8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:03 AM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Export to QT MOV

AntonyM6-sPksqC Level 1

I am using AE CS4 on a PC.

I want to export my project to a PAL Widescreen size QT MOV file (1024x576px).

The project is 25 minutes long.

When I do this using the default settings in Add to Render Queue, the MOV file it creates is approx 1.5 Gb in size.

This seems WAY too big for a 25 minutes clip.

Where am I going wrong?

What settings should I be using in the Render Queue????

• 1. Re: Export to QT MOV
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you going to do with this clip? Codec and compression settings depend on the answer to that question. I'd suggest that you read the Rendering and Exporting section of the help files (Just press F1) and if you're still having problems tell us what you want to do with the video.

• 2. Re: Export to QT MOV
            AntonyM6-sPksqC Level 1

Hi Rick,

I have read the section "QuickTime compression settings" in the help file you linked to. I had already done what it suggests:

- For Format, choose QuickTime Movie

- choose a compressor (I chose H.264)

- I set Key Frame Rate to 24 (project is 24fps)

Maybe I could try reducing the Quality setting (although I don't want it to look bad).

What I need to do is upload the file, so that my composer can download it.

So I was hoping for a file size of around 300Mb.

• 3. Re: Export to QT MOV
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

I don't think rendering H264 in a Quicktime container will work nicely out from AE. In fact, did you notice that AE (at least as of CS4) shows a dialog about this when you choose the H264 codec in the Quicktime format options?

For reliable output with H264 compression, please choose it directly from the Output Module Format menu instead of via Quicktime.

Quicktime player can handle H264 in a MOV container, or in a standard MP4 container - it's exactly the same thing, and you can in fact convert losslessly from one to the other in the QT player itself (video pass-through in the H264 options in the Quicktime player). But again, there's no need. In fact, an H264 file in a MP4 container is compatible with Quicktime, the latest Flash plug-in and others. H264 in a MOV container is conly compatible with Quicktime.

So, instead of choosing Quicktime format with a H264 codec, just pick the H264 format with a preset that matches your delivery needs.

Remember to keep an eye to the comment field in the H264 preset you choose, as it may instruct you to manually stretch the size in the Output Module.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Export to QT MOV
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

There is a big difference in the file size from the QT to MP4.

• 5. Re: Export to QT MOV
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Be sure to answer Rick's question about what you're going to do with this movie.

If you're going to pass it along to an editor in your facility, you want to ensure no quality loss, and a large file is no problem. In such a case, a huge but perfect, losslessy compressed movie is good. From this part of one of your answers, it seems that maybe this is close to what you're trying: "What I need to do is upload the file, so that my composer can download it."

If, on the other had, you're going to put the output directly onto your website, then you want to minimize size, and it doesn't matter so much if the compressor throws out some color differences that are indistinguishable to the human eye.

There is no one correct answer to the question "What are the best settings for output?"  You must first answer the question "What am I doing?"

Near the top of this page is a link to an article by Aharon Rabinowitz that I think that everyone should read.

• 6. Re: Export to QT MOV
                    AntonyM6-sPksqC Level 1

Hi Todd,

When I said "What I need to do is upload the file, so that my composer can download it.", I thought that DID answer Rick's question.

To be more specific, it doesn't have to be lossless (as it would be for an editor), but it has to be good enough so that a composer can get a good feel for the movie from it.

Before CS4 I used CS2 and I didn't seem to have these problems back then (maybe different problems!!! Joke.)

The default settings used to just work for me.

Now there are so many settings which I seem to have to change to get rendering to work.

Just a learning curve, I guess.

But I will now try H.264 direct to .MP4.

• 7. Re: Export to QT MOV
                      AntonyM6-sPksqC Level 1

OK, using MP4 instead of MOV reduced the size from 1.4 Gb to 600 Mb.

But this is still too large.

Please can anyone give specific settings which I should use to produce a file which is nearer 200 Mb in size (or preferably smaller) ?

Requirement: 25 minutes long, 16:9 widescreen, approx 500 pixels high.

I am prepared to accept a hit on the video quality, so long as it is "reasonable" to look at.

Actually, it must be possible to make the file smaller. I have just been looking at an AVI file which is 50 minutes long, standard def and only 350Mb.

So by that yardstick, my 25 minute footage should fit into 175Mb.

• 8. Re: Export to QT MOV
                        Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

When you pick H264 as a format, the Adobe Media Encoder dialog opens up.

Go to the "Video" tab in that dialog, and set the Target birate to a lower setting. About 1 Megabit per second (Mbps) should put you on the ballpark of what you're looking for.