2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 11:38 PM by JETalmage

#4D0219 keeps changing itself to #4B161F without me doing anything.

helloeien

Alright, here’s what’s happening on my end.  When I open the file, and eyedropper a certain color, it is #4B161F. I immediately change that color to #4D0219 because that is the hex code the client requires. As soon as I change it, I eyedropper it again to make sure that I changed it. It still reads #4D0219. Perfect. I save the swatch to make sure this doesn’t happen again. I double-check the color of the swatch. Still #4D0219. Awesome. THEN, just to make ABSOLUTELY SURE the color is right, I eyedropper the actual color one more time. Lo and behold it has reverted back to #4B161F. I check my swatch. It is #4B161F. All this within the span of thirty seconds.

Then, I go through to process again: Start with #4B161F, which is wrong. I replace it with the client’s requested color, #4D0219. I check with eyedropper. It’s fine. Eyedropper again to make SUPER-sure.  It’s changed itself back to #4B161F, without me having done ANYTHING except for eyedropper a second time. No lie; no changing, moving, switching tools even. It just goes back to that color upon a second check.

I had somebody else sit down and eyedropper-check everything as well, and even try to fix it. It did the same thing; it reverted back to the original #4B161F almost immediately.

This only happens in CMYK. I had someone else sit down and try to change the hex values to the correct ones in RGB mode, and the values actually stayed.  Here’s another odd thing. The hex value has changed, but the percantages of each color (C, M, Y, and K) are always the same down to a tenth of a percentage. C=37.37, M=96.22, Y=79.76, K=58.83 for both #4B161F and #4D0219.

This happens for each color used in the file (it's a logo design).  Each hex code is just slightly off and always "reverts" itself back to the wrong color when corrected.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. 
        • 1. Re: #4D0219 keeps changing itself to #4B161F without me doing anything.
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

helloeien,

You can only get and keep the correct hex colours in RGB Color Mode. Basically, the hex colours are RGB colours, only with hex names.

The reason is that when you are in CMYK Color Mode, the RGB colours are changed to the closest match (CMYK) in gamut colour as soon as you blink.

You may try stop blinking.

If you are lucky, the changes do not occur/get apparent before you do something else, such as deselecting/reselecting, saving/reopening, etc.

In any case, they are inevitable, just waiting to jump at you as soon as you relax.

Actually, you get corresponding colour changes when you use CMYK colours in RGB Color Mode.

You will have to work in the right Color Mode, or suffer the consequences. This means that you may have to choose between incorrect RGB/hex colours or incorrect CMYK colours. The decision depends on which is worse.

If your artwork is for both print and web/similar use, you may work in CMYK to get that as correct as possible, and then make a special RGB version with corrected RGB colours; in the latter, the changes in CMYK colours are unavoidable in any case

• 2. Re: #4D0219 keeps changing itself to #4B161F without me doing anything.
            JETalmage Level 6

Said another way:

You have three color values in RGB (each expressed as a decimal number, 0 through 255).

You have three color values in Hexidecimal (each expressed as two characters, 00 through FF).

So there is an unambiguous numerical correlation between RGB and Hex.

There are also three color values in CMY (each expresed as a percentage).

So there is an unambiguous numerical correlation between RGB, Hex, and CMY.

But CMY is inadequate. So in print, we throw in K to broaden the capabilities.

But there are four color values in CMYK. How do you convert three values into four?

Answer: In any of a practically infinite number of ways. So there is no single, unambiguous correlation between the three values of RGB or Hex and the four of CMYK.

JET

2 people found this helpful