6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 8:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem

mister_riz

Hi all,

Recently at work we've installed Premiere Elements 8 on XP. We had some issues regarding storing work on the network and since have installed Windows 7 on our machines. This has thrown up a new problem in that capturing video has stopped working.

Windows recognizes the camera, yet in the Premiere capture window the camera controls do not work, and also does not receive any video or audio when hitting Play from the camera itself. I have tried 4 different types of cameras from 3 different manufacturers. We cannot really go back to using XP as this will throw up more problems that seemed to be solved with W7. Curiously, what was being displayed in the Premiere Monitor window appeared on the LCD display on the cameras.

I'm an reasonably experienced Premiere user and this is nothing to do with faulty firewire leads, cameras etc and we have the latest Windows 7 codec pack installed.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
          mister_riz Level 1

Some more info:

Using a PAL DV camera, system spec:

Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz

4GB RAM

nvidia geforce 9400GT

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's more likely a driver than a codec -- but  then again, it's a bit hard to have 100% support for an operating system that hasn't been released yet.

Although advanced word from W7 RC users is that the program works great on it.

Is your camcorder connected by FireWire? Are you able to capture and control the camcorder with Windows MovieMaker?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
              mister_riz Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly we're running a full release copy of Windows 7 not the RC version.

There are a couple of very strange things happening. Firstly, after installing shark007s win7 codec pack and removing the driver windows assigned and letting it install it again, capturing seems to be working again.

Now another problem has come up we had before (including when we installed it on XP). When playing back video in the timeline, the first frame freezes on the monitor window and you basically get no real time playback. The video is clearly there as it appears in the monitor when scrubbing, but only when scrubbing. This problem seemed to just disappear without us figuring out how to fix it and has cropped up again.

Sorry to be so vague but all our problems with this program seem to appear and disappear almost at random.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry. Once you start adding codec packs, things get a bit out of my league. DV is a standard codec available on all Windows and Macs. And, assuming your Quicktime is up to date and Windows 7 compatible, you shouldn't need to add anything to Windows to capture and edit it.

I'm afraid I can't help you at this point. Maybe someone else can -- but it might be worth contact Adobe Tech Support for this very unusual problem.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
                  from_rumjhum

Hi,

Can you please check if you have a audio and a video driver correctly installed on your system? The problem you are stating occurs, in case the audio or video driver is not installed on the system.

Also, please try the following steps:

1. Get media> DV camcorder

2. Right click on the monitor screen of the Capture window and go to Capture Settings.

3. Click on the Settings button in the window that opens up.

4. Uncheck the boxes for "Preview audio on desktop" and the "Preview audio while playing"

5. Save the settings and then capture again.

Please let me know if it works for you.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8, Windows 7 - Capture Problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    after installing shark007s win7 codec pack and removing the driver windows assigned and letting it install it again, capturing seems to be working again.

Can you tell us more about this CODEC pack. Does it also include FFDShow? The reason that I ask is that FFDShow has caused many problems with PrPro installations, mostly with display issues, similar to what you are experiencing.

Also, though Adobe hides its CODEC's pretty well, some CODEC packs can create problems. With other programs' CODEC's, overwriting/replacing is often a big issue, but because of a naming convention, Adobe's are usually untouched. Unfortunately, their priority can be superceeded by some others, and this can cause issues. The Adobe CODEC's are still safe, but Registry entries get changed, so situations can come up, where the Adobe MainConcept MPEG CODEC might get reassigned to be the #3 choice, instead of the #1. In many cases, a Repair Install of the Adobe product can reset the priority, or clean up any other changed Registry entries.

Things used to be easier, but about XP, as MS included most of their common CODEC's with the installation. They stopped this with certain iterations of Vista, but did offer their own CODEC pack. Not sure what the deal will be with Win7. With the exception of that Vista CODEC pack, I always recommended against installing any CODEC packs, because most contain enough "garbage" to bog down a system, and many would automatically overwrite any CODEC that was common to their group, but already properly installed with their version - often a hacked, or reverse-engineered version of a commercial CODEC already on the system and functioning.

Personally, I only install just the CODEC that I need and try to go to the source, even if I am paying for it, and there is some sort of a free one available. Peace of mind, and 100% compliance is more important to me, than saving a few $'s. Still, many use all sorts of CODEC packs and have no issues at all. I've just worked on too many cases, where they messed things up so badly that a complete wipe of the C:\ and total reinstall of the OS and programs was the only cure.

Good luck, and I hope that the issues are something very simple, and easily resolved.

Hunt