3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 6:04 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Can you repeat a clip on the same track?

Webshark2000 Level 1

This has bugged me forever.  If I have a looping background, is there a way to get it to just loop forever without needing to create other tracks and pulling the beginning of it to match up with the end of itself?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can you repeat a clip on the same track?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

EDIT: While what I wrote above is still true, it's important to note that if you select an imported footage item in the Project panel, go to Interpret Footage (the button in the bottom left corner of the project panel, or right click item > Interpret Footage > Main) you'll see that at the bottom of the IF dialog there is a "Loop" option. If you set a number of repetitions there, the resulting layer in the timeline will include those cycles. This will loop the content of an imported element (video or image sequences), it won't repeat the animation you create with keyframes or other methods.

------------------

No, the After Effects' timeline follows a layer-based model, which is a bit different from the track-based model used in video editing applications. As you noticed, in a layer-based model, each layer defines its' own track. Even if you split a layer in the timeline, the result will be two layers.

The track-based model in NLEs is more efficient for long-form, narrative editing. The layer-based model in AE hugely succesful for the, mmm, layered nature of content typicially created in AE

If you want to simplfy the timeline stack, you can select the multiple copies of the layer you're using for your loop and pre-compose them (Layer > Pre-Compose)  so they show as a single element in the timeline

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you repeat a clip on the same track?
            Webshark2000 Level 1

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

If you want to simplfy the timeline stack, you can select the multiple copies of the layer you're using for your loop and pre-compose them (Layer > Pre-Compose)  so they show as a single element in the timeline

That's what I ususally end up doing.

Adolfo Rozenfeld wrote:

you'll see that at the bottom of the IF dialog there is a "Loop" option. If you set a number of repetitions there, the resulting layer in the timeline will include those cycles.

That's exactly what I've been needing.  Thanks a million!

• 3. Re: Can you repeat a clip on the same track?
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              That's exactly what I've been needing.  Thanks a million!

Glad to hear. That of course will only work to loop the original frames of an imported footage item.

If you want to loop an animation cycle, there's no need to duplicate the layers - Just Pre-Comp the animated layer(s), then enable time remapping for the resulting Pre-Comp and create keyframes to repeat the nested animation.