5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 4:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue

Liptontee1234

Hello,

I've decided now that I am going to create animated films in Flash and then edit them in Premiere Elements. the problem is, is that when I export it from Flash to Premiere Elements the Image quality is detiereoreted (i.e fuzzy, blurry, out of focus, general ugly to look at). I first realised that I couldnt use an swf file in Premiere and isntead I should use an AVI. So I did. Problem is I'm still having the same problem. the Image quality is still terrible and doesn't equal up to the origonal image quality. And then tried Uncompressing it and all that did is make the video clip jump over about 80 frames and still the image quality is terrible. Is their one little thing that I'm doing wrong or Am I altogether not getting this right.

Programs I'm using:

Macromedia Flash MX 2004

Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0

Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 (currently not working)

• 1. Re: Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A plain vanilla AVI or even an uncompressed AVI won't work in Premiere Elements, Lipton. You need to output an AVI using the DV codec (DV-AVI) -- which I'm not sure Flash is capable of doing.

You'll know you've got a usable file when you place it on the Premiere Elements timeline and there is neither a red nor green line above it on the timeline.

Other AVI codecs are going to give you poor quality or problematic performance.

• 2. Re: Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue
            Liptontee1234 Level 1

Alright alright, so what would I have to do? find a DV codec or get a completly different program? (that would be a pain)

thanks for the insight by the way

• 3. Re: Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is Flash capable of producing a DV-AVI file?

If not, it's possible a conversion may work -- but that could also lead to a reduction in video quality.

Is Flash designed to create TV quality video?

• 4. Re: Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue
                Liptontee1234 Level 1

yes, flash has been created for Tv use. but I think becuase I'm using an earlier version of Flash (Macromedia not Adobe) it hasnt made the switch yet.

however I have tried putting my Flash videos through phtoshop and turning them into a flipbook but I still keep getting the same problem.

So I guess the only solution is to find a codec for DV format

• 5. Re: Flash in Premiere Elements Image Quality issue
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The MS DV CODEC should be installed on your system already. Whether Flash can Export to it could still be an issue. I'll have to check my version of Flash (think that it's Studio 8, but I've had it around from version 2) to see what all of the options are.

I've been handed many Flash animations that were Exported as .MOV with the Animation CODEC, and these have edited fine.

Other than the huge file sizes, AVI [Uncompressed] should work fine too. You might have resource issues, but that would depend on your system, more than on your NLE. I've used these with no issues many times.

Another likely candidate would be the free Lagarith Lossless CODEC. I use it for intermediate transfer and it edits fine in PrPro. I would assume that it would be the same in PrE, but cannot verify this.

On Monday, I'll be on my workstation with Flash and will tell you the exact version, plus the Export options available.

Good luck,

Hunt