3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 10:22 PM by Jim_Simon

A Question About DVR Files and Video Quality

ThanosNaranja

I know this is not strictly Adobe related but please bear with me on this question.  It would greatly relieve my curiosity!

I regularly copy broadcast tv shows and dubb them to rewritable DVD on my Phillips DVR (best piece of home entertainment equipment I ever bought).  There are several different resolutions to choose from when dubbing a show from HDD to DVD; such as SPP, SLP, HIGH, HQ.  As the quality goes up, of course, the size goes up - no problem there.  My question is about when I select the HQ or next highest quality mode SPP.  The file sizes are larger of course but instead of one set of files (VTS_01_1.VOB & VTS_01_2.VOB) for one copy of the program dubbed to the DVD when using a lower video quality resolution, with the HQ method there are two sets of files (VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB & VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_02_2.VOB). The second set is (or appears to be) an exact copy of the first set.  They both seem to contain the same content.

Why is this?  Is the High Quality achieved by somehow combing the two sets of files during simultaneous playback?