27 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 11:54 AM by shab_kav

message error

shab_kav

When i try to import file to project i get the message: "unsupported audio rate in file". What i have to do with this message?

• 1. Re: message error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, but it is impossible to help you without knowing your operating system, the version of the program you're using and what type camcorder this video came from and how it got into your computer.

Can you please provide more details?

• 2. Re: message error
            shab_kav Level 1

Thank you Steve,

My operation system is windows xp.

The program version is adobe element 1.

The files i want to import are MPEG files. I can watch those files with al media players.

My camcorder is SONY DCR-DVD405, and i got it to computer with the software sony supplied me.

Thanks

Shabtai

• 3. Re: message error

You've got a number of issues going on here, Shabtai. One of which is that you're using a 6  year old version of the software, which did not support MPEGs very well.

I also do not recommend that you capture with one program and edit with another -- particularly when you are dealing with a DVD camcorder.

Support for DVD camcorders was added to the program in version 2.

Finally, how much free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive and how much RAM do you have? I suspect, if your computer is as old as your software, you may not have the hardware to support this type work.

However, if we knew more about your situation, we may be able to recommend conversion software that can change that DVD software into something even version 1 can edit. (Assuming you've got the hardware resources.)

• 4. Re: message error
                shab_kav Level 1

Dear steve,

I edited a lot of movies with this software (premier 1) from files that was taken with this camcorder.

I have 400 G space and 2 G RAM.

This error appeared a month ago and i don't know what caused this error.

When i am going in to old project, which i inverted him to a movie, i can't see the elements of the project and i can't play it through the adobe premier.

Thanks Shabtai

• 5. Re: message error
                  shab_kav Level 1

Can i upgrade to higher version?

• 6. Re: message error

I'm sure you can.

But it's hard to say, without knowing more about your system or details about your video files, if it will resolve your issues.

• 7. Re: message error
                      shab_kav Level 1

please read my 4th response

• 8. Re: message error

You're right, Shab. I didn't see it.

I'm still not sure upgrading with necesarily resolve your issue. But I also don't know what to do other than recommend you convert your files to DV-AVIs before you bring them into Premiere Elements. You can do this with MPEG Streamclip, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 9. Re: message error
                          shab_kav Level 1

THANK YOU!

• 10. Re: message error
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            This error appeared a month ago and i don't know what caused this error.

This might indicate that a setting with your camera might have been changed. Most cameras can record Audio as either 12-bit, or 16-bit. The 12-bit setting is most often used, when one wishes to add narration to the Audio portion of the Clip "in-camera." As one can most effectively add narration, etc., in the editing program, it is not an advised setting.

Usually, PrE can Conform even 12-bit Audio to 32-bit floating point for editing, but sometimes has issues. I'd check your camera's Audio Mode to make sure that nothing has changed here.

When there are such issues, converting to 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, outside of PrE is usually the better choice.

Also, muxed MPEG-Audio can be highly problematic with most Adobe programs. However, as your source footage used to work, but does not now, indicates that something has changed with either your camera, or your computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: message error
                              shab_kav Level 1

Dear hunt'

I think that something happened in my computer becouse now ican't get in to old projects which i have already make them movies.

I am looking for the issue in my computer that make this error.

Thanks

Sabtai

• 12. Re: message error
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I think that something happened in my computer becouse now ican't get in to old projects which i have already make them movies.

This can happen for several reasons. Most often, it's due to the loss of a CODEC, that gets lost with a reinstallation. It can also happen when one installs some software that breaks an existing CODEC, or replaces a necessary one with a version that does not work so well.

What changes have you made between the time you could edit and now? It is highly likely that something was removed, or broken in that process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: message error
                                  shab_kav Level 1

I installed some softwares. What CODEC may i lost, and how can i get it again?

Thanks

Shabtai

• 14. Re: message error
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I installed some softwares. What CODEC may i lost, and how can i get it again?

Unfortunately, this will take detective work. First, what software did you install?

Next, what are the full details of the AV files that will not open/play/edit. You can use G-Spot to find out the full details. It's free, very easy to use and is an invaluable utility on any Video editing computer. It should tell you the name of the missing CODEC(s).

I'd strongly urge you to Google that exact CODEC and go to the source for it, rather than just installing a bunch of random CODEC's, or any CODEC "packs."

If the missing CODEC is one of the PrE ones (MainConcept in nearly all cases), a Repair Install of PrE should replace that/those CODEC(s).

Also, Adobe "hides" their CODEC's pretty well, so the chances are less, that another software installation can actually break them, or replace them. However, what can, and often does, happen is that the new program's CODEC will be setup to take prescendence over the one(s) from Adobe. Again, a Repair Install will most likely correct this. There are also utilities and schemes to alter the priority of CODEC's, but if one is not very comfortable working with the Registry, I'd definitely recommend that one go very slowly, backup everything, and read ALL instructions carefully, so as to not mess things up.

One thing that you can do to test the broken/missing CODEC theory is to first do a new System Restore Point for your setup now. Once that has been done, rollback the OS to a System Restore Point that predates the software installation. I do this from Safe Mode. Test everything. If it now works with the older Restore Point, you have found the general culprit. How you address it will be up to you. You can leave the OS in that earlier configuration, and loose the use of that new software, or address the problem from you most recent Restore Point, by doing the Repair Installation of your Adobe products, or maybe making adjustments to that software's installation, if possible. This can be a bit slow, and might require testing several older Restore Points, but can often confirm the exact time that things went "pear-shaped" on you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: message error
                                      shab_kav Level 1

I tried to find the codec with the GSPOY software but it tald me that the required codecs are installed.

You can find attavhed a file that cant't be plaied or edited.

Thanks

Shabtai

• 16. Re: message error
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        You can find attavhed a file that cant't be plaied or edited.

I just downloaded this MPEG-2 file, and Imported it into PrE 4 (my version). It played fine with both Video & Audio. It did show that it needed to be Rendered for best playback, but looked good without Rendering. What problems are you having with this file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: message error
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that I did notice was that the Audio was AC3 48KHz 6-channel (DD 5.1 SS), but it did come into PrE 4 as 2-channel Audio, and loaded fine onto Audio Track 1, with the Video on Video Track 1. This was in an NTSC DV Project.

Which camera are you using again?

In the past, were you recording as DD 5.1 SS Audio, or were you recording as 2-channel (stereo) Audio. That could be the change that is causing you issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: message error
                                            shab_kav Level 1

The camera is not the problem.

I have SONY camera DCR-DVD405. I always recorded in 48KHz 6-channel (DD 5.1 SS).

The file i send to you was edited in the past with PRE 1 successfully, but now ican't do it.

Shabtai

• 19. Re: message error
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, what are the exact specs. of your Project Preset? Is is set for DD 5.1 SS Audio?

I'll also go look for specs. on your camera. Thanks for listing the make/model.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: message error
                                                shab_kav Level 1

These are the specs of my preset project now: - For editing with IEEE1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) DV equipment.
                                                - Standard PAL video (4:3 interlaced).
                                                - 48kHz (16 bit) audio.
                                                Editing mode: DV Playback
                                                Timebase: 25.00 fps

Video Settings
                                                Frame size: 720h 576v (1.067)
                                                Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
                                                Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV PAL (1.067)
                                                Color depth: Millions of colors

Thanks

Shabtai

• 21. Re: message error
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This is just a theory, but your Project is a standard DV Preset. It's expecting PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit stereo (2-channel) Audio. You are feeding it AC3 DD 5.1 SS Audio @ 48KHz 16-bit.

In later versions of PrE, full support for AC3 DD 5.1 SS was added, at least for AVCHD material. I do not know exactly how AC3 DD 5.1 SS is handled in earlier versions, if at all. In PrPro (PrE's "big-brother"), there was no built-in AC3 support, so one encountered the same exact problem. In those earlier versions, there happened to be an AC3 .dll that shipped with Adobe Encore. Before CS3, Encore was a stand-alone program, unless one bought the Production Studio. As of CS3, Encore was bundled with PrPro. The trick then was to just copy the necessary AC3 .dll from Encore over to PrPro's folder, and all worked perfectly. Note: the exact name of that .dll changed per version number, so I will not mention it exactly, so as to not cause confusion and send one on a wild-goose chase. As of CS4, that "trick" did not work, and it was not until CS4.1, that the AC3 support was fully implemented.

My guess is that you once had a similar .dll in your setup, but that something killed it. It could be as simple as adding an audio editing program, that removed it, and replaced it with its own - one that did not work well in PrE. That is why I asked what software had been installed. Again, I'm just guessing here, but wanted to give the background to my thinking.

One way to address the absence of any missing .dll, etc., would be to convert your AV files to PCM/WAV 2-channel Audio before Import. PrE will not let you export to AC3 DD 5.1 SS Audio (no DD 5.1 SS encoder), so you really loose nothing. Even in PrPro, you must buy a US$250 SurCode DD 5.1 SS encoder plug-in to Export the DD 5.1 SS Audio.

Remember, I'm just guessing here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: message error
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Another way to deal with this, and probably the best way, would be to set the camera to record in PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit stereo (2-channel) Audio and just use those files. Again, you cannot Export DD 5.1 SS from PrE, so you loose nothing. Besides, to get effective DD 5.1 SS, one really needs to do external 5.1 mic'ing, and you will NOT get good 5.1 from any camera. As a matter of fact, one usually picks up all sorts of additional sounds, that they do not want. Shooting in 5.1 is a very involved process and is much better with pro audio gear, but camera mfgr's. love to add "gadgets" and employ the latest "buzz-words," to make the consumer think that they are getting something neat.

It could be that you originally had your camera set to record 2-channel and that a setting got changed to 5.1. That could account for your once being able to easily edit the files too.

My advice to anyone whose camera has 5.1 Audio capabilities is to not use that. The resulting effect will not be what they are thinking of, and the Audio will often be far inferior to what they would get with stereo, plus they'll have editing issues. Leave 5.1 to the pros with six specialized mics, specialized recorders and mixers, and years of experience.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: message error
                                                      shab_kav Level 1

How can i change the recording audio in the camera?

• 24. Re: message error
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        How can i change the recording audio in the camera?

Unfortunately, I cannot help you there. Maybe someone, who has that camera, can help you out.

Most cameras have a series of menus, where all aspects of the recording (both Video & Audio) can be set. My Canon allows me to choose 12-bit for in-camera narration addition, or 16-bit for normal Audio recording. This is from the Audio Setup Menu. I would assume that your camera has similar, though with more options. There should be a full section on Audio and Menus in the manual, though some cameras come with rather poor documentation. If this is the case, maybe the mfgr. has a downloadable PDF with better documentation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: message error
                                                          shab_kav Level 1

I installed the video chat ooVoo, and i am afraid that this software made me the troubles

I looked for audio setup in my camera to change to 16 bits rate. I didn't find in the operation book how to change the setup.

Thank you for all your efforts to help me.

Regards

Shabtai

• 26. Re: message error
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                            installed the video chat ooVoo, and i am afraid that this software made me the troubles

I have not heard of this software. It is possible that a chat software could mess things up, but I have never used any - sorry.

I looked for audio setup in my camera to change to 16 bits rate. I didn't find in the operation book how to change the setup.

Here again, I would have assumed that the camera's manual would have had a full section on the Audio recording and the Menus to navigate to it. Maybe someone knows your camera and can direct you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: message error
                                                              shab_kav Level 1

I intend to look for somone who recognize the camera.

Shabtai