4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 8:52 AM by Jan Fabry

Flash Builder Beta 2 crashes repeatedly - thought?

nfajem

I just downloaded the Flash Builder Beta 2 on receiving an invite to do so. I have successfully installed the IDE and now it seems to repeatedly crash. Sometime the crash occurs on startup, other times just a few operations after startup. I typically never really get that far before it implodes.

Here's some info that might help out:

• I already have Flex 3 Builder installed.
      • I'm on a Mac, running Snow Leopard (10.6.1)
      • My JDK version info is:

java version "1.6.0_15"
      Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219)
      Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)

I have included a crash report generated by OS X for your consumption.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Cheers,

Niran

• 1. Re: Flash Builder Beta 2 crashes repeatedly - thought?
          ronnylovtangen

Same problem, chrashes every time I switch from source view to design view.

Too bad, since design view is the only reason I'm trying out Flash Builder, for source view I stick to IntelliJ.

Well, found out that if I switch to Java 5, 32-bit, then Flash Builder don't chrash anymore.

Open Java Preferences, and drag "J2SE 5.0 32-bit" to the top under "Java Applications".

But, since Snow Leopard doesn't come with Java 5 (Java 5 is a symlink to 6), I guess you first have to follow the instructions to install Java 5 on Snow Leopard: http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard

• 2. Re: Flash Builder Beta 2 crashes repeatedly - thought?
            Jan Fabry

If you want to change the VM for Flash Builder only, but not change it system-wide, you can edit the FlashBuilder.ini file (in FlashBuilder.app/Contents/MacOS/FlashBuilder.ini, or right-click FlashBuilder, "Show package contents"). This is equivalent to eclipse.ini in regular Eclipse installs. On the Eclipse wiki, you can read that you can add -vm

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/bin/java (before -vmargs) to select another Java VM. Or course, you need to install that older version first.

It seems to work for me...

• 3. Re: Flash Builder Beta 2 crashes repeatedly - thought?
              mcgraphix Level 1

I see this same problem on Vista 64 bit. I have 6 GB of memory but the error message always says that it is an out of memory error. I hope they fix this in the final release.

After making the changes to the vm in the .ini file, FlashBuilder won't even start. I can see the process start in the task manager, but then it just disappears but not error message is shown anywhere.

• 4. Re: Flash Builder Beta 2 crashes repeatedly - thought?
                Jan Fabry Level 1

I believe Eclipse does not use all the memory that is available, but limits itself to the value set in eclipse.ini. If you change the -Xms and -Xmx options, you can increase the memory limit and try again. -Xmx is the maximum memory limit, it is set to 512m in my file, but try 1g or even more.