1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 187 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 6:15 PM by matchpik Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
        Orbidia

There's a new Nvidia 580gtx graphics card with displayport output available on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261095&cm_re=gtx_580-_-14-261-095 -_-Product

This is the only gtx 580 with displayport in the USA. Gainward has one available in Europe:

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=452

There are also finally GTX 570 cards with displayport as well.

All of these should allow good Cuda acceleration in Adobe Premiere and also (eventually) allow for 10bit color support for Photoshop.

Soon, the NEC PA301w 30" monitor with 10bit color support will be available.

It would be really great if the Nvidia driver supports 10bit color from the Geforce display driver. I'm sure this may take some time to work out for the lowly geforce but at least theoretically - the hardware support is finally there. Photoshop supports 10bit, the monitor supports 10bit, Displayport allows 10bit color, but the Nvidia driver is now the only limiation!

Please Adobe, look into this combination and ask Nvidia to release working Geforce drivers for the GTX 580 and 10bit Photoshop support.

Thanks.

• 81. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
          emaini Level 1

@Orbidia,

Would you happen to know if the Quadro 2000 supports 10bit color?  Given that it is less expensive than the GTX 580 and also has dual DisplayPorts.

The NVidia site is lacking and the forums do not help

This document

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/NV_DS_QUADRO_2000_US_LR.pdf

Says it does, but with NVidia what the PDF says and what the driver does seems to be two different things.

I was planning on getting the Quadro and the PA241W

• 82. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
            Orbidia Level 1
            emaini,
            I only really know what is in this thread. I did see this document which I only briefly looked at but may have some info:
            Nvidia calls it 30bit color because it is 10bits per color so 10bit Red + 10bit Green + 10bit Blue = 30bit RBG
            -
                   The quadro cards have a better chance of working than the Geforce cards because the extra money for the cards specifically goes into professional level drivers. But I haven't actually seen anyone say they've gotten 10 bit support in photoshop with any nvidia card yet (I assume 10 bit must work properly with Maya or something since that's the primary purpose of the Quadro cards)... It is supposed to work in photoshop according to Chris Cox but PJA Media in the discussion above has reported it doesn't work with his Quadro as of Nov 10, 2010. Maybe newer Nvidia drivers work?
            -
                   If you want to gamble and get the Quadro 2000 and the NEC, please write back here with your success or failure so others will know. I wouldn't expect anything to work until someone has done the gamble and then tested and confirmed it or Adobe or Nvidia publishes a list of supported cards/monitors. I'm hopeful that eventually Nvidia will release drivers which allow all their cards with displayport work with 10bit color in photoshop... It's certainly very good that Adobe has done their part of the job and there's only one more small piece of this puzzle. I should probably be writing all of this on Nvidia forums and not Adobe forums but typing "10bit photoshop" into google results in this thread at the top so that's where I posted. C'mon Nvidia - finish the drivers!
            -
                  When I get a 10bit monitor I will report back if there is 10 bit support from the Palit GTX 580 with displayport I just recieved in the mail. It sure would be nice!
            • 83. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
              PJA Media Level 1

Nice to know that the ATI FirePro card is working well, and this is even the case for the cheaper V4800 - I may just take this route now that I returned my nVidia Quadro FX580. Thanks for the info. This is a very informative thread.

Paul A

• 84. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                Orbidia Level 1

Well, I don't have the 10bit monitor. But I can tell that the Geforce drivers don't support 10bit yet.

I went to the Nvidia Control Panel and according to the Nvidia Geforce driver manual, there should be a "Deep Color" option under:

3D Settings - Manage 3D Settings

Either the Global Settings or Propram Settings Tab should show "Deep Color" option directly under the "CUDA - GPUs" option

But its not there even with the 580gtx card installed and the latest beta 266.35 driver. I suppose MAYBE if I plug in a deep color TV through HDMI or a true 10bit panel through displayport, the option could suddenly appear... But I seriously doubt it.

Luckily I mostly bought this card for CUDA support in Premiere.

Hopefully, this Photoshop 10bit issue gets resolved eventually since Nvidia manual claims it should work in the manual!

• 85. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                  emaini Level 1

Hopefully you will be able to see the image, I am told, the drivers for the Quadros have the following.  Under Manage 3D Settings, you should have a Force 10 bits per component.  That preset must be selected.  This is from PNY tech support.  I have purchased a Quadro 2000 which I found cheaper than most GTX cards.  It was temporary out of stock, but once it comes in, I will see what happens.  Otherwise, I am going to switch to the FirePro cards and be done with it.  it seems in all cases, it is not exactly perfect so I am not sure that 10bit is exactly cooked yet.  I believe in regards to 10bit, if you go that path, you are an early adopter and you have to decide if it is worth the trouble.  In the meantime, I love my PA241W

10bitnvidiaquadro.png

• 86. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                    VMesec5r_

I'm here to furthur muddy the waters!

I have been looking into using a 10bbp workflow.  After reading this thread I emailed nVidia and Palit about the gtx470, and its potential for using 'deep color'.

Here are the responses I got, both from Palit:

Dear customer
                    Sorry for the late reply.
                    From Nvidia's confirmation GTX 470  supports 10bit  per channel.
                    But not all the output ports on GTX 470  supports  this function.
                    As I know the displayport on GTX 470  doesn't  support this function.
                    As for other ports we're still waiting  for Nvidia's  update.
                    And I'll keep you posted once Nvidia  gives  update.
                    Thanks.

Followed by:

Dear customer
                    Nvidia has provided final answer for  your  question.
                    GTX 470 supports 10bit per channel by  displayport  and HDMI port.
                    Please be notified thanks.
                    No info on how to actually use it, of course.

So, for now I'm not bothering.  This is a rare case where I'd be an early adapter, but it seems nobody has their heads on straight about how this should actually work.  So screw it.  I'll be back in a year or two.

Good luck to you all,
                    -V
                    • 87. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                      NEC271

Hello !. I work with Photoshop CS5 x64, Windows 7 x64, ATI FirePro V3800, Nec monitor PA271W (Display Port).

I didn't have any problem about 10 bit support in the past. Now (I just installed Service Pack 1 and update to ACR 6.4) I can't see more 10 bit when I open 10 bit test ramp image in CS5. ATI driver is the last. Settings in CS5 about Open GL are correct.

When I restart Windows after enable 10 bit in ATI Panel, I can see 10 bit activated because Windows bar is not more trasparent but coloured. I open CS5 and 10 bit test ramp image but I see image in 8 bit. Why I can't more view correctly 10 bit test ramp image in CS5?

• 88. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                        Noel Carboni Level 8

ATI's latest drivers (Catalyst 11.3 and 11.4) don't allow Photoshop to use OpenGL operations in Normal and Advanced modes.  ATI knows about it, but they're taking their time to fix it.  Revert to Catalyst 11.2 to regain this functionality, which will involve uninstalling ATI Catalyst entirely first, then installing 11.2.

-Noel

• 89. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                          NEC271 Level 1

I reinstalled old driver but same problem, I see in 8 bit mode in CS 5

• 90. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you reboot after the install of 11.2?  It doesn't make you do so, but it's a good idea.

-Noel

• 91. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                              NEC271 Level 1

Which driver do you mean to reinstall?

The last is 8.773.1.1

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/fire_win7-64.aspx

Previous are these:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/previous/Pages/fire_win7-64.aspx

I reinstalled 8.773

• 92. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

I re-read your original post, and initially I neglected to notice that you have an ATI Fire card, not a Radeon.  So what I said about the latest driver possibly not working with Photoshop might not be pertinent.

Are you seeing OpenGL operation in Photoshop?

-Noel

• 93. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                  NEC271 Level 1

Yes OpenGL enabled. Advanced Settings and then Advanced Mode. Everything before driver ATI update. I reinstalled 8.773, i.e previous driver with 10 bit worked for me, but nothing now.

• 94. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                    bibo12 Level 1

hi!........

the problem is not with ATI drivers,  instead its with PS update to 12.02, 12.03 and so on....

roll back to PS 12.0 and it will work fine..........

• 95. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                      NEC271 Level 1

Really??? And does Adobe know this issue? So it's better to wait next PS update.. How can I roll back to 12.0 version?

• 96. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                        bibo12 Level 1

hi..

yes, I have the same problem as U do, roll back to 12.0 and all works just as before....

just uninstall PS and install again and dont update to new version... (12.01, 12.02 and so on)

(I mada a win backup with ps 12.0 instaled on so I just roll back)

• 97. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                          Level 7

ATI has already said that the problem is in their driver and that they are working on a fix.

• 98. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                            NEC271 Level 1

I tried to roll back to previous ATI driver but I can't see 10 bit as I did in the past with same ATI driver (8.773). Now it is 8.773.1.1

• 99. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                              Level 7

The current ATI drivers are versions 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 (the last 2 have bugs).

Please download the 11.2 drivers from the ATI/AMD website.

• 100. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                NEC271 Level 1

I have Ati FirePro V3800 not Radeon series. ATI 11.2 is not for FirePro Series.

• 101. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                  NEC271 Level 1

I just updated to CS5 12.0.4. But I still have banding with 10 bit test ramp.

• 102. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                    Level 7

That's because Photoshop already supports 10 bit/channel displays.

Updating Photoshop won't help, you have to update your display, your video card, or your video card driver.

• 103. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                      NEC271 Level 1

I have everything updated. Nec PA271W has 10 bit panel. Video card is ATI FirePro V3800, and it supports 10 bit with its driver. Ati driver is the last version 8.773.1.1000. So the issue is an update (ATI or CS5) since I saw 10 bit test ramp without banding. I rolled back to previous driver ATI, but the bunding still is visible. So the issue is a CS5 update after 12.0

• 104. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                        Chris_BC_1 Level 1

I can confirm that 10 bit color works fine in PS 12.0.4, just like it did in 12.0.3, so "NEC271" the problem is on your end.  I have an ATI FirePro V4800 with the driver info below:

ATI Driver.JPG

Note that if any 'element' of the taskbar (pop up, jump list, whatever) appears over the Photoshop window, the banding will appear until that element is no longer over the PS window.  Also, if you hold down the left mouse button in certain areas within PS (the top bar of any of Photoshop's child windows {e.g. the Navigator window} qualify) the banding will appear.  I assume it is possible for other scenarios to also break the 10 bit color pipeline.

Since you said you had 10 bit working before, I assume you already have this set:

ATI Driver 10 bit.JPG

I have Win 7 64 bit, in the event that makes any difference.

• 105. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                          NEC271 Level 1

I don't know what else to check. I just updated ATI driver to 8.773.1.2 version, but I also rolled back to previous 8.773. and 8.773.1. and 8.773.1.1. CS5 version is 12.0.4. Windows 7 x64 is daily updated. I'm sure that no element of taskbar appears over the PS windows.  What else should I check? I know a few people in the same situation.

• 106. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                            Level 7

Are you using the display port connection? (because DVI and VGA aren't going to do 10 bits)

Beyond that, you need to check with ATI and the display manufacturer - for some reason the driver thinks that you can't support 10 bit/channel, and Photoshop relies on the information it gets from the driver.

• 107. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                              NEC271 Level 1

Yes I use Display Port

• 108. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

NEC271 wrote:

Hello !. I work with Photoshop CS5 x64, Windows 7 x64, ATI FirePro V3800, Nec monitor PA271W (Display Port).

I didn't have any problem about 10 bit support in the past. Now (I just installed Service Pack 1 and update to ACR 6.4) I can't see more 10 bit when I open 10 bit test ramp image in CS5. ATI driver is the last. Settings in CS5 about Open GL are correct.

When I restart Windows after enable 10 bit in ATI Panel, I can see 10 bit activated because Windows bar is not more trasparent but coloured. I open CS5 and 10 bit test ramp image but I see image in 8 bit. Why I can't more view correctly 10 bit test ramp image in CS5?

I just wanted to repeat this here on the second page of the thread, since (partly because of my miscue) the original conditions of your problem may not be well known by the respondents.

Just to be clear, with Photoshop 12.0.3, before installing Windows 7 service pack 1 you were seeing 10 bit operation, right?  Was the transition from 10 bit working to not working exactly at that point?

You've been trying various driver versions...  Are you doing a complete uninstall / reboot before installing a new copy of the driver?

-Noel

• 109. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                  NEC271 Level 1

I bought Nec PA271W and ATI FirePro V3800 in October 2010. ATI driver was 8.773 and CS5 was 12.0 or 12.0.1 I think.

I installed monitor and Ati card for the first time and i could see 10 bit color. I use 10 bit operation for about  a month without any problem. Then I didn't use it. So a few weeks ago I liked to use 10 bit again. In the meantime ATI driver was 8.773.1.1, CS5 was 12.0.2 or 12.0.3 and Windows 7 x64 was SP1. I opened CS5 and it appears banding.

Yes, when I tried ATI old drivers, I complete unistall previous by Control Panel.

• 110. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                    Blendax74

Hi,

I have almost the same setup like you (ATI FirePro V5800, Current AMD/ATI driver, NEC PA241W, Connected via DisplayPort)

I also use the latest patches for: ATI driver, Windows 7 (64 Bit) and Adobe PS5 (12.0.4) at my office

--> and my "ramp.psd" - as well as all other 16 Bit Images is rendered smoothly (you can well differ between the 2 setting 8 Bit and 10 Bit).

So in general the setup should still work fine - I personally deactivated the process before, that stops Win7 from using the Aero-Profile

--> that indeed stopped the 10 Bit feature from working ...(?)

Still some annoyances here ...

Best regards

Roland

• 111. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                      NEC271 Level 1

I already did all you just said. But for me it doesn't work now.

• 112. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                        Hudechrome Level 2

Chris Cox wrote:

For the same reason you don't sprinkle salt on broken glass and call it a window.

LOL!

Apropos, Chris.  Have to file that away in my pithy answers file!

• 113. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                          Blendax74 Level 1

Hi again,

here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/fire/Pages/fire_win7-64.aspx#2

you can download the latest (non WHQL certified) driver from AMD/ATI ... (this - latest - driver is version 8.83.5.4)

... maybe you can correct the issue that way - has to be something with you specific machine!

There are some people out there using the configuration you mention with successful 10 Bit color rendition.

... maybe you have some "driver mix" or anything like that ... and the "newer" version could clean it up(?)

Maybe it's worth a try - can't imagine many other errors (for you said, you already got that to work earlier).

CU

Roland

Message was edited by: Blendax74  P.S. ... I just DID that update to version 8.83.5.4 ... and 10 Bit still works (but the Aero-block etc. ist still as annoying as it always has been...)

Message was edited by: Blendax74 P.P.S.: This driver version was released on 05/24/2011 ... so this should definitely be the latest one available to the public ...

• 114. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                            NEC271 Level 1

Hi Blendax. I just tried with 8.83.5.4. No 10 bit wiew

• 115. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                              ITAVittorio Level 1

I'd like to know if there are any news about nVidia and 10bit monitor support. I can't find anything: is there any nVidia VGA that can work in 10bit color mode? Thanks.

• 116. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                                Level 7

VGA?  Um, did you get your video ports confused?

DisplayPort is the current choice for > 8 bit/channel output.

• 117. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                                  ITAVittorio Level 1

Thanks for the answer Chris.

For VGA I meant graphic card in general, I am sorry, this is how we call them here where I work .

My question is: is there any nVidia graphic card that I can use with PhotoShop CS5 (Windows 7, DisplayPort) that will work in 10bit mode?
                                                                                  At the moment the only machine that I use that runs 10bit has a V4800 (ATI) graphic card.

• 118. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                                    ITAVittorio Level 1

Any news?

• 119. Re: Photoshop 10bit support
                                                                                      bibo12 Level 1

aa no .... no news for a long time...

my expirience till now is.... sometimes work and sometimes not....

PS required multiple restarts  to get accurate results ...dont know the reason.....

but system can because if I launch Nec 10 bit aplication it works...

download here... http://www.necdisplay.com/faq/additional-topics/color-critical-displays/14

and click on 3. row (how can I check......... )

so I think something is in PS......

cheers..........