21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2010 11:03 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

Bring back PDF Presentation...

dmskin

Hi for some reason in CS4 they got rid of the PDF Presentation option. I find this a amazing too. Many times when I have lots of windows open this is the easiest way to combine them in a PDF ready to send to the client.

For the life of me I can't understand why you got rid of this feature.

Please bring it back!!!

• 1. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
          GeorgeReis Level 1

I also miss PDF Presentation, although creating PDFs in Bridge is pretty nice.

A feature that was tied to PDF Presentation was the Layer Comps to PDF script. I used this frequently, and I know many users who also did. Some have stuck with older versions of Photoshop so that they don't lose this feature. It would be nice if we could get this feature back - either in a future version, a dot release, or as a plug-in.

George

• 2. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
            TDog525

We are just now, finally, making the move from CS3 to 4 and I have to say I'm not happy to hear that a tool I use on a regular basis is not in the "improved" software. Is there any sort of patch from the previous version or do we just have to hope that Adobe fixes what seems to be an obvious

oversight?

Tom

• 3. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
              hoppy_p

I would also like to see the PDF presentation option brought back to CS4. There are somethings that have dropped off the scale that have not been missed but this is one that has.

• 4. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                DAZ167

This is a feature that I used regularly and I really miss in CS4.  I have maintained CS3 on my system just to maintain the functionality.

Tracy

• 5. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                  stevehrps

I can't believe it - I use the PDF presentation all the time - it's crucial to our business.

I am in the process of making a business case for upgrading to CS4 extended and this may stop me in my tracks.

Come on Adobe - listen to your customers... we need this ability. Why remove it in the first place?

• 6. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                    1stbadgercfva

Layer Comps to PDF Presentation as an export option needs to come back to CS4 or CS5 Photoshop.  I shouldn't have to keep CS3 on my PC to have an efficient workflow.  Please listen to forensic image and video analysts on this one.  Photoshop needs this back again.

Scott in Madison

• 7. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                      ctidlab

We've retired CS3 ... here's another vote to bring back PDF presentation and Layer Comps to PDF.

• 8. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                        joebuilderit

I still use CS3, and this is one of the reasons (besides upgrade costs). It'll really help sell our department if this is brought back for 4.

~Joe at campingcarooners.com

• 9. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                          elstinko Level 1

I too and brign back Layer Comps to PDF!

• 10. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                            audiovideogeek

PDF presentation saves time and storage in many workflows, and is the reason I keep CS3 around. Time is money and storage is a precious resource.

PLEASE CONSIDER BRINGING THIS FEATURE BACK.

Thx

• 11. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                              ScottS01

Please bring back Layer Comps to PDF. Why exclude it? A very handy tool for a lot of people!

• 12. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                theroch

Please bring back layer comps to PDF

• 13. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                  Darren Bails

Please bring back PDF Presentation and Layer Comps to PDF.  We in law enforcement would also like a more comprehensive History Log and an FFT tool as well.

• 14. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                    Figaro 1332

To echo the pleas of others; Please bring PDF presentation back to Photoshop. The fact that I have to keep CS3 in my PC in order to use this essential tool is ridiculus, especially considering the large amount of disk space occupied by keeping both versions. It is the reason, but not the sole reason, that I have not upgraded any work computers beyond CS3ext and will not upgrade my CS4 at home. Why buy another version without the tools if find most useful? The other reason I keep CS3 is to use the right click feature to access duplicate/image side/canvas size. Why in the world would you get rid of this convenient and time saving feature? Yes, using an Action as a workaround is an option but it's exactly that, a workaround rather than a solution.

Consider the idea that for every person who writes to you on this forum, you have another 100+ users who feel the same way but don't know how to contact you about it!

• 15. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I hope everyone in this thread is aware that you are supposed to use Bridge now to do this. Its fairly efficient, and has a lot of options as far as I can see. Is there anything that you could do in the CS3 version of PDF presentation, that you cannot do from within Bridge?

• 16. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Didn’t Photoshop’s PDF Presentation include the possibility to combine (open) images as they were, thus combining images of different pixel dimensions without resampling in one pdf?

Can one do that with Bridge?

• 17. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I've still got CS3 on my machine. In PDF presentation, I can't see way of doing that. Options seem extremely limited

- maybe I'm missing something, but every way of generating a PDF from open images, seems to resample to fit the document dimensions. As you would expect.

Why would anyone want to have a multi page PDF, containing images of very different resolutions for delivery that way? Thats not what PDF, as a format is for surely.

• 18. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                            GeorgeReis Level 1

On Jul 18, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

I hope everyone in this thread is aware that you are supposed to use Bridge now to do this. Its fairly efficient, and has a lot of options as far as I can see.

-----

There are several things that make PDF Presentation and LayerComps to PDF superior to the Output Module in Bridge.

First, if one has several images of the same size that they simply want to create a PDF from at the native resolution, it is easy to do with PDF Presentation. Setting up the proper document size, resolution, layout, etc. in Bridge is cumbersome, by comparison.

Second, in order to create a multi-page PDF document in Bridge, you have to save those files separately in Photoshop, then jump to Bridge, then create the PDF. Suppose your protocol requires you to save intermediary files, they you may have dozens or hundreds of potentially large, multi-layered documents that take up gigabytes of space in this scenario.

Third, with LayerComps to PDF, the case is even stronger. In this case you have only one document, but may have hundreds of LayerComps. To create a multipage PDF document you have to export each LayerComp to a separate file, save them, navigate to Bridge, then deal with creating the PDF document in the same resolution, etc. Even if you don't have a requirement to save intermediary files, you have spend considerable time and used substantial hard drive space to create those intermediary files that didn't used to need to be created.

The Output Module in Bridge is great - but it isn't a replacement for PDF Presentation or for LayerComps to PDF. A common workflow for me now takes substantially longer, is more difficult to accomplish, and creates hundreds of intermediary files that I have no need of.

George

• 19. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Ok - these are all very good points -  first and third of your points particularly are very reasonable .

1 It should be possible to easily create a same size PDF from within Bridge - this doesn't seem to be possible at the moment. I've no idea why, it seems fairly strange I agree. However for a single page - 'Save as PDF' from Photoshop does the same thing obviously.

2 This point I don't really understand  - you say "Suppose your protocol requires you to save intermediary files" - if this is the case I suggest you change your protocol. However I can see how you may want to generate a PDF from temporary versions of the files that you have open, and that don't want to save - lets say watermarking or overlayed something.

3  Layer comps to PDF was a useful Script in Photoshop CS3 -  I can see it being useful for some. I guess it was discontinued because someone decided to take the ability to output multiple page PDF's out of Photoshop altogether. The idea being that Bridge would take over, and do all this stuff. But unfortunately, and after all these revisions it fairly clear to say, the Bridge team seem to have fallen short in this.

Ok good feature request - "Reintroduce the ability to export multiple page PDF directly from Photoshop"  - supported

• 20. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                                Level 7

And thank you for giving reasons why it shouldn't exist only in Bridge.

• 21. Re: Bring back PDF Presentation...
                                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                                                  In PDF presentation, I can't see way of doing that.

I’ve checked on a neighboring station that has CS3 and by selecting the open documents and setting the pdf-Compression settings to Do Not Downsample one can do it.

pdfpres.jpg

Why would anyone want to have a multi page PDF, containing images of very different resolutions for delivery that way? Thats not what PDF, as a format is for surely.

Admittedly it is not something terribly important, but for example for an overview of material from different sources it may be useful.