7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2009 3:04 PM by Liz NZ

White screen flash on page load in Firefox

Liz NZ

Hi

I'm new to this - have just built a website in Dreamweaver CS4 which has a different Flash banner on each page with a fade in/out text.

My problem is that in Firefox the whole screen flashes white for a second when moving from page to page. It seems to work fine in IE.

It might be a really simple problem but I have googled and can't seem to find a fix. Can anybody help or offer suggestions.

The link is www.braveheart.org.nz

Thanks

liz

• 1. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

That white flash is the background for the Flash movie showing before the movie loads. This will happen in every browser if the Flash movies aren't already in the cache. Purge the cache in IE and you'll see the same thing.

• 2. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox
            Liz NZ Level 1

Hi Thanks for that. I had wondered whether it was related to the cache but had decided it couldnt be because it kept on occurring even when i was going back to each page repeatedly on a visit. But then again it seems to be working on Firefox today and only intermittently causes the white flash. I have had the client complaining that it is happening to her so I hoped it could be something that I could fix.

Liz

• 3. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox

You can't fix html but you might be able to make the transition less startling. You could redesign your Flash file so that you have a fade in of the content, or a progressive addition of the content: bring in some elements and then others over time. You want to try and make the new content show up in a more pleasing way.

• 4. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox
                Liz NZ Level 1

Thanks. It is a very simple banner - just an image in the background and 
                text fading in and out. The white screen flash effect seems to occur across 
                the entire screen (not just the banner area) everytime you go to each page in Firefox and 
                doesnt seem have any relationship to the cache because it keeps happening 
                everytime you visit the page. Isn't this going to occur when the Flash file 
                starts regardless of the content? I thought about having the banner image as 
                a background image in the banner div, and then bringing the fading in/out 
                text only in as Flash file but I dont think you can have Flash with a 
                transparent background on IE??
                Liz

• 5. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox

I thought it was the Flash "flash" that was annoying your client, not the page refresh flash. There is absolutely nothing that you can do about that except maybe sitting next to them and distracting them each time they go to a new page, but that will take a lot of your time. Seriously, if the client is complaining about the screen refresh, there is nothing that you can do for them.

• 6. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox
                    Liz NZ Level 1

Good idea! But seriously, I am rather confused and frustrated by it too. I am not sure I am describing exactly what the problem is very well. I have spent SO much time flicking from page to page on this site in Firefox and sometimes it doesn't happen at all and the pages change smoothly. Then other times it has this complete page white flash which is quite disconcerting. I don't seem to notice this same problem occurring on other websites with Flash content.  It is definitely caused by the Flash file on the page because on the events page it never happens. I have just tried to do the banner as an animated gif in Fireworks because it is just an image and fading text - but the result in Fireworks so far isnt very smooth.

• 7. Re: White screen flash on page load in Firefox
                      Liz NZ Level 1

Actually I have just noticed that if I clear the cache in Firefox and then go back to the Braveheart site forcing it to open the pages from scratch.....then it seems to work OK for awhile with no white screen  flash or flicker. So it must have something to do with the Cache but then it starts flashing all over again after that.