5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 6:28 PM by outradobe

Installation failed

outradobe

After trying many times to install the Beta 2 version of Catalyst on my last-generation iMac, I come here for help.

The installer keeps asking me to turn off Safari, when it is not open at all. Restarting and retrying to install before opening anything else did not work either.

?????

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Installation failed
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Outradobe,

Did you have beta 1 installed previously?

I know there were some problems when installing beta 2 under this circumstance.

Let me know,

Tara

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Installation failed
            outradobe Level 1

No, Beta 2 was the first version I heard about and the first I tried to install. I saw the notice about uninstalling Beat 1 before installing Beta 2.

Thanks

SP

• 3. Re: Installation failed
              FCInstallDude

Have you had success installing since the 14th? If not, could you please tell us what happened after you restarted and tried reinstalling that is, did the installer still insist that Safari was running or did something else happen? If it still thought Safari was running then there might be some process starting Safari in the background when the machine is rebooted.

If that's not the case could you please attach to your reply the log files here:

/Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/*.gz (the latest one)

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Logs/PDApp.log

Thanks,

Jim

• 4. Re: Installation failed
                outradobe Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for not having followed up on this topic.

I was finally able to install the software without any problem the next day, being the first thing I did when the OS was fully started.

I do not know what caused the problem initially, but I think that someone of my family was logged in as Guest behind my login as administrator and maybe the person had opened Safari... Is that possible? Would'nt changing user turn off all software used by the Guest?

Besides, this would not explain my first unsuccessful retry after a fresh restart when the installer kept insisting that Safari was opened.

But now all is fine, but I do not know why.

I attached both .gz files (the failed one from October 14, and the successful one from October 15) and the PDApp.log file

Thanks,

Serge

• 5. Re: Installation failed
                  outradobe Level 1

Hi,

Sorry for not having followed up on this topic.

I was finally able to install the software without any problem the next day, being the first thing I did when the OS was fully started.

I do not know what caused the problem initially, but I think that someone of my family was logged in as Guest behind my login as administrator and maybe the person had opened Safari... Is that possible? Would'nt changing user turn off all software used by the Guest?

Besides, this would not explain my first unsuccessful retry after a fresh restart when the installer kept insisting that Safari was opened.

But now all is fine, but I do not know why.

Thanks,

Serge