2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 9:19 PM by sfjedi

Copy or Cut Selected Layer Command

sfjedi Level 1

I've made a similar request before, but I just thought of a new angle that might make this more acceptable for existing users.

Ultimately, what I want is a command that would allow me to copy or paste the contents of a layer or layer group into the system clipboard. It would have to be in the clipboard as PSD data to hold this information, of course.

Ideally, this function would only replace CTRL+C and CTRL+X (Windows) and only if a layer or layer group was selected in the layers panel. If this is unacceptable for some users, make this functionality a checkbox that I can check somewhere in the preferences. Otherwise, they can just be completely separate commands that can be mappable by separate keyboard shortcuts, but I'd rather see the checkbox solution just mentioned because it's more intuitive.

Either way, I'm sure this feature could be incorporated without changing the way things work currently in PS. At least, by default. Have *me* go out of my way to check this checkbox, by all means! It shouldn't be the other way around.

• 1. Re: Copy or Cut Selected Layer Command
          Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

I think we are back to "hey Jed, you know this is not Corel Photopaint don't you?" again, aren't we

• 2. Re: Copy or Cut Selected Layer Command
            sfjedi Level 1

Reynolds (Mark) wrote:

I think we are back to "hey Jed, you know this is not Corel Photopaint don't you?" again, aren't we

Fortunately, everyone is not as naive as you.

Who cares where the idea came from? In fact, the idea is deeper than Corel PHOTO-PAINT. It comes from operating systems! When you click on something and it is highlighted it becomes your selection, which can then be cut, copied and pasted.

Don't believe me?

I just performed an experiment on my roommate who is a seasoned Windows user. He's 33 years old, works in networking, and said that he's used Windows almost his entire life.

I started up Adobe Photoshop and loaded up a photo. I then asked him if he was familiar with layers. He said, "No." I said, "Perfect!" He had no idea what information I was trying to extract from this experiment and he has no idea that I even *use* Corel PHOTO-PAINT, let alone have such a passion for it. I tried to keep this experiment as unbiased as possible.

I told him to create a new layer. I even pointed at the layers panel and said, "That's your layers panel. Go ahead and create a new layer." He couldn't figure it out. "That's OK," I said. "That's not really the focus of this experiment anyway." I showed him where the button was and he created 3 layers and painted different-color brush strokes on each layer with a little guidance from me. I then told him to select Layer 2 (the one in the middle) and then to select the Move Tool.

"Stop!" I said. "Now, what do you expect to happen if you hit CTRL+X right now?"

He explained that he would expect the entire layer (Layer 2) to be cut out. Of course, as we all know, that's not what happened.

It goes without saying that the exact same step process would give the expected result within Corel PHOTO-PAINT.

That said, let me lay something out for you that you may not have noticed.

In Adobe Photoshop:

1. Select the move tool.
            2. Select a layer.
            3. Hit the Delete button.

What happens? The layer is deleted. Very good! This is what I expect to happen! But replace step 3 with CTRL+X or CTRL+C and it's a completely different story.

Why!? Seriously... *why*, Adobe!?

If I wanted to cut or copy a marquee selection I would first select any of the available marquee selection tools!

This is what I mean when I say Adobe Photoshop is far from intuitive. Put a seasoned Windows user on the software and see how long it takes him to figure it out. The learning curve is unnecessary because the software is not intuitive! This example is one of the most annoying because it goes against the grain of basic operating system functionality.

As a side note, I fired up Corel PP and asked my roommate to do the exact same thing. He said that the New Layer icon within PP made more sense than PS as well, but I said it was probably because he already knew where to look.

Mark, you probably think I'm too biased to say stuff like that, but I'm not like that! I was defending PS here. Imagine that!

Even still, he said, "No. The icon itself makes more sense to me that it's actually creating something new than the one in Photoshop."

Make your own conclusions.