11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 9:47 AM by Stan Jones

export always go to 4x3

Scott McGregor

I have HDV footage, my project settings are for that type of footage. It all looks right in editing but no matter how I export, either export movie or built in encoder, I get a squished 4x3 image. I have tried literally every setting there is.

If I do a straight 16 x 9 export, then take that file to sorenson squeeze I can get it back to widescreen proportions but I can't export a full res movie in the orginal format without it getting disorted to 4x3.

. What is going on here?

• 1. Re: export always go to 4x3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Where did you see 4 x 3 results? On a settop box from a burned DVD? Using a player? Did you set the player to the correct widescreen display?

• 2. Re: export always go to 4x3
            Scott McGregor Level 1

I open the exported .mov in the quicktime player on my computer. If I bring that exported movie into Encore and make a DVD it looks fine. If I bring it into Sorenson Squeeze to make an flv, I choose 16x9 and that seems to fix the problem. The problem comes when I take that exported movie and upload to vimeo, which is how many of my projects are being used right now. It seems that Sorenson, or Encore are fixing the problem but vimeo is just taking what I give it. It I see a squished 4x3 in the exported .mov played right in the computer, that's probably how it actually is. (I think)

To add another wrinkle, I get a thin black border on the sides, as if it's not the full width but only 98%.

Something I'm not clear on. In choosing export settings, I select NTSC widescreen 16x9 but the numbers still say 720 x 480. Shouldn't they change proportionally?

Thanks for the help by the way, this is a real problem with my client right now that I HAVE to solve.

• 3. Re: export always go to 4x3
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Unless you are on a MAC, leave QuiRckTime out of the equation altogether. For Vimeo I have had pretty good results with exporting as WMV (1280 x 720 with square pixels).

Since you are using HDV NTSC material in 16 x 9 format, you have 1440 x 1080 dimensions. The PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is adjusted accordingly. For NTSC SD I would export 854 x 480 square pixels with WMV for Vimeo or 1280 x 720 for HD Vimeo.

• 4. Re: export always go to 4x3
                Scott McGregor Level 1

I am on a mac. why does quicktime complicate the problem?

I amstarting with HDV 1080i I believe. Footage from a Sony HDR FX-1.

• 5. Re: export always go to 4x3
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I get a squished 4x3 image.

This is normal.  The image simply has to be unsquished.  DVD and Blu-ray players do this routinely.  Most software players, Quicktime included, have to be manually told to unsquish the image.

• 6. Re: export always go to 4x3
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    why does quicktime complicate the problem?

That is a question better asked Apple, but they always mess up with the PC version. PC users are better off not installing it in the first place.

Being on a MAC, that leaves out the WMV option?

• 7. Re: export always go to 4x3
                      Scott McGregor Level 1

OK, that is interesting. But when I have the exported file, and it's distorted from it's original shape, I need to go through an interim step before uploading to vimeo? (As I mentioned,that is where these files will end up)   It seems like it could export and maintain its original aspect ratio.

Thanks,

scott

• 8. Re: export always go to 4x3
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        It seems like it could export and maintain its original aspect ratio.

It does, once it's unsquished.  In the KM Player I use under Windows, it's as simple as a keyboard shortcut.

There's nothing wrong with the actual file, only the way it's being displayed by the software player.

• 9. Re: export always go to 4x3
                          Scott McGregor Level 1

OK. I appreciate the help. There has got to be a simple way to export a project from the timeline, and upload that file and have it look right in vimeo. There absolutlely has to be a simple answer to this. If my quicktime player is distorting a good file, then when uploaded that variable of the quicktime player squeezing my file into a 4x3 shouldn't be a factor. But what I see in the quicktime player is what I see on vimeo.

• 10. Re: export always go to 4x3
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

You'd have to get in touch with Vimeo and find out from them what formats/specifications they require and work best.

• 11. Re: export always go to 4x3
                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In choosing export settings, I select NTSC widescreen 16x9 but the numbers still say 720 x 480. Shouldn't they change proportionally?

See Harm's later post; if you are going HD, you should not be exporting to 720x480.

I don't think the .mov will matter.  Go here for vimeo info.

http://www.vimeo.com/help/faq#hd_encoding_settings

I am also PC, and use wmv, but I don't do HD yet.