8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 1:34 AM by Paul787

HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder

Paul787 Level 3

Hi,

I'm testing out a used Canon HV30 that I may buy if it works well but am having a problem with HDV Split. It recognizes the camcorder fine but then says:

ERROR: HDVSPlit can't find MPEG2 video decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow. Preview is disabled.

Should I go ahead an install ffdshow or is there a better way to handle this?

I am using PRE3 and Windows XP.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I believe ffdshow is part of Premiere Elements' installation. It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Beyond that, you shouldn't need to put anything more in your computer, other than the latest version of Quicktime, Windows updates and the latest firmware for your video card. (Though it might not hurt to install any software that came with your camcorder too.)

HDVSplit is one of the most reliable utilities available. Problems with it are almost unheard of.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
            Paul787 Level 3

Thanks Steve. I'll give the uninstall/reinstall a try.

I've got a couple of projects on the go. Will the uninstall/reinstall affect them in any way?

• 3. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Nope. Not at all. They're stored in a different area of your drive.

• 4. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul787

I am assuming that you are working with Premiere Elements 3.0.2 and not Premiere Elements 3.0. Did you install that update?

Also, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer with your Premiere Elements?

And, did you read the HDVSplit download instructions regarding the MPEG-2 Decoder?

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

I would consider following the instructions as per the HDVSplit link.

ATR

• 5. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
                  nealeh Level 5

ERROR: HDVSPlit can't find MPEG2 video decoder. Try to install and configure ffdshow. Preview is disabled.

Should I go ahead an install ffdshow

ffdshow is a GPL (i.e free to use) media decoder and encoder. I don't see it (PrEl7) in available programs to uninstal but, as a GPL licence, it is possible Adobe totally integrated it into PrEL. You could try downloading and installing it from one of the official ffdshow sites.

For info and downloads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm

There is a variant of it called ffdshow-tryout:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I would doubt that FFDShow is part of the PrE installation, and should also not be required for HDVSplit to function properly. With PrPro, FFDShow actually causes many display issues, and few users of PrPro will have it installed for that reason. Still, with the proper installation of HDVSplit and the MainConcept MPEG-2 CODEC's from Premiere's installation, they have no issues at all.

I'd first strongly suggest following the instructions in ATR's link, first, and leaving any installation of FFDShow alone, unless it is a last resort.

I'm not aware of any issues with FFDShow and PrE, but they abound with PrPro, hence I would shy away from its installation - except for that "last resort." Still, if it does come down to that, your links should provide access to FFDShow, and I would recommend going with just it (if necessary) and not going with any CODEC "pack," that will have it as part of the full compliment. With packs, like the K-Lite, FFDShow is a separate uninstall and is often hard to get completely removed. It appears as a separate "module" in the uninstall process in Add/Remove Programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
                      Paul787 Level 3

Thanks for all the info. I'm out of town until Tuesday so I'll report back then what works but I'm sure one of the solutions will do the trick.

• 8. Re: HDV Split requires MPEG2 decoder
                        Paul787 Level 3

Well I never did get HDV Split to work though I didn't spend that much time on it. The fellow didn't want to flex on his price for the HV30 so I decided not to purchase it. And after thinking about it for awhile, I think I'm better off as only one family member has Blu-Ray and the extra hassle isn't worth it for me at this time when I would rather spend some more time just editing video. 

But, as always, thanks for all your assistance in working the issue out. I always know I can find the answers I need on this forum.