11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 8:20 AM by sholmlund

Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8

sholmlund

Hi, I'm struggling to do simple stuff with PE8.

1. Several crashes in the first two days of extremely light use.

2. No video when I double-click a clip to play it in the preview window; just audio. But video plays when I put that same clip in the timeline.

3. No way that I can discern to save a time-lapse clip. I entered settings to capture one frame every 6 seconds for an hour from my DV camcorder. It appeared to be doing the right thing until I tried to save the clip. The online help says click "X" to close the capture window and then choose either "Yes" or "No" to save the clip. But I never am presented with these choices. It's as if the UI for this portion was not hooked up completely. I eventually found the time-lapse images in a temp folder but they were all over 4 seconds in duration, not single frame images stitched together as a movie clip.

4. I applied the NewBlue Motion Blend "Zoom" transition for one second to the beginning of an imported Illustrator CS3 image that is 3 seconds in duration. It will not preview properly from the timeline. This worked fine in Premiere Elements 4.

I had quite a few problems with PE4 but was at least able to edit. I may fall back to that because I have a deadline to finish a video for. But I'm hoping there's some insight into these issues.

My system:

DV NTSC Panasonic PV-GS150

Sony VGN-N350N notebook

Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86GHz

Windows Vista SP2

2GB of RAM

About 23GB of free disk space

No other programs running!

As far as I can tell, the only failing of my system is that the box says it should be 2GHz. However, I find it hard to believe that this small difference affects basic functioning of the program.

I literally have gotten no further that 2 clips on the time line. I've captured some clips from my DV camcorder and am just trying to do the most basic things.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve Holmlund

• 1. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you are a bit under-powered -- especially for Vista and especially for a laptop and especially if you've haven't optimized your system for video editing, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

You say you're working with DV? Are saying you've captured video from a miniDV camcorder over FireWire? That should be pretty low-resource video.

That said, ensure that you have all of the updates for Windows. Go to Windows Update and make sure you've even got the non-critical updates. Also ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime.

Then try launching Premiere Elements while holding down the Shift key and see if that makes any difference in your performance.

If not, you may need to contact Adobe Tech Support.

• 2. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
            sholmlund Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1. Yes, my OS is up to date. I've got all the latest Microsoft auto update stuff functioning and monitor it religiously.

2. I've been able to capture miniDV footage successfully (with the exception of Time Lapse). FireWire, iLink, 1394, whatever you want to call it.

3. I've got the latest QuickTime though my understanding was that on Windows I am in an AVI paradigm using the Microsoft AVI DV codec.

4. This same system had a few problems with PE4 but had no trouble rendering, playing back and outputting a basic business video (cuts, transitions, titles, sound track).

5. As you know, DV is 3.6MB/sec which today should be pretty modest. I worked on FireWire stuff in the late 90s when it first came out and even then internal hard disks could handle that data rate.

I will review the FAQ to see if there's something to be done there. Thanks for that suggestion. With respect to QuickTime, am I able to work with .mov files on Windows and use the Apple DV codec? Maybe QuickTime is required for other reasons?

Best regards,

Steve

• 3. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Quicktime isn't just necessary for working with MOV files. It's necessary for working with any kind of DV on a PC or a Mac. So keeping it up to date is very important.

But yours doesn't sound like that problem.

Try launching the program while holding down the Shift key. This cleans up the registry somewhat, and it made a big difference in my computer's performance.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how much more we can do for you on this forum. It may be necessary to contact Adobe Tech Support.

• 4. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                -Subbi Adobe Employee

Regarding timelapse ... you said >>

3. No way that I can discern to save a time-lapse clip. I entered settings to capture one frame every 6 seconds for an hour from my DV camcorder. It appeared to be doing the right thing until I tried to save the clip.

The online help says click "X" to close the capture window and then choose either "Yes" or "No" to save the clip.
                But I never am presented with these choices. It's as if the UI for this portion was not hooked up completely. I eventually found the time-lapse images in a temp folder but they were all over 4 seconds in duration, not single frame images stitched together as a movie clip.

>> Looks like the Online help is not correct here, they have removed this feature and now all the export/save/share related features are moved to the "Sharing Center". In this case you can just click "X" to close the capture window and then export the StopMotion captured movie via the sharing center by entering the desired specifications.

Regarding NewBlue ... you said >>

4. I applied the NewBlue Motion Blend "Zoom" transition for one second to the beginning of an imported Illustrator CS3 image that is 3 seconds in duration. It will not preview properly from the timeline. This worked fine in Premiere Elements 4.

>> With illustrator CS3 image, you mean that its an AI file (I guess), the best bet here would be to save/resize this image into a more 'easy to edit' format and size ie. Jpeg or BMP (and of close the project resolution)

-EM

• 5. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                  Rodrigues Regan

I would agree with Steve, your machine is a little feeble for working with Premiere Elements 8.

Also i would like to add here that its always better to have a clean machine when it come to editing.

Images would get imported in Premiere Elements after you capture the smart motion. 4 seconds is the default duration of these images and hence you see it so on timeline. The help looks buggy and my suggestion would be to export these set of images which come on timeline and then re-import it.

For the effect you may try stretching the duration of the illustrator file and try again. It should work fine.

4 main things while editing:

- get a stronger machine

- get a cleaner machine

- make sure while you are editing, no other applications are running in parallel.

- Premiere Elements8.0 exe will always appreciate a little patience

Thanks!!

• 6. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                    Ron97

Steve,

Just to address one of your issues that I've run into - the time lapse (Smooth Interval Recording on my Sony MiniDV Cam) recording. Here's what I've discovered to successfully capture the video - you MUST have "Scene Detect", as it was called in earlier versions or "Split Scenes" as it's called in V8, turned OFF. If not, the program senses each frame as a scene and it will overwhelm things in a second.

Good luck,

Ron

• 8. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                      sholmlund Level 1

All,

Thanks very much for your replies/suggestions, several days after the original post even. I appreciate it.

I will concede my machine is slightly underpowered according to the box's stated requirements; but not my much. My only deficiency is 1.86GHz and not 2.0GHz on the processor.

Moreover, as I stated, Premiere Elements 4 does the same basic functions without issue:

• It does not have a problem playing the rendered effect applied to the Illustrator CS3 AI file I imported.
                      • It does show video when I play a clip in the preview window. Again, with PE8, I can see video in the monitor window when I place a clip in the timeline but not when I just play it in the preview window.
                      • I was able to successfully complete my timelapse in PE4 (it turned out great - 40 minutes down to 10 seconds) using the old-style UI to compile and save the frames. Thanks, Ron, for pointing out the "new way". I don't have PE8 up at the moment but presumably the docs are online and can be updated by Adobe. (I understand what Ron is saying about the scene detection but did not run into the problem because I had a camera on a tripod recording a lab-type experiment.)

I have to finish my humble production in PE4 but hope to get back to this Forum when I sort out what is wrong (or very possibly what I am doing wrong) with PE8. I realize the "plumbing" may have changed or some default settings are different that might explain the PE4 v. PE8 differences above. I also acknowledge that for ongoing happy use, a more robust configuration is probably required.

Thanks again.

Steve

• 9. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                        sholmlund Level 1

Whoops, thanks EditMachine for the timelapse UI info.

S.

• 10. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

>> With illustrator CS3 image, you mean that its an AI file (I guess), the best bet here would be to save/resize this image into a more 'easy to edit' format and size ie. Jpeg or BMP (and of close the project resolution)

Though both flavors of Premiere will Import AI files, I find that their ability to do a good Rasterization is limited in quality and also workability. I take all AI illustrations into Photoshop for the Rasterization step and Save_As .PSD, which works so very much better. The only limitation is that Photoshop will not bring in a Layered AI and preserve its Layers as PS Layers, but that is a limitation between PS and AI. Maybe PS-Extended and AI-Extended have plugged this hole?

Here's an entry in the PrPro-Wiki on working with AI files in an NLE (Non Linear Editor).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Initial problems with Premiere Elements 8
                            sholmlund Level 1

Hunt,

Ok, thanks. I'll do that. Haven't really examined the output quality of the AI file so appreciate your insight.

Steve