11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2009 11:03 PM by genoism

Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)

genoism Level 1

Is there a way to save your file so that it ALWAYS looks for the relative paths of all its content?

My issue is that when i xfer the prproj file to another computer it asks me to reconnect everything. The other computer has exactly the same folder structure as the one i'm copying from minus a different harddrive name. (I just copied and pasted the whole project from computer to computer).

Its really getting to become a huge hassle....any work around and whatnot would be great....thanks!

• 1. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

On a PC just assign a fixed drive letter, On a MAC, who knows?

• 2. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
            genoism Level 1

well even if i was on the pc it would be messy switching between different users. Having the actual path always as C would be easy but the moment you get a little more complex like xfering to another persons my documents or whatever it'd still mess up.

Then again I'm not 100% sure if premiere uses actual paths on the pc like it does on the mac.

I could open up the prproj file in notepad and make the filepath changes there but thats a hugeeeee hassle....it'd be faster to relink everytime.

• 3. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there a way to save your file so that it ALWAYS looks for the relative paths of all its content?

No.  Absolute paths only.  You will have to relink with every switch.

• 4. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I deal with this often (yesterday in fact). Things get ugly when you try to re-link a project that has media placed in multiple folders within the main project folder. Even worse when there are a hundred cryptically named P2 mxf files.

Try this:

Open the *.prproj file in Notepad and do an "Edit" "Find" for the word: filepath

Keep searching down till you get a drive letter.

This will show the original drive letter the project was last saved with.

To save time, and avoid relinking everything, do one of the following two... your choice:

1.) Do a find and replace in Notepad of a short "phrase" of code containing the original drive letter, in the document. Replace it with the identical phrase containing the currently assigned drive letter.

For Example:

Find: <FilePath>E:\

Replace With: <FilePath>G:\

OR:

2.) After noting the original drive letter in the *.prproj file by doing the "filepath" search in Notepad, simply assign the original drive letter back to the drive in "Computer Management"/"Storage"/Disk Management.

*WARNING: Premiere is unforgiving of even the slightest error in a *.prproj file.

ALWAYS EDIT A COPY OF YOUR PROJECT IN NOTEPAD

• 5. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                  genoism Level 1

yea thats pretty much what I assumed were my options Charles. Its really stupid to be honest. Programs like Maya have been using relative paths for god knows how long and something essential like this has been missing for so long. I think I'll ask for this as a feature in cs5....i mean, its not too much programming work, just switch the code to use relative paths rather then actual ones....sigh

• 6. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I actually think relative paths could cause issues, particularly where an editor has multiple similar projects and the media files all use the same names.  The saving grace is that they're in different top level folders.  You eliminate that top level folder or hard drive designation from the file path, and all hell could break loose.

With an absolute path, there's no chance for Premiere to 'see' the wrong file on it's own.

Better I think to just not keep switching computers.

• 7. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                      genoism Level 1

I don't get what your saying....if you have 2 files named clip1.mov your not going to keep them in the same folder since they are for different projects. If both of them are in the folder called "projects" but in different folders within there called, "animals" and, "planes" how could it possibly conflict? PPR isn't going to look into planes for the animals clip file.....They share the same name yes, but in different folders. Having relative only paths won't mess that up.....

• 8. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

If I have file "D:Project A\Media\Clip_1" and also have "D:\Project B\Media\Clip_1", confusion could arise if the "D:\Project X" is left out.  Both files then show in Premiere simply as "Media/Clip_1", even though they're two different clips.  Now suppose I want to use both of them in Project C, and one get's offlined.  Which is the one?  I've got a 50/50 shot of getting it right, and if I'm wrong I can always link to the other.

But what if Project Z has 25 copies of "Media\Clip_1"?  Then what?

Or let's say a compilation project takes many clips from various folders.  Since "Clip_23" could ostensibly exist in 10 different folders on 3 different drives, how do you later know which folder that clip came from without the full file name, including drive letter?  How could Premiere perform it's Project Manager functions properly without that information?

I just think absolute paths is safer, and offers no opportunity for error.

• 9. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                          genoism Level 1

I don't think you understand how im asking for relative paths.

Relative paths tell premiere to go up one folder regardless of its name then find a folder called Media/Clip_1. This way project B and A don't ever interfere. Its impossible for there to be any confusion.

If you tell premiere to use the clips from another project, aside that being poor file management, premiere will just go up the heirarchy of folders as many times as it first had to, but it'd never check the harddrive or need to know the names of the folders that the main folder is in.

The reason i say poor file management is because when you backup/archive your projects if project a requires files from project b it means u need to backup both projects wasting a ton of space. Sadly there is no collect feature like in after effects otherwise that'd be fine.

• 10. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            it'd never check the harddrive or need to know the names of the folders that the main folder is in.

But the user might.  For whatever reason.

• 11. Re: Actual and relative file paths - CS4(mac)
                              genoism Level 1

it could still record the exact location for the users sake, I don't have any problems with that. But just for the sake of saving u the trouble of relinking everytime it moves, it should try using relative paths if the actual ones don't work.

Oh, and grats on your 10k posts