with PCM 11025 Hz Mono. In the HD720p25 or 30 preset, you can set the audio format at MPEG, Dolby Digital, or PCM and advance from Mono to Stereo as well as another compression type. Do not forget to click on the arrow in each category to get the drop down with the options.

Let us see how you do.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                                marcbarriere Level 1

I think I have got it.

[I have try the morgan codec: It dont work. I dont need it (I have

Windows 7). ]

The good settings seems to be:  mpeg2 codex , 1280x720x24frames.

You can see the result au http://www.barriere.info/ftp

the #1 is at PAL outpout settings, the #2 is at ntsc.

I dont understand but the PAL settings are a lot better.

Do you think it is a good setting even if I an in Canada?

Pal settings:

NTSC settings

>> For the output how can I keep the images at 1280x720, The settings seems

>> to be lock at 720x480. Is 29.97 is the same as 24 f/s?

>>    

>

The reason that your output is "locking into" 720 x 480 is because a DV Export Preset was chosen. DV (DVD-Video) is 720 x 480 @ 29.97 fps. You will need to choose a Preset that allows for the 1280 x 720 @ 24 fps. The NTSC 720p should allow this for playback on a computer, or via BD (Blu-ray Disk) on a 720p set-top player.

There is quite a difference between the 29.97 fps and 24 fps Frame Rate. You will want to keep the Frame Rate of your source footage, unless you have a really good reason to deviate from that. One reason would be, say a Flash FLV file with a lower Frame Rate, or other streaming delivery.

ATR had previously pointed out (in another thread) that the Lead CODEC for MJPEG was now part of a major package. Both Morgan and MainConcept are individual CODEC's, and get very high marks from most users. On the PrPro forum, one user had an issue with the Morgan, but the MainConcept worked 100%. Because of the other users reporting total success with the Morgan, I almost have to assume OE (Operator Error) in that one case. Otherwise, it seems to make no difference with MJPEG footage. I'd go with the Morgan first, and be sure to install per the instructions. Reboot, and then test.

Please report your success and good luck,

Hunt

>

• 13. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

marcbarriere

I am still trying to download your videos, so for now, I will ask the question "Where do you intend to view your edited exported videos?" TV, computer, other?

I will be back later.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                                    marcbarriere Level 1

My son has a project of indi film , may be for tv. A no budget 

project. But if it works it has to be the best quality possible

I want to do Some videos more personnal.

• 15. Re: Premiere elements 8 - wich preset for avi from Nikon D5000
                                      samanthahhi

Now this is some great tutelage...bless you!