12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 7:13 PM by A.T. Romano

Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8

A.T. Romano Level 7

There may be some understanding circulating at another forum about Premiere Elements 8 integration with Photoshop Elements versions earlier than 8. In my first look at the new versions, I am trying to separate the facts from the fiction and determine if I have unique copies of the programs that behave differently from everyone else's. I have observed that you can break apart the Photoshop Elements 6 and 7 slideshow in Premiere Elements 8 with the Premiere Elements 8 command now named "Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow".

Preface

With earlier versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements, we have observed that, in order to break apart the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor slideshow once it got to Premiere Element, you had to:

1. have an integrated set installed on the same computer, namely, Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3, Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4, or Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7.

and

2. have used the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor Output Option "Send to Premiere Elements" to send the non .wmv version of the slideshow to Premiere Elements

and

When you met these criteria, the "Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow" command would be available in Premiere Elements when you right clicked the slideshow on the Premiere Elements Timeline.

My Observations

I have Windows XP Professional SP3 with Photoshop Elements 3, 6, 7, and 8 and Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7 and 8 installed.

1. Created a Slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slideshow Editor, clicked on Output, and selected Send to Premiere Elements.

2. Premiere Elements 8 was launched and, after going through it's usual routine opened into a new project workspace. And, as with Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8, the slideshow did not get transferred automatically. You had to go back to the still opened Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 and repeat Output, followed by Send to Premiere Elements. At this point, an Add Media dialog flashed on the screen, and the Premiere Elements 8 now had:

a. the slideshow in video form on the Timeline

and

b. in the media panel, a folder with the slideshow components as well as the file for the slideshow in the video format

3. If you right clicked the slideshow on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline and selected the command "Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow", it did just that. Also, I should add that rendering the Timeline was important to getting the best possible preview of the slideshow for transitions, pans & zooms, and the like. When all that was done, all went well.

This is an important point in the integration of Premiere Elements 8 with Photoshop Elements versions earlier than 8, so I would hope that we can iron this matter out. All observations welcomed.

Was the statement at the other forum based on extrapolation from earlier version situations or first hand observation with Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements versions earlier than 8?

ATR

• 1. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's not been my experience, Tony. In version 8, you can start a slideshow in the Organizer, and output it as Edit in Premiere Elements.

It will automatically open Premiere Elements (or prompt you to open a new or existing project) and then load the slideshow to the end of the timeline.

Once it's there, you have the option of right-clicking it and breaking it apart for further editing.

• 2. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

I would agree with you that the Photoshop Elements 8 slideshow output option does launch Premiere Elements 8. After that is where we differ. And our difference in observations after that is confirmed in the known problems listed by Adobe for the integrated Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8. Check it out. I would add that, if I have Premiere Elements 8 opened in a new project workspace before I hit the Photoshop Elements 8 Send to Premiere Elements, then everything goes as expected based on the transfers seen in earlier versions.

But, that is not the major point of my posting which is that I am disputing the claim/assumption of one of your moderators that you have to have Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 to be able to get an active Break Apart Slideshow command in Premiere Elements 8. For some reason the old thinking is not holding up for Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements versions earlier than 8. With a Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 slideshow which opens in Premiere Elements 8 after the Photoshop Element 6 or 7 Send to Premiere Elements, I DO get an active break apart slideshow option. And, I thought it important enough to nip any misconceptions in the bud before it got written into history. This is not a one shot observation on my side. It has been repeatable in the tryout version that I have been using for about 22 days. And, I will confirm it with the purchased version soon. The basis for and the details for my comments are all spelled out in my initial post in this thread.

To be continued....

ATR

• 3. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8

For what it's worth, Tony, that feature is not designed across versions of the program, and it's not fair to expect it to.

To use it successfully -- and it even says so in the Readme file, I believe -- both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements need to be the same version. So I'm not surprised you can't break apart the slideshow interchange file when you launch a slideshow from Photo Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8.

• 4. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Where am I losing you in my communications? You say in your last post....

So I'm not surprised you can't break apart the slideshow interchange file when you launch a slideshow from Photo Elements 6 to Premiere Elements 8.

I have said it in the two previous posts, I can! I can with the Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slideshow Editor Slideshow, the Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Output Option Send to Premiere Elements and Premiere Elements 8. It is an unexpected perk which I am not complaining about, just reporting that it does happen, and I am trying to create awareness as well as to prevent generalizations being made to obscure the fact that it does happen. Why does it happen now? As Max and Leo sang in the Broadway show "The Producers", Adobe might sing in "Where did I go right?"

ATR

• 5. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                  Barb__O Level 4

A T Romano,

Referencing the Premiere Elements 8 Read Me that you posted at

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50793&highlight=read&page=2

in the Photoshop Elements Integration section of the Read Me, it says

'Send to Premiere Elements 8.0 will not work from older versions of Photoshop Elements"

• 6. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BarbO

You point out....

in the Photoshop Elements Integration section of the Read Me, it says

'Send to Premiere Elements 8.0 will not work from older versions of Photoshop Elements".

I have also read the Adobe ReadMe for Premiere Elements 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8. But, I have looked into all the ReadMe claims on this matter, have actually tested them, and cannot confirm what an Adobe technical writer put in that Adobe ReadMe Known Issues list for Premiere Elements 8 regarding the Premiere Elements 8 break apart slideshow feature. Have you actually tried this yourself? If not, I would welcome any first hand observations by you, Steve Grisetti, or anyone else who is observing that you cannot:

1. use the Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slideshow Editor Slideshow Ouput "Send to Premiere Elements"

and

2. have the Premiere Elements 8 option now called Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow functional.

So, I would ask:

1. Have you actually tried this?

2. If you have and are not observing what I have, what is your computer operating system?
                    And, assuming that you have Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8 installed on the same computer, what other versions of these programs do you also have installed on this same computer?

Until this Premiere Elements 8 break apart issue arose, I had just commented on the slideshow transfer between Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8, which I now find requires an opened Premiere Elements 8 to work in contrast to earlier integrated sets.  This transfer process is included in the same ReadMe as a known issue for thePhotoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration. Yet Steve Grisetti says that he does not see that, and it is business as usual for him in the Photoshop Elements 8 slideshow transfer to Premiere Elements 8.  I am assuming that he saw that first hand and is not going on experiences with the older versions. So, I would not hold the Read Me Known Issues as bible, but would check it out first hand.

Also, all of the above puts "the horse before the cart". Contrary to what the Premiere Elements 8 ReadMe says, I do get an active "Send to Premiere Elements" Output option in Photoshop Elements 6 or 7 Slideshow Editor, and it gets me to the Premiere Elements 8 break apart feature (now called Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow) that I have been commenting on in the intital phase of my response to you.

This whole matter might make a good Steve Grisetti poll question for those who have actually done some testing on the subject. Please let me know that basis for your position and then maybe we can work out the difference to benefit the user community. I should have the purchased versions of Photoshop Element 8 and Premiere Elements 8 soon, so I will be able to take "tryout" from the equation. I have been working with the tryouts of both programs for 23 days, and the observations have been consistent through.

ATR

• 7. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8

We can certainly open it up for discussion, Tony. Although, sometimes, the deeper we dig into something, the more unclear it all becomes.

Though I certainly appreciate how deeply you dig into the program! If you're going to test drive a car, after all, you might as well drive it over the railroad tracks and slam on the brakes.

• 8. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BarbO

Just two add ons...

That should be cart before the horse, not horse before the cart, but you get the idea.

And I left out the "out" at the end, which should read throughout rather than through.

ATR

• 9. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

If you road test a car, I would NOT consider the ABNORMAL/EXTREME "driving it over railroad tracks and slamming on the breaks"  as part of NORMALLY testing out a new car. I would probably end up with wheel alignment problems or getting hit by an oncoming train.

BUT, in testing the new Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8, I consider the mechanics of Photoshop Elements Premiere Elements integration as a NORMAL and a needed part of the test run.

Although Adobe would encourage an upgrade of both programs at the same time when new version time rolls around or maintaining integrated sets, it may not be practical for some to have integrated sets. So, for the latter, we need to have unified information on how these versions integrate or do not.

Thank you in advance for your help in generating unified information on the matter based on first hand observations. If there is no one out there using non integrated sets, the matter would be a non issue.

ATR

• 10. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Yesterday I finally obtained and installed purchased copies of Photoshop Elements 8.0 and Premiere Elements 8.0 on my Windows XP SP3 32 bit computer system and had it up and running in no time without problems. On the same computer were Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4 and Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7. At another time and in another thread I will describe in detail how I went about doing that. The latest versions of these programs were purchased as a boxed buddled set from a local retailer.

As detailed by me in earlier posts in this thread, in the tryout versions of these programs, I had problems transferring the Photoshop Elements 8 Slide Show Editor slideshow to Premiere Elements 8 with the Photoshop Elements 8 Slide Show Editor Output option = Edit with Premiere Elements. I had to use the workaround previously described. This problem that I ran into was consistent with the known issues cited in the programs' read me file, but not consistent with what Steve Grisetti said he was observing, that is, the typical seamless workflow transfer from program to program of that Photoshop Elements slideshow. Now a few weeks later, same computer environment, same slideshow, but now with purchased copies of software, there are NO problems in the transfer from Photoshop Elements 8 to Premiere Elements 8, using the Photoshop Elements 8 Slide Show Editor Output option = Edit With Premiere Element. And, when that slideshow is on the Premiere Elements 8 Timeline, I can right click the video, select Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow, and that will happen without problems.

However, on the matter of the following integrated sets of these programs and the availability of the Premiere Elements break apart feature....

Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 4

Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7

Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8

The old thinking and finding is/was that you needed an integrated set in order to have the break apart feature available in integrated Premiere Elements. I found that true for 5/3, 6/4, and 7/7 sets, but not for the 8 version of Premiere Elements. For both tryouts as well as purchased copies of Premiere Elements 8, the Premiere Elements break apart feature was available with non integrated sets such as:

Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elements 8

Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 8

Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8

So, for unified information on this matter, Stever Grisetti and BarbO, I would ask one more time, have you actually tried this or are you basing your comments (which are contrary to mine on the matter), on old thinking applied to new versions?

In addition, other user experiences on this topic would be very helpful, especially for those that want to upgrade Premiere Elements from 4 or 7 to 8 but not necessarily Photoshop Elements from 6 or 7 to 8.

ATR

• 11. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                              Barb__O Level 4

ATR

As I said before, I based my conclusion on the statement in the Premiere Elements 8 ReadMe file.

"Send to Premiere Elements 8.0 will not work from older versions of Photoshop  Elements."

I did not attempt to test what that file said was not supported.

• 12. Re: Breaking Apart Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow in Premiere Elements 8
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

BarbO

Thank you for that clarification. Do you have the appropriate Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements programs installed on any computers available to you so that you could do a mini test to see what you get in this type of situation?

It is questionable whether this "new" Adobe integration/break apart slideshow arrangement is my Adobe intent or mistake/oversight. It surely is not a Photoshop Elements marketing feature from their point of view.

ATR