I tried creating a new RoboHelp 8 Project and assigned map numbers to different topics, then generated the webhelp output. I used the CSH Test application (go to view pods->Toolbox and there is CSH Test application), navigated to the generated output HTML file folder and used the mapnumber to launch the CSH help. CSH help works fine as expected.
Did you try using CSH Test application on your generated output and verified if the CSH works fine or not for you? What is the API you are using to show the Help output from your product.
Hi Praful and thank you for your help !
... but the issue still here :-/
I used the CSH Test as you describe and the issue still the same : when i call a topic with its mapnumber the help launch correctly. But if i don't close the help window and i call an other topic i have a blank page...
Then i used this CSH test with a RoboHelp 7 project and the call worked perfectly even if i call several topics.
I only know that this issue appears only with IE and with RH8 projects. I tested this bug on different computers and on different RH8 webhelps : it's always the same.
But there is no problem with FF or with RH7 projects.
Do you have another idea ?
Thanks for advance ...
Can you please post a the webhelp output of RH8 project(sample project) where you are facing the issue.
Also the HTML file, from where you are launching the help file. This might help in investigating the problem.
Anybody else, also facing this issue with CSH API call.
I suspect this might only be an issue when the help is called from an application. If so, our developers had to change the code in their calls but they are URL based rather than Map ID.
Also ping me via my site as there is something else that might be relevant.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
I'm not sure that i understood exactly what you ask but i'll describe with more precisions my situation.
The webhelp is called from HTML pages. In each page i put :
2/ the link to call the webhelp. Exemple for topic ID=1 :
If you want to test, i attach to this message a zip file which contains the test files i used on my computer :
- a webhelp (with only 2 topics)
- 2 web pages with call to the webhelp
- the JS file
If you want to reproduce the bug, you can unzip this archive and try to call the webhelp with IE from page 1 : the webhelp will open a new window.
Keep that window opened and call the webhelp from page 2 : you will see that blank page thing ...
thank you again to helping me
webhelp_files.zip 234.4 K
I found the solution ! Thank you two.
A fix is needed and all the solution is described on Peter's website : http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm
At the chapter "Error when opening second context sensitive help topic"
The issue is due to this file : c:\program files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_csh\whchs_home.htm
You have to replace it by the fix file to crrect the bug (look at the Peter's website for the link to the fix).
This thread explain it too (it's linked from the topic on peter's website) : http://forums.adobe.com/message/1046329#1046329