4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 5:09 PM by the_wine_snob

Prem El 7: Previewing individual video tracks

mikecatman88

Hi All,

I am new to Prem Elements 7 and have been spending a lot of time on my first project.

Some simple things are holding me up and I can't resolve with the Help centre.

I have 3 video tracks stacked in the timeline.

A key problem is how to select and preview in the monitor panel each video track.

As default, the monitor will only preview the top video track in the stack. So for me, it will preview track 3.

But I want to be able to switch between video tracks and view the content of each track in the preview monitor to help with editing decisions.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Prem El 7: Previewing individual video tracks
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, your video tracks are like a stack, Mike. In your Monitor, you're only going to be able to see the track that's on top.

However, if you'd like to see each of the clips buried under it, you can watch them in the Clip Monitor. To open it, just double-click on a clip.

Meantime, if you're looking for help getting started with the program, http://Muvipix.com is a great source for tutorials and tips -- as well as being home to the friendliest, most helpful community forum you'll find anywhere.

I've also written books both on Premiere Elements 7 and on the Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements 7 combo. They're available on Amazon.com and on the Muvipix.com products page.

• 2. Re: Prem El 7: Previewing individual video tracks
            mikecatman88 Level 1

That's great Steve.

Thanks so much. I'll also head over to muvipix.com to check out what's available.

Best wishes,

Mike

• 3. Re: Prem El 7: Previewing individual video tracks
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

You can do as SG suggests in that you double click the video clip on Video Track 1, 2, or 3 to bring up its Preview Window.

But, consider the following when and if applicable:

a. staggering the clips of Video Track 1, 2, 3 (train arrangement) and then clicking above the Timeline to move/direct the Timeline Indicator to the video clip location to view that clip in the Edit Mode Monitor.

b. if you wanted a before/after, doing a split screen effect where you drag the Crop video effect (Effects/Video Effects/Transform/Crop) into the clips and use the Edit Efffect to crop the clips to display side by side in the Edit Mode Monitor....if find, more space to do that with 16:9 project.

As has been stated, if there are no transparencies in the clip in Video Track 3 and you are not adjusting Opacity, all that you are going to see is what is on Video Track 3 in the Edit Mode Monitor.

ATR

• 4. Re: Prem El 7: Previewing individual video tracks
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

What is your purpose in stacking the Video Clips atop each other - what do you want the final image to be?

As ATR ponts out, there are many ways to use multiple Video Tracks, and your exact usage will dictate how you handle this.

In PrPro, one can turn off visibility of Video Tracks, but in the end, things will still be the same - the end use will dictate how one handles these stacked Video Clips. By turning ON/OFF the visibility, it's the same as eliminating that/those Clip(s), except that they do still remain on the Timeline.

Good luck, and please let us know what you want to end up with,

Hunt