12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 7:57 AM by JamesAB

Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

JamesAB

Hello everyone.

I have imported an hour long video and split it into scenes using "Scene detection". All the clips have the same id, i.e., there is no appended sequence number. I'm sure sequence numbers have been added to clips I have used in the past. Have I missed something?

In addidion when I open a scene in its preview window from the edit box, either the video starts playing from the begining or from part way into that clip. Is there anyway I can make this preview window start at the begining of the selected clip?

Thank you.

Jim

• 1. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the software are you using? Also, what type of camcorder was this video captured from and how was it connected to your computer?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
            JamesAB Level 1

Hi Steve,

The video was originaly captured. from a Sony Handycam DCR H35, as .avi onto my laptop PC (whilst on a cruise ship!) using windows movie maker and a firewire connection. The resulting file was transferred to my desktop PC and imported into Premiere Elements 7.

Thanks

Jim

• 3. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

So did Windows MovieMaker divide the video by scenes as you captured, or did you break up the scenes with Premiere Elements after the video was captured?

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

Okay, that's why they all have the same name.

When you break a clip into scenes after capture, you aren't actually breaking it into individual clips. You just break it into sub-clips of the original.

Double-click on a clip to open it in the Clip Monitor. You'll see that it's still the big clip -- it just has In and Out Points at the beginning of the "scene". You can even adjust the In and Out Points if you want.

For what it's worth, though, you can rename the clips manually by right-clicking on them in the Project media panel and selecting Rename.

• 6. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
                  JamesAB Level 1

Thanks for this Steve.

Just for the record, How should I have imported the video and used the scene detect so that the clips would have had an individual name assigned. In addition, when doing the scene detect, is it possible to generate these as individual sections or are they always just indexed sections of the original, large, video?

Thanks

Jim

• 7. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

When you're capturing miniDV over FireWire, most software will break your video into individual clips, based on your timecode, by default.(By timecode means that it breaks a scene every time you paused or turned off the camcorder as you were shooting.)

I'm surprised MovieMaker didn't do that for you. Premiere Elements certainly does!

• 8. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
                      JamesAB Level 1

Hmm, I think I told MM not to do it because I wanted to transfer the hour long .avi into PE 7 and do it there. It did split the video into scenes (presumably based on time code) but all the "scenes" have the same id. - Which is the problem I was trying to solve because I need their sequence of capture.

Thanks

Jim

• 9. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

I'm not sure I understand your plan, Jim. But Scenalyzer will break a large clip into smaller ones based on a variety of criteria. It's not free, but it's also relatively inexpensive.

• 10. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
                          JamesAB Level 1

Hi Steve.

Sorry to be a pain - I probably hadn't explained myself properly:

There was no problem in getting the original video split into scenes. The problem was that I then had quite a lot of scenes with exactly the same identification numbers. Now, I know that, when using the edit function in PE7 they can be listed either in descending or ascending order. In addition the thumbnails displayed go a long way to ensuring that the user (me) knows what is what. Unfortunately - maybe this is me having a senior moment - when most of the thumbnails look very similar and when there is a great numberof them, it can be very difficult to find the ones you want and ensure that they are put into the tineline in the correct sequence.

Now, I thought that in previous work that I had done a sequence number was appended to the clips during the detection. Obviously I am mistaken.

The other issue was when opening clips in the preview window I found that the span of the clip in the original video was not always clearly indicated. If I played the Scene it could start for the begining of the entire video, before the scene, part way along it or even after it! Sometimes I needed to expand the window to find the scene section and the "in and out" indicators would be closed so that I had to first find them and then drag them apart to play the scene!

It is just that I couldn't remember having to do this before - when I selected a scene to preview, the preview started form the begining of the scene whithout any fuss!

Nevertheless I can manage! Thanks for your time & help

Jim

• 11. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.

Well, it sounds like the reason your captured clips all had the same name is because you captured them with MovieMaker. Premiere Elements, as I said, will certainly give each clip its own name.

As for the Clip Monitor, remember that, when you open any clip, the "live" area of the clip -- the only part that actually plays on the timeline -- is the area between its In and Out Points. That's the purple area on the Clip Monitor's mini-timeline.

Does that help?

Lots more helpful stuff like that in my books, of course.

• 12. Re: Clip Identification in Edit Box and its display in preview window.
                              JamesAB Level 1

Hi Steve, thats what I wanted to be sure off that PE will identify each clip

with a unique number. MM certainly names each clip but with the same number!

I know that the live area of the clip is between the in and out points, the

point I was making was that sometines this is not visible by being "off

screen" and the in and out points were closed - no purple area was visible-

and the points had to be pulled appart to show it. It would appear that most

if not all of the movie was being compressed, by default to fit the timelime

and therefore the clip was not immediatly apparent. I wonder if this is

anything to do with capturing the video with MM?

Jim

PS I'll get round to looking at one of your books sometime