13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 1:13 PM by Steve Grisetti

Pre7- A Preview question.

rajsangeet

Hi all,

Is there a  way to preview what will be the end result on computer monitor, without burning a dvd? Would a video card allow me to add a small 13" TV output to monitor the end result? Many thanks!

Raj

• 1. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
          nealeh Level 5

rajsangeet wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a  way to preview what will be the end result on computer monitor, without burning a dvd? Would a video card allow me to add a small 13" TV output to monitor the end result? Many thanks!M

Raj

• Press the [Enter] key to render your project.
          • Double-click the first clip of your project. This brings up the clip in the Preview panel.
          • Right-click in the Preview panel and select Magnification 100%.
          • Click 'Play'. The  video plays using the exact pixel count off  your project settings.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, yes, with a video card that includes a DVI output, you certainly could hook up a TV for previewing your video. In fact, that's a pretty common thing for professional editors to do.

• 3. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
              rajsangeet Level 1

Hi Steve and Nealeh,

So I need to invest in a video card to see how it would actually appear on TV. Would a 13" TV work? Any suggestion on a video card around $50.00? Thank you!

Raj

• 4. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.

A 13" TV should be perfect. Remember, you're only going to be a few feet from it.

I hate to recommend specific models of anything, but this one should do.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4116640&CatId=2 8

You don't need a lot of graphics power for editing video, the way you do with gaming computers. But having outputs for a second monitor and to a TV can be a real bonus.

• 5. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                  nealeh Level 5

rajsangeet wrote:

So I need to invest in a video card to see how it would actually appear on TV. Would a 13" TV work? Any suggestion on a video card around $50.00? Thank you!

Take a look at the back of your PC first. You will already have a graphics output (built in to the motherboard or a dedicated video card) otherwise you couldn't see anything when using your computer. So it is possible that that output device may already include TV outputs (typically S_Video or Component) you could use.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Raj

I have not directed my Premiere Elements 7 Previews to a TV Monitor. Going on what I have read, it can be done with Premiere Elements 7 settings/DV Camcorder or VCR/TV. See the write-up in the Premiere Elements 7 Help PDF under Preview on a TV monitor.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/WS474B7BCD-6B6E-4be3-8B95-A54549D127F7.ht ml

But, my understanding of that is that you needed an active Timeline and would be monitoring that on a TV screen as compared to the Edit Mode Monitor depending on your Premiere Elements 7 Playback Settings.

Also see Playback Settings by right clicking the Edit Mode Monitor and selecting Playback Settings.

I too would be interested to know how the others who are actually doing this are doing it. With whatever setup will work, do you see on the TV the active Timeline in the Edit Mode Monitor at ? magnification and will the TV screen show this same active Timeline if you hit Full Screen? Also, has anyone managed to “preview” video clips in the Organizer on a TV Monitor?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                      nealeh Level 5

What actually is your objective with the TV preview?

Like any consumer electronics, TV quality can vary enormously. Go into any electronics store and stand back from their TV displays. You will see significant variation in colour, sharpness and contrast. What looks good on one TV may look dreadful on another.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                        rajsangeet Level 1

Hi Steve,
                        I should have bought a regular computer, but instead I ended up getting a low profile Dell without realizing I can't use regular size PCI-e cards. So it has to be a low profile one. There are couple listed in Microcenter, which is nearby, so I don't have to pay shipping. They didn't have the PNY one you sugtested in low profile. Could you check these our for me?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315741
                        http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0305869

Another things is that I just, may be a month ago, threw out a nice 13" TV so now I have to buy that as well. Boy I could kick myself,
                        or may be one of you could take that pleasure.

Thanks Steve for all your help!

Hi Nealeh and ATR,
                        I have only one monitor output, for the computer monitor. Not only that I have to buy a IEEE 1394, low profile off course,  card as well to import the video from my Canon. The main idea is to see almost exactly what the file will play on real TV for almost a professional video. I will also try connecting the TV via video camera, without using video card.
                        Thank you for all your help.
                        Raj

P.S. You all make this world a better place to live and enjoy!

• 9. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.

Either of those should work great, Raj!

BTW, I don't know if you are also interested in having a dual-monitor set-up -- which creates a very big desktop so you can spread out your video editing panels. (I couldn't live without mine!) But, if you are, about the only thing you'll need besides that card (and another monitor) is one of these.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0232171

Meantime, Raj, I invite you to drop by our "sister" site, Muvipix.com.

http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/

Lots of friendly and helpful people there, as well as lots of tutorials, tips, DVD templates, music, motion backgrounds and video clips there. Much of it free (and the forum is always free), and there's even more for subscribers.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                            rajsangeet Level 1

Hi all,

I was able to install the video card [Sparkle-NVidia FX 7200GS 256mb]. When I right click on my desktop, I get the NVidia control panel. The question is, under setup multiple display what do I select? Single - use only one display; Clone - the same on both display [this is probably the one, but then I can't set the resolution for the tv to 720X480]; or DualView - configured independetly from each other? Also, what do I have to do to preview on the TV from Pre7? Thank very much!

Raj

• 11. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.

I wouldn't used the nVidia set-up. Just right-click on your desktop and choose Properties (or Personalize in Vista) and use the Windows settings to set up your monitors.

• 12. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.
                                rajsangeet Level 1

Hi Steve,

I did that. Now how do I set preview so it shows up on the TV? Thanks for you patience!

Raj

• 13. Re: Pre7- A Preview question.

At this point, you're, unfortunatley, out of my area of expertise.

If someone doesn't come to your rescue on this forum, I'm sure you can get the answer you need on the Muvipix forum. I know a couple of people over there are running the TV preview set-up. Chuck, in particular, will likely respond quickly and describe his set-up.